Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Bolton

A point for nil-nil was the limit of my expectations at HT but fair play, the substitutions gave us a shape where we could keep the ball further upfield. Impressed with Collins.

Another crazy booking for Labadie near the end, needlessly creating a spell of Bolton pressure. Some refs would have given him a red. Thought the ref was excellent, not for the first time with him.

Labs does have his fair share of yellows and quite rightly so in most instances. However, what I would like to know is why was a Bolton player not sent off right at the end for blatantly trying to kick the ball when Townsend had it in his hands on the line. The ref had a good look at it, he was only a few yards away and was slightly crouched indicating that he had taken a good look. He even looked at one of the Bolton players to see the reaction.

Sheer desperation, appealing for a goal, kicking out, two players were involved as far as I could see. Crossed a line there imo.

pembsexile wrote:Labs does have his fair share of yellows and quite rightly so in most instances. However, what I would like to know is why was a Bolton player not sent off right at the end for blatantly trying to kick the ball when Townsend had it in his hands on the line. The ref had a good look at it, he was only a few yards away and was slightly crouched indicating that he had taken a good look. He even looked at one of the Bolton players to see the reaction.

Sheer desperation, appealing for a goal, kicking out, two players were involved as far as I could see. Crossed a line there imo.
Absolutely .Some hefty kicks aimed at the 'keeper on the deck. Considering how overly-protected 'keepers normally are when they take crosses out of the air; the opposition usually seem to get penalised for disturbing the air within their vicinity.
This aside have to agree the ref had a good game.

A lucky win, but put in perspective they didn't score at home against Colchester either, a blip on the way?
The team selection was again odd in my opinion, no defenders. Credit to the tactics at half time of changing to a back four, but losing Farky it called out for Ashley Baker, he can play full back centre back or defensive midfield, Flynn for some unknown reason doesn't rate him, having said that I don't rate Flynn---opinions, and I can't see him working with the new sporting director unless the new man's a yes man. Don't think we are equiped for league one. The introduction of an under 23 side would see the likes of Farky, DLK, Jack Evans etc devolping their skills with game time along with the academy players which would see stronger squad and less expenditure on loans.

faerun exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:A couple of boring stats,
*We've had 22 different goal scorers for us this season (in all competitions).
*No one has scored more, and only Scott Twine has more assists, than Tristan Abrahams
It’s 23 different goal scorers including an OG. Amond has 9 goals, Abrahams 8.

We’ve had 22 different goal scorers, the person who scored the og doesn’t play for us. You’re right with Amond though, I plum forgot about the FL Trophy goal.

But as you’re being pedantic, I’ll rephrase it, 22 different Newport County players have scored goals for us this season :roll:

ajs wrote:A lucky win, but put in perspective they didn't score at home against Colchester either, a blip on the way?
The team selection was again odd in my opinion, no defenders. Credit to the tactics at half time of changing to a back four, but losing Farky it called out for Ashley Baker, he can play full back centre back or defensive midfield, Flynn for some unknown reason doesn't rate him, having said that I don't rate Flynn---opinions, and I can't see him working with the new sporting director unless the new man's a yes man. Don't think we are equiped for league one. The introduction of an under 23 side would see the likes of Farky, DLK, Jack Evans etc devolping their skills with game time along with the academy players which would see stronger squad and less expenditure on loans.
Yes , I agree with that, it would be eminently sensible.

Exile 1976 wrote:
JonD wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:If we are still in the hunt who cares about the performance

Some of our fans do I guess. That was Bolton’s first defeat in 15 games but hey, we were lucky so I guess it doesn’t count :roll:
Who said it doesn't count? That's bizarre.

What is bizarre is the team you supposedly support beat a side unbeaten in 15 and rather than just be happy with it, people would rather piss and moan about how lucky we were or how crap Bolton were. Seems some of our fans are never happy.
Human nature, innit?

Bolton contributed to their downfall by spurning some very good chances. But hey, them's the breaks.

flat4 wrote:Watched the game last night as I was working on the day, question is was MF tactics correct or did lady luck shine down on us on the day, only time will tell.
Tactics or luck? Would suggest a combination of a little bit of both decide lots if not the majority of games . MF is no different to any other manager in this respect.