Re: County v Cambridge

Blackandamber wrote:Wouldn't it be simpler to move the time / date of the funeral? As well as the football matches, a lot of County cricket matches are losing part of their playing time on Saturday. Prince stopped play?

As far as Good Friday is concerned, the date is fixed for many years in advance so why can't sport avoid it like they used to do?
That’s a fair point and though I’m not at all religious I really don’t see why games need to be played on Good Friday just because it’s a BH. It’d be more time for family and friends.

No sign yet of any change to the time of kick off other than the fact that it will be changed. The BBC still has it due to kick off at 3pm Saturday. Do these people not realise that we have a County score prediction league (and other prediction leagues) to promote. We need to know asap :wink:

lowandhard wrote:I really don’t see why games need to be played on Good Friday just because it’s a BH.
I think for this season particularly, with the truncated season, it was felt that playing Friday-Monday-Saturday gave a bit more recovery time for players. I may be wrong though.

As for Philip Mountbatten, as I've said on the other thread, if people want to mourn then that's their prerogative, but it doesn't seem reasonable to assume that we'll all want to and sporting events &c should be moved to make way.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
lowandhard wrote:I really don’t see why games need to be played on Good Friday just because it’s a BH.
I think for this season particularly, with the truncated season, it was felt that playing Friday-Monday-Saturday gave a bit more recovery time for players. I may be wrong though.

As for Philip Mountbatten, as I've said on the other thread, if people want to mourn then that's their prerogative, but it doesn't seem reasonable to assume that we'll all want to and sporting events &c should be moved to make way.
Quite, it’s an awful event for his family as it would be for anyone I just don’t get the mass outbreak of sycophantic drivel. I note the BBC have had to close their complaints page that they set up to deal with the backfire, it was swamping their site.

Micheal wrote:Check out the man's war record HRH was a hero sychophantic drivel? No, respect for a true officer and gentleman any tribute for the man Is welcome in my book. you people obviously never served queen and country
Well that’s up to you but don’t inflict it on those who don’t feel the same way. Like I said I feel sympathy for his kith and kin like I would for any family losing a relative. He’s hardly unique for serving his country is he? We’re not all monarchists and not being paid an attendance fee like members of the House of Lords to pay tribute today. We have a full days of tributes in the commons too - more parliamentary time than on the final Brexit debate apparently! Eight days mourning for victims of Covid would be more relevant.

Micheal wrote:Check out the man's war record HRH was a hero sychophantic drivel? No, respect for a true officer and gentleman any tribute for the man Is welcome in my book. you people obviously never served queen and country
On the contrary old chap I served the Queen for over 30 years. My objection is to the media telling the British people what we are ALLthinking and what we ALLwhat to do. IMO that is astonishing arrogance, and a form of conditioning of the public. And yes I agree I have heard and read of a lot of sychophantic drivel.

Anyway. what I believe is far more important and relevant to this forum, is ALL :wink: contributors look forward to an entertaining home win Saturday. What they chose to do afterwards will be up to them.

rncfc wrote:Moving a working class sporting event to pay respect to a dead Prince is like something out of the 1400s.
Been looking at the FA Cup finals of the 1870s. They were dominated by the Old Etonians, Oxford University and the Royal Engineers!

Seems when the class struggle heated up in the 1880s the gentry realised that promoting "the working class game" could prevent revolution. Giving up a tiny portion of their extensive estates for a few football pitches was a small price to pay.

Percy plunkett wrote:Getting back on topic,I can’t wait for Saturday,if it’s half as good as tonight it will be worth seeing.Another classic whack it up to Taylor,pure football experience.
:lol: If it’s half as good as tonight it’ll be twice as bad as most of us have witnessed this year.