Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Carlisle

JonD wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Morning Jon so in your world if we where bottom of the league losing 6-3 say every game you'd think that was ok

I'm buzzing we have a real chance of promotion and as the stats say this is the best season since we got back to the FL
Part of the magic of football is in the not knowing what's going to happen.

Currently the prevailing doubt we have is wondering just how bad the performance might be.
I agree. Two things I knew almost immediately last night was that
a) we were going to play hoofball and if we got a win it’d probably be down to a mistake or happenchance - no design whatsoever. We hardly ever win the ball upfront so the pattern was set
b) I knew nothing would change unless Carlisle scored or 60 minutes had elapsed
As for entertainment :lol: :lol: :lol:
What upsets me is that no thought appears to given to tweaking things, give Ellison and Podge a half together fir example - they won more ball in 10 minutes than Taylor did all night, why on earth are we persisting with this monotonous drivel when some players are not given a chance.

Percy plunkett wrote:My first reaction when I tuned in was,what a great job the groundstaff have done.Plenty more grass than pre Cardiff.Great I thought,we can play our passing game again but,straight away the ball was like a hot potato,even Matty and Sheehan were just thumping it forward,Carlisle passed around easily so,why not us.
As I stated earlier. Fear of making a mistake that leads to a goal.

Percy plunkett wrote:My first reaction when I tuned in was,what a great job the groundstaff have done.Plenty more grass than pre Cardiff.Great I thought,we can play our passing game again but,straight away the ball was like a hot potato,even Matty and Sheehan were just thumping it forward,Carlisle passed around easily so,why not us.
Surely it cannot be just the departure of Cooper and Twine that has led to this change of style of play. Can two players have that much influence? Got to be something else surely.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
JonD wrote:Jim, we can argue about results and points and league position but ultimately County are in the entertainment business.

I haven't found them very entertaining in recent months.
Flynny job isn't to entertain you Jon it's to get results and he is at the moment we are 6th in league 2 he's doing his job
Perhaps they should state that on the match day ticket then.
Newport County are not here to entertain you, we are in the results business and will therefore be playing boring dire hoofball. If you want entertainment please go to Cardiff or Bristol.
That should fill out the Dave every other Saturday

Exile 1976 wrote:Form is temporary...etc etc, the fact is we have played 40 league games and are still in the play offs.
Whilst the football hasn’t been good, we’re still there or thereabouts. This is the time when the team & manager needs backing from the fans, not kicked in the balls, it’s easy to ‘support’ a winning team.
I would counter that all the league table shows is that County over the season are the 6th least worst side in the division.

Tuesday nights game was a game played by two very poor sides. If you didn't know the league position of either side then you would have bet on it being a relegation scrap, not a game played for play-off places.

You might be content watching shit for £10 but many of this forum do not. Some won't bother watching Saturdays game because they know what the game will be like. If those same people were allowed to attend (there being no pandemic) some would have given up attending. Sure results matter but the way your team perform possibly matters more. For £10 you'd endure the incompetence of performance but if you're spending £30 all-in to watch the game live then you'd expect more than hoofball, passing sideways or backwards but never forwards, passing directly to your opponents 30 yards from goal and with no covering defender, falling to the floor at the slightest touch in an embarrassing way, picking up needless bookings because you think you are a hard man despite previously falling to the floor at the slightest touch in an embarrassing way....

As a fan I would love County to be promoted but I can't see it happening this season. The side simply are not good enough. We all know it. We see it every game. Stop deluding yourself that is some fantastic County side that will go down in the annals of County's history. It's not. It's a dig-shit rubbish side that is in an elevated position due to a terrific start to the season and the fact that this seasons sides are equally as rubbish...

I've stopped paying to watch the games recently.

As alluded to above, you know what you're going to get. 90 minutes of toil, very little creativity, and absolutely zero entertainment.

While I accept that results matter more, we've hardly been getting them of late, have we? Plus in a world where you're watching your TV, and not benefiting from any of the matchday routine or atmosphere, the quality of the match does matter more for me.

I knew it was time to stop bothering when my 11 year old, football crazy son told me that he didn't want to watch because it would be the same as every other week.

