Re: Time for a change

Townsend, Lewis, Haynes, Longe-King, Dolan, Demetriou, Ledley, Sheehan, Gambin, Maynard, Telford.

I know Maynard and Telford havent set the world alight but nor have other combinations so would try them again and see if they can re-find their Bury partnership with the help of Gambin behind them and Ledley and Sheehan prodding. Not 100% convinced there is eough bite in midfield with this line up but happy to try it out, we need something different to start creating.

You need more forwards on the bench for me but who that is the problem, and I think too soon for twamley. Problem is Flynn’s signings give you no one to play with Amond to get the best out of him and let’s not forget most managers would look to exploit a top scorer.
Otherwise I think that would be a good starting line up.

County ranger wrote:You need more forwards on the bench for me but who that is the problem, and I think too soon for twamley. Problem is Flynn’s signings give you no one to play with Amond to get the best out of him and let’s not forget most managers would look to exploit a top scorer.
Otherwise I think that would be a good starting line up.

Why..???

MF overloads the bench week after week with strikers and we still can't score.

Do you need 4 strikers on the bench????

sblair1979 wrote:I would go:

4-2-3-1

Townsend

Sheppard
Farky
Mickey
Haynes/Lewis

Sheehan
Ledley/Bennett

Labadie
Gamblin
Collins

Podge

I love Dolan but he hasn't got the legs to play in centre mid and I wouldn't trust him in a back four.
I don't think I would trust 'farkey' in a back 4. Podge on his own up front doesn't seem the answer to me

These days it's like watching the ghost of Amond. Given he's around for another year (let's not dwell on that bit of business) we probably need to find some way of accommodating him but goodness knows how. Maybe as a wide man in a front three.

Maynard is misunderstood. His apparent lack of interest is simply his demeanour. I'd definitely pick him. I quite like Scrimshaw in that Alex-Samuel-meets-Energiser-Bunny kind of way, but honestly, trying to work out forward combinations is a fool's errand considering they're on and off the pitch like it's some kind of Irish ceili.

JonD wrote:These days it's like watching the ghost of Amond. Given he's around for another year (let's not dwell on that bit of business) we probably need to find some way of accommodating him but goodness knows how. Maybe as a wide man in a front three.

Maynard is misunderstood. His apparent lack of interest is simply his demeanour. I'd definitely pick him. I quite like Scrimshaw in that Alex-Samuel-meets-Energiser-Bunny kind of way, but honestly, trying to work out forward combinations is a fool's errand considering they're on and off the pitch like it's some kind of Irish ceili.

As Amond seems to be a 'bit part player' now why not utilise him as STRIKER COACH ?

As for our strikers, whilst they are at fault somewhat for the form and lack of goals they can't be blamed for the lack of service and chances they get that's down to the tactics. Fail to score in one game where they get very limited chances and poor service and the manager changes them, it seems as though its Maynard and whoever when Maynard is fit is MF's opinion

I"d go left field next game and play King in goal, LK, Bennett and Demetriou defence, Dolan sitting as the holding midfielder, Evans and Ledley as centre midfield with Gambin and Scrimshaw as the wide players... Amond and Maynard as strikers..
If and its a big IF, if it works stick to the same side. Give them a few games to get used to playing as a TEAM,, not 7 certainties as it seems now and 4 changes every game..
MF hung the players out to dry yesterday, how many changes will he make for the next game if they are all fit?
Yesterday's team.. / team for next game chosen by MF, IMO

He may change King for Townsend
Farq... Can't see him dropping him for LK. (MF seems to have lost confidence in him)
Dolan will play in Central defence
MD.. Will play. 100%
Labs...... Will play 100%
Sheehan... Will play 100%
Bennett...he may change him for Ledley
Shephard...... Will play the 00%
Lewis may be dropped for Haynes if fit
Maynard,.. 100% starter
Scrimshaw..... probably replaced by Telford

I would like Baker, D L-K, Ledley and Gambin to be given a run in the starting eleven and Evans to at least feature on the bench. Some of those are very unlikely, and we will probably never know why, but I think would offer potential improvements, and its all about opinions isn't it.

To my mind we’ve never settled a striking partnership because we haven’t a) settled on a pair for long enough, and b) provided any decent chances to whoever has played there.
We all know where the problem is, it’s been there a long time now and but for a respite during Twine’s presence here, it has been endemic for a few years. I don’t honestly see any sign of it changing either, sadly. We have loaned out the only decent crosser of the ball we had though he may as well have not been in the club because he was seldom played in the only position in which he was effective. We show no signs of altering our modus operandi so why should results change? Hapless and hopeless.

lowandhard wrote:To my mind we’ve never settled a striking partnership because we haven’t a) settled on a pair for long enough, and b) provided any decent chances to whoever has played there.
We all know where the problem is, it’s been there a long time now and but for a respite during Twine’s presence here, it has been endemic for a few years. I don’t honestly see any sign of it changing either, sadly. We have loaned out the only decent crosser of the ball we had though he may as well have not been in the club because he was seldom played in the only position in which he was effective. We show no signs of altering our modus operandi so why should results change? Hapless and hopeless.
Totally agree with you that its an ongoing issue, I think we fell lucky with Twine. Its obviously a part of Flynns management/tactics that needs improving.