Re: Grandstand: Barrow v Exiles

Percy plunkett wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Afraid we are at a crossroads where several players who have been great servants have hit the buffers at the same time. (Mixed metaphor alert.)
Hopefully,the Sporting Director will be in place soon.His first remit is to help Flynny with player retention and recruitment.This will prevent sentiment and give sensible advice rather than Flynny relying on his own agent for signings.
Listening to Flynn’s prematch interview gives the distinct impression that he is not entirely happy at the appointment of a SD.

Probably the directors have said that he has signed too many duffers and he needs some guidance.He wouldn’t be happy with that,who would but,it is what it is.Interviews start on Tuesday with the final decision likely after the 12th when the last round of interviews are concluded.I wonder who has applied,I would have liked Jason Perry but,he has a steady job on RW so unlikely to want to change.

Exile 1976 wrote: Same amount of red cards this season as Demetriou, Sheehan, Bennett, Shephard.I like him, we need a combative midfielder, yes he goes over the top with his discipline sometimes but rather that than someone that doesn't put a foot in.
Over the last few years every time Labs hasn't played the same thing gets said, "we were soft in midfield and need Labadie back in"
Yes, if you just count red cards that's the case. But there's a bit more to it than that. He has 10 yellows (worst by four) and every time he gets one, because of his role in midfield the more he handicaps the rest of the team. The earlier in the game he leaves a foot in or gets involved in some bout of jostling, the more of a passenger he makes himself. I don't see enough leadership on the pitch. Is that a factor in us being worst in the EFL for dropping points from winning positions?

Percy plunkett wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Afraid we are at a crossroads where several players who have been great servants have hit the buffers at the same time. (Mixed metaphor alert.)
Hopefully,the Sporting Director will be in place soon.His first remit is to help Flynny with player retention and recruitment.This will prevent sentiment and give sensible advice rather than Flynny relying on his own agent for signings.
No more 5-3-2. Build something more Bielsa. Move it along. Yes we're not cannon-fodder anymore. Flynny is at least a div 1 manager if not Championship. A slimmer squad. A better squad.

But not this year...it just slipped away....

You are right: the season slipped away; I know it's difficult but we must slimdown, shift at least 8 players and start afresh.Contentious but Labadie should go as soon as is economically possible. Although I don't blame Townsend for either goal on Saturday he is looking sluggish and I would recall King. Get Gambin and Baker in tomorrow and drop Shepherd.