Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Carlisle

Thanks for that in depth appraisal UTP....
Glad you are aux fait with Flynnys job description
In order to part with at least £100 for a trip to Rodney Parade I would expect to be entertained.
If you're happy with this,fair play
I would posit many on this forum want more
"To get results" is an arrogant two fingers at any punter who wants positive football

I nearly always get to the final whistle in state of complete exasperation, often kicking in well before half-time. We've only had two or three what you might call comfortable wins in 40 league games, none at home.

But the next day I've always calmed down. Why? Because none of us has the slightest idea - nor should we - about which players' performances, in or out of the team, might have been affected by covid. It might be none, but I doubt it. Evidence? Weird results throughout the division all season.

George Street-Bridge wrote:I nearly always get to the final whistle in state of complete exasperation, often kicking in well before half-time. We've only had two or three what you might call comfortable wins in 40 league games, none at home.

But the next day I've always calmed down. Why? Because none of us has the slightest idea - nor should we - about which players' performances, in or out of the team, might have been affected by covid. It might be none, but I doubt it. Evidence? Weird results throughout the division all season.
I would add to that, the thought that being a professional footballer in the current situation must be a terrible way to earn a living. I fully appreciate that many will respond by saying they should be grateful to be able to continue their employment, but surely what they thrive on is the matchday atmosphere, and feeling that there is some purpose in what they are doing. This season has been devoid of that.

Willthiswork wrote:
JonD wrote:Jim, we can argue about results and points and league position but ultimately County are in the entertainment business.

I haven't found them very entertaining in recent months.
Are they tho'?

People look at entertainment in different ways, nice football or results?

Some teams play boring football but are successful (both on the pitch and with getting crowds in). Remember that period for Cambridge under John Beck - not entertaining but did the business on the pitch and had good crowds.
They certainly do Joe, I look for results. If I want to be entertained by football I will watch Barcelona or Brazil, not the County. It is always nice when your team plays well and wins (as per early season), but the win is much more important.

I would therefore argue that we are in a results based business, as well as the entertainment business and one for me is much more important than the other. The hypothetical situation that springs to mind is Russel Crowe in Gladiator. After he had killed all the other gladiators in the ring he shouted at the crowd ‘are you not all entertained’. The point being that for him, entertainment was secondary. The crowd wanted entertainment, and they got the result which was what they wanted.

The sad thing for me is that earlier this season we were like a runaway train, romping the league. We have now stuttered, how we are still in the play offs is a complete mystery, other teams don’t seem to want it either. Crazy. That is what is pissing people off, we have come unstuck when we could really do so much better. I think this is probably the most unusual season that I can remember being a County fan.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
JonD wrote:Jim, we can argue about results and points and league position but ultimately County are in the entertainment business.

I haven't found them very entertaining in recent months.
Flynny job isn't to entertain you Jon it's to get results and he is at the moment we are 6th in league 2 he's doing his job
Jim, I envy you your undiscerning view of our performances.

I can take periods of us battling, grinding out results in dire matches. I'm not expecting us to win every match 4-3. But when the period of wretched joyless football looks set to extend to all of 2021 then I believe questions need to be asked of the coach.

I want to be entertained. On Saturday I'm watching the cricket instead. I can always check Final Score to see how County got on. After all, it's a results business.

Percy plunkett wrote:
Flynny content with a point,it showed right from ko.My cat could have played goalie for them blindfolded and it still would have been nil.
I thought the side was set up for a point from the start and it is likely it will be on Saturday too, it will be another dire game I expect but if we get a point we will still be in a play off position. It is possible, I guess that if we do not concede another goal this season we will go up? We would need luck to do that - we really need to get back into some good form for the final 3 - 4 games and I really wish Flynn would settle on a front two and give them the space / time to play together to try and gel in all the final games - Come on Mike make a decision and back your judgement you do in defence and midfield.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Morning Jon so in your world if we where bottom of the league losing 6-3 say every game you'd think that was ok

I'm buzzing we have a real chance of promotion and as the stats say this is the best season since we got back to the FL
Part of the magic of football is in the not knowing what's going to happen.

Currently the prevailing doubt we have is wondering just how bad the performance might be.

JonD wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Morning Jon so in your world if we where bottom of the league losing 6-3 say every game you'd think that was ok

I'm buzzing we have a real chance of promotion and as the stats say this is the best season since we got back to the FL
Part of the magic of football is in the not knowing what's going to happen.

Currently the prevailing doubt we have is wondering just how bad the performance might be.
Thing is though the performances are not bad just one look at the table tells you a different point now if I was a Grimsby or Southend fan I'd be worried about the performances

Seems to me that whatever the arguments are about entertainment v results, tactics, team selections, signings, loans etc, etc, in this unprecedented season at least interest has been maintained with only 6 games to go as we battle for a play off position. I'm discounting the possibility of automatic promotion as too far fetched. If we had been in midtable obscurity, yet not in danger of relegation, I believe interest would have reached rock bottom by now.
Presumably ifollow income has been enhanced by interest being maintained, but do appreciate they will only be a fraction of gate receipts in 'normal' years, but every little helps.

ajs wrote:since christmas played 20 won 4 drawn 7 lost 9----I'm estatic, face facts Flynn sets up not lose and has no idea how to produce an attacking side.
Thing is thought the table isn't settled on games since Christmas it's over 46 games except last season
The table after season is over is the one that counts I mean you can pick dates to suite

So taking the whole season we ain't doing to bad

Just my opinion

Exile 1976 wrote:Form is temporary...etc etc, the fact is we have played 40 league games and are still in the play offs.
Whilst the football hasn’t been good, we’re still there or thereabouts. This is the time when the team & manager needs backing from the fans, not kicked in the balls, it’s easy to ‘support’ a winning team.
I'm with you Brother :grin: