Sporting director

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Sporting director

Postby Percy plunkett » April 6th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Interviews started today.Any ideas on who are in the frame or who would fans want.
no avatar
User

PortandSud

Re: Sporting director

Postby PortandSud » April 7th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Whats Tony Pullis doing ?
User avatar
User

Kairdiff Exile

Location

Our proud capital...

Re: Sporting director

Postby Kairdiff Exile » April 7th, 2021, 12:22 pm

PortandSud wrote:Whats Tony Pullis doing ?

Not getting out of bed for the sort of money we'd be paying?
no avatar
User

rncfc

Location

Caerphilly

Re: Sporting director

Postby rncfc » April 7th, 2021, 12:23 pm

PortandSud wrote:Whats Tony Pullis doing ?


Please, God, no.

Nothing against the guy, as he's obviously been very successful and is a Newport boy, but I'd like to think we would have a more progressive brand of football in mind.

That being said, for most of the last 4/5 years that's the style we've used. It wouldn't surprise me.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: Sporting director

Postby Exile 1976 » April 7th, 2021, 12:34 pm

rncfc wrote:
PortandSud wrote:Whats Tony Pullis doing ?


Please, God, no.

Nothing against the guy, as he's obviously been very successful and is a Newport boy, but I'd like to think we would have a more progressive brand of football in mind.

That being said, for most of the last 4/5 years that's the style we've used. It wouldn't surprise me.



Flynny will be the one deciding on the style we play, the SD will just be making the deals for players that Flynny wants to bring in.
no avatar
User

llanwern exile

Location

Usually in the summerhouse since lockdown closed the milton.

Re: Sporting director

Postby llanwern exile » April 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Heard wellens booked into the celtic manor last night.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Re: Sporting director

Postby Percy plunkett » April 7th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:
rncfc wrote:
PortandSud wrote:Whats Tony Pullis doing ?


Please, God, no.

Nothing against the guy, as he's obviously been very successful and is a Newport boy, but I'd like to think we would have a more progressive brand of football in mind.

That being said, for most of the last 4/5 years that's the style we've used. It wouldn't surprise me.



Flynny will be the one deciding on the style we play, the SD will just be making the deals for players that Flynny wants to bring in.

That’s not how it has been advertised.He will make recommendations on players who might be available and advise on contracts and who should get them.Flynny has the ultimate say but,the SD will not just be carrying out what Flynny says.We may as well advertise for a yesman dogsbody if that were the case.The Board have realised that Flynny has to cut down on the number of duffers he signs.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Location

MT

Re: Sporting director

Postby Exile 1976 » April 7th, 2021, 4:24 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
rncfc wrote:
PortandSud wrote:Whats Tony Pullis doing ?


Please, God, no.

Nothing against the guy, as he's obviously been very successful and is a Newport boy, but I'd like to think we would have a more progressive brand of football in mind.

That being said, for most of the last 4/5 years that's the style we've used. It wouldn't surprise me.



Flynny will be the one deciding on the style we play, the SD will just be making the deals for players that Flynny wants to bring in.

That’s not how it has been advertised.He will make recommendations on players who might be available and advise on contracts and who should get them.Flynny has the ultimate say but,the SD will not just be carrying out what Flynny says.We may as well advertise for a yesman dogsbody if that were the case.The Board have realised that Flynny has to cut down on the number of duffers he signs.



2. Player Identification The manager will have a plan for the development of the squad and targets that he sees as fulfilling their plans, however those plans are constantly in need of development and it is crucial that the Club identifies players that can fulfil those plans and add to the value of the squad. The individual will ensure that targets are
monitored and if they become unavailable that appropriate options are available for consideration by the manager.

So, yes, whilst the SD will be recommending players to Flynny, it is ultimately down to Flynny if he wants to sign them or not. If the SD starts bringing in players that Flynny, or even a new manager do not want then we could be looking at players not getting a look in anyway if they don't fancy the player(s) that the SD goes over their head to sign.

Anyhoo, glad we are seemingly awash with cash to be able to offer a 3 yr contract for a SD.
no avatar
User

ajs

Re: Sporting director

Postby ajs » April 7th, 2021, 4:50 pm

8 Ability to effectively manage budgets.

Flynn can recommend who he likes the SD has the budget. This position will curtail Flynns ability to waste money I hope
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Re: Sporting director

Postby Willthiswork » April 7th, 2021, 5:25 pm

O'brien?
no avatar
User

ajs

Re: Sporting director

Postby ajs » April 7th, 2021, 5:47 pm

No, too close to Flynn to have any real influence also it needs the experience of some one who has developed sides in the past. Paul Tisdale has a good background in recognising talent in the main.
no avatar
User

Snowman

Re: Sporting director

Postby Snowman » April 7th, 2021, 5:52 pm

I expect one of the many experts on this message board will be a shoo in
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Re: Sporting director

Postby Percy plunkett » April 7th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Exiles second paragraph is more or less what I said.We will now have advice for Flynny instead of Flynny relying on what his agent tells him,which he admitted to when asked about our scouting policy.No more,Lazar or Marvel but players who can take us forward.Then phase two,get closer links with our own academy instead of unused loan players or,unsuitable loan players eating up wages.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Re: Sporting director

Postby Percy plunkett » April 7th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Willthiswork wrote:O'brien?

We all would love OB to be involved but,not this job.This will be important to the development of the club and needs someone with a knowledge of players,tactics and a plan of what is needed.
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Sporting director

Postby UPTHEPORT » April 7th, 2021, 6:19 pm

How about Corky
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blackandamber, llanwern exile, Taffweigan

Powered by phpBB ®
cron