Don't get me wrong, I obviously still hope we win every week, and if I could go and watch the matches live I would still be going, but I probably won't bother again until the last few games, as it's patently obvious to me that we're going to continue making games as scrappy as possible, try not to lose, and possibly pinch the odd 1-0 here and there. Really disappointing after the way we started the season.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Form is temporary...etc etc, the fact is we have played 40 league games and are still in the play offs.
Whilst the football hasn’t been good, we’re still there or thereabouts. This is the time when the team & manager needs backing from the fans, not kicked in the balls, it’s easy to ‘support’ a winning team.
I would counter that all the league table shows is that County over the season are the 6th least worst side in the division.

Tuesday nights game was a game played by two very poor sides. If you didn't know the league position of either side then you would have bet on it being a relegation scrap, not a game played for play-off places.

You might be content watching shit for £10 but many of this forum do not. Some won't bother watching Saturdays game because they know what the game will be like. If those same people were allowed to attend (there being no pandemic) some would have given up attending. Sure results matter but the way your team perform possibly matters more. For £10 you'd endure the incompetence of performance but if you're spending £30 all-in to watch the game live then you'd expect more than hoofball, passing sideways or backwards but never forwards, passing directly to your opponents 30 yards from goal and with no covering defender, falling to the floor at the slightest touch in an embarrassing way, picking up needless bookings because you think you are a hard man despite previously falling to the floor at the slightest touch in an embarrassing way....

As a fan I would love County to be promoted but I can't see it happening this season. The side simply are not good enough. We all know it. We see it every game. Stop deluding yourself that is some fantastic County side that will go down in the annals of County's history. It's not. It's a dig-shit rubbish side that is in an elevated position due to a terrific start to the season and the fact that this seasons sides are equally as rubbish...

Not deluding myself about anything hun. I’m a Newport County fan, will continue to support the team when we play great (very rarely) and also when we’re utter shit. I don’t support them because they’re world famous for total football, I also understand that league 2 can produce some good standard of football but also a lot of complete and utter crap.
In fairness though if we win or draw you can guarantee that you and others will only concentrate on the negatives, look for something to whine about.

Even during the warm-ups it was evident the bounce of the ball was going to make control difficult. This was borne out in the first few minutes as Maynard had a couple of lovely touches followed both times by ballooning the ball into the stratosphere.

It poses an interesting dilemma for the Cambridge game. I'd be inclined to keep the pitch dry, bank on the ball spending most of the afternoon around 15 feet in the air, and settle for a point.

amberbhoy wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
JonD wrote:Jim, we can argue about results and points and league position but ultimately County are in the entertainment business.

I haven't found them very entertaining in recent months.
Flynny job isn't to entertain you Jon it's to get results and he is at the moment we are 6th in league 2 he's doing his job
Perhaps they should state that on the match day ticket then.
Newport County are not here to entertain you, we are in the results business and will therefore be playing boring dire hoofball. If you want entertainment please go to Cardiff or Bristol.
That should fill out the Dave every other Saturday
It also doesn't state if we get hammered you get your money back

I think tickets would be a lot bigger

JonD wrote:Even during the warm-ups it was evident the bounce of the ball was going to make control difficult. This was borne out in the first few minutes as Maynard had a couple of lovely touches followed both times by ballooning the ball into the stratosphere.

It poses an interesting dilemma for the Cambridge game. I'd be inclined to keep the pitch dry, bank on the ball spending most of the afternoon around 15 feet in the air, and settle for a point.
You'll find that the pitch owners make the decision on pitch watering not the County.
That's why military bands have been soaked at half-time and the pitch was watered when waterlogged when they first had the system installed (because they didn't want it 'blocked'!).

Melling's equaliser wrote:
JonD wrote:Even during the warm-ups it was evident the bounce of the ball was going to make control difficult. This was borne out in the first few minutes as Maynard had a couple of lovely touches followed both times by ballooning the ball into the stratosphere.

You'll find that the pitch owners make the decision on pitch watering not the County.
That's why military bands have been soaked at half-time and the pitch was watered when waterlogged when they first had the system installed (because they didn't want it 'blocked'!).
The sprinklers did come on just before KO this week, caught a few stragglers on the pitch too! :grin:

Melling's equaliser wrote:

Thanks, Mellings. So the rugby control this? Ahh.