Re: Frank Worthington

George Street-Bridge wrote:Hinckley. He just stayed in the centre circle and sprayed passes round. Of all the players in his generation I'm pleased I got to see, he tops the list. RIP.
Absolutely spot on George. He was class that afternoon, player/manager as I recall. RIP Worthington F.

I remember that too. Somerton Park on a Sunday, I believe. I recall a moment of magic when he received a pass behind him as he was running down the line. He backheeled it over his shoulder without breaking stride and just continued his run in full control of the ball.

excessbee wrote:Am I right in thinking we couldn't charge gate money but were invited to buy a programme as a charity donation?
You are indeed correct, the Sunday trading laws prohibited us from charging for entry so buying a program was "compulsory". 60p for entry and program was it?

Worthington, who was the one-time son in law of 1960’s Swansea goalkeeper Noel Dwyer, was only player-manager of Hinckley for some seven months.

He played against AFC twice in the 1990-91 season one of which was a 3-0 home defeat which, as has been pointed out, was orchestrated by Worthington.

The game was played on a Saturday but there was a charity angle as the November game (to quote the programme cover) was “dedicated to the BBC Children in Need Appeal ”