Re: Sporting director

Tisdale recently took a consultancy role at Colchester, short-term but puts his feet under the table. It's bound to be linked to a bonus for keeping them up so the timetable ought not to fit with ours.

Issue as I see it is getting someone with enough negotiating experience with EFL players and agents who wouldn't be after Flynn's job.

He ticks all those boxes but wouldn't he be after the manager's job from day one?

Proposed limit of squad sizes to 20 will make the role all the more important in vetting potential signings. They'll never make that stick, though, surely? Two injuries and one suspension and you can't name a full match squad.

George Street-Bridge wrote:He ticks all those boxes but wouldn't he be after the manager's job from day one?

Proposed limit of squad sizes to 20 will make the role all the more important in vetting potential signings. They'll never make that stick, though, surely? Two injuries and one suspension and you can't name a full match squad.
Although it then forces an emphasis on bringing through academy players. This absolutely must be in our strategic plan as a club, we can't rely on cup runs forever.

I don't buy this "if they're good enough, they're old enough" stuff either. We're talking L2 here, where a decent proportion of players are really not that great technically. Whilst it may well harm some results in the short term, younger players should improve quickly if they're thrust into the environment. They only need a decent run of games and someone takes a punt on them, look at Aaron Collins and Regan Poole as examples - never made the grade at the top level, but still made the club a lot of money because we got them in the spotlight when they were young.

I can understand the reluctance from the manager's point of view to an extent, which is why it needs to come from above.