Re: Money

I forget how many strikers we have at the club - other than it's a lot! For me the biggest waste of money has been shelling out for so many in January and not addressing the supply source to the strikers. Whoever plays they are feeding off scraps and have been for months. Hindsight is easy but I'm convinced our original forward line would have been more prolific these last few months if we'd added two decent standard creative players instead.

JonD wrote:I'd be dead set against the likes of Twamley being shoved through the revolving door onto the pitch for a fruitless 45 minutes partnering whoever happens to be upfront that day before being rejected as "no good".
Twamley is a left sided FB,WB or winger,he isn’t a striker so,I agree,don’t play him up there.

JonD wrote:Further to that, good young players will prefer to sign for clubs who can demonstrate consistent success in bringing young players on. We can't do that. It's a downward spiral.
The Sporting Director has a remit to bridge the gap between academy and first team,there is talk of a development squad being formed to help that.

Exactly. The remit is to build a link between the academy and the first team via a development squad in which players can bridge the huge gap, physical in part, between youth football and L2. I really like the idea.

It should make us a more attractive choice for families as kids who are good but not quite good enough or big enough won't automatically be ditched at 18.

Percy plunkett wrote:
JonD wrote:I'd be dead set against the likes of Twamley being shoved through the revolving door onto the pitch for a fruitless 45 minutes partnering whoever happens to be upfront that day before being rejected as "no good".
Twamley is a left sided FB,WB or winger,he isn’t a striker so,I agree,don’t play him up there.
But you get the point I was trying to make?

wattsville_boy wrote:
County ranger wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I would hope the Director of Football role is one initiated by the BOD because they can see how Flynn's signings have been mainly miss after miss. It'll be interesting to see who gets the job when it's advertised. Flynn is likely to favour either someone he's played with or has worked under but County need to be looking for someone who has experience of lower league football and good contacts throughout football.

On the money front I'm not as worried going forward. No promotion is likely to see many of the bigger earners leaving the club. The DoF and Flynn will then have an opportunity to build a new squad, hopefully with the creativity County currently lack and the ability to grind results out playing on a bog of a pitch.

For me the biggest change County have to make is bringing through Academy players into the playing squad. I don't buy that none of the kids in recent years have been good enough, I just think that's an easy excuse for not giving them an opportunity and spending money on "journeyman" players instead. Give Flynn a quota of one player under 20 in each match day team (no point in making it in the squad because they'll remain an unused substitute) in any contract extension (if offered).
Flynn can be criticised for signings but I am not sure criticism of bringing youth through is justified. What evidence is there that any of the academy players are any good at professional level. I cannot think of any academy player released who has made it - didn’t we also sell a couple who didn’t make it. Both Bristol with Lee Evans and Aaron Collins and Cardiff with Regan Poole made big academy mistakes that banked us £250k plus don’t think we have made any such mistakes?
Question should be asked not of Flynn but the academy management who have let him down with their selection and / or development of talent.
I understand your point about Academy players but if you're not going to give them any opportunity then they surely will never make it. The argument doesn't hold much water when Flynn is happy to take other teams U23 squad players and play them which suggests he doesn't necessarily have problems with youngsters per se, just with the youngsters in the County Academy or the Academy set-up itself.

What would be interesting is if Flynn were to move on (and he may feel if he can't get promotion with the team this season that he's come as far as he can with County) would the next Manager be looking to integrate some of the Academy players or not?
I think any manager Flynn included would include any youngster if they were good enough - the judgement is that other teams youngsters are better - so unless the academy management can improve the quality I can’t see the situation changing.
As I said above no one has made Flynn look amiss not giving them a chance. My guess is that the real local talent end up at Cardiff, Swansea or Bristol.

I know the EFL cup is a sort of friendly half paced sort of match but,what I have seen over the last season is that we have lads with potential to break through if given a chance but,Flynny seems unwilling to tap into that potential.Hopefully,this can change with the new direction the club is taking on this.

JonD wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:
But you get the point I was trying to make?
Playing Shearer in his prime,he would struggle to score with the lack of decent service so,yes,I wouldn’t throw Hillier in up front.However,Twamley pushing on down the left as an impact sub could create something for the beleaguered strikers,what I’ve seen of him,he plays without fear and isn’t afraid to mix it with the opposing senior players.As well as having attacking flair,he also has an edge to his game so,although small,he isn’t a shrinking violet.

I really don’t understand the obsession some of our fans have with playing academy/youth team players. We are trying to get promoted, so MF is not going to throw an untried kid in ahead of the five (admittedly non-scoring) strikers we already have. Twamley may be a gem a year or two from now, but with zero service from midfield, playing him now could destroy him. The label of ignoring the kids is also unfair. As a club, we have recently given league debuts to Poole, Evans, Hughes, Aaron & Lewis Collins. I’m sure if they’re good enough they’ll play. Currently, they’re not good enough.

Dogger wrote:I really don’t understand the obsession some of our fans have with playing academy/youth team players. We are trying to get promoted, so MF is not going to throw an untried kid in ahead of the five (admittedly non-scoring) strikers we already have. Twamley may be a gem a year or two from now, but with zero service from midfield, playing him now could destroy him. The label of ignoring the kids is also unfair. As a club, we have recently given league debuts to Poole, Evans, Hughes, Aaron & Lewis Collins. I’m sure if they’re good enough they’ll play. Currently, they’re not good enough.
Twamley isn’t a striker so wouldn’t play there.The youngsters you mention were blooded by other managers with the exception of Lewis and he has had very few chances in the two or three years he has been on the fringes.It is Flynny who is ignoring the kids not the club.Hopefully,this will change next season.

Since December Played 23 won 5 draw 8 lost 10, the money wasted on old timers, sigining players he never uses, managers with that record would normally be removed, just because Flynn is from Newport it should not cloud peoples judgement look at the RECENT facts.

ajs wrote:Since December Played 23 won 5 draw 8 lost 10, the money wasted on old timers, sigining players he never uses, managers with that record would normally be removed, just because Flynn is from Newport it should not cloud peoples judgement look at the RECENT facts.
What about the fact that after 36 games we are still in the play-off spots?

Willthiswork wrote:
ajs wrote:Since December Played 23 won 5 draw 8 lost 10, the money wasted on old timers, sigining players he never uses, managers with that record would normally be removed, just because Flynn is from Newport it should not cloud peoples judgement look at the RECENT facts.
What about the fact that after 36 games we are still in the play-off spots?
Yep

I think there are a lot of bog standard managers in league 2 and a lot of bog standard footballers playing bog standard football.. Playoffs are a lottery reflecting this.. Flair and imagination are for me are the attributes a decent manager needs these days... I don't think Mr Flynn possesses either of these skills in abundance