Contract offers

In Flynny’s latest media interview,he says four players have been offered deals.He then goes on to say that players aged 30,31,32 should sign rather than take a gamble.Has he let the cat out of the bag with that statement,if so,there may be some mixed feelings about the four in question.

Re: Contract offers

Percy plunkett wrote:In Flynny’s latest media interview,he says four players have been offered deals.He then goes on to say that players aged 30,31,32 should sign rather than take a gamble.Has he let the cat out of the bag with that statement,if so,there may be some mixed feelings about the four in question.
Also read the article, doesn't bode well for next season.

Labs and MD are always last to sign new contracts,they play us off other clubs to get the best possible deal for themselves.Last time Mickey hung on so long that Flynny panicked and signed Marvel and Lazar as he thought he was going elsewhere.Labs was about to finally sign for us when he had a phone call from another club,allegedly,offering him a deal.No doubt this was set up to squeeze a bit more out of us.Benno was offered a two year deal in January 20 but,chose to hang on for a better deal.Then came the pandemic and he wasn’t offered anything.You would have thought that Benno would have learned from that and signed this latest offer but,players listen to their agents.This brinksmanship could cost them in the end.

I’m with the players on this one, they’re only a pro earning a reasonable salary for around 10-12 years with a much higher risk than any manager, Joe Public etc of getting a serious, life changing injury or illness from playing at the top levels.

Whereas managers usually have a 25-30yr career and hold all the trump cards about whether a player gets a new contract, his earnings etc.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I’m with the players on this one, they’re only a pro earning a reasonable salary for around 10-12 years with a much higher risk than any manager, Joe Public etc of getting a serious, life changing injury or illness from playing at the top levels.

Whereas managers usually have a 25-30yr career and hold all the trump cards about whether a player gets a new contract, his earnings etc.
Agreed at this level I don't blame them getting best deal possible

Percy plunkett wrote:Players will look after themselves first,my point was that a earlier post was concerned that contracts could be signed before the SD comes on board.This is unlikely as the players offered contracts have a history of holding out for more.

I bet the vast majority of players at our level hold out for more. They’d be daft if they didn’t.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I’m with the players on this one, they’re only a pro earning a reasonable salary for around 10-12 years with a much higher risk than any manager, Joe Public etc of getting a serious, life changing injury or illness from playing at the top levels.

Then perhaps they should do what a lot of us do, and plan ahead.
They know they won't be playing much past their 32nd birthday, there are only 92 managers across the leagues (against some 1900 players) so statistically they need to plan and get qualifications outside of the current industry.
So I don't buy into this they must earn as much as possible so they can sit back watching TV for the rest of their lives.
Get qualifications, get training and prepare what should be 35-40 years of employment outside of football.

SULLY34 wrote:So who would you like to retain???

For me....

Townsend
Lewis
Haynes
Farky
Dolan
Demetriou
Labs
Amond
Ellison
Gambin
Bennett
As I understand it: Townsend, Farky and Telford are already signed for next season, and Gambin is a loanee so isn't ours to offer a contract to.

OLDSTER wrote:

For me....

Townsend
Lewis
Haynes
Farky
Dolan
Demetriou
Labs
Amond
Ellison
Gambin
Bennett
As I understand it: Townsend, Farky and Telford are already signed for next season, and Gambin is a loanee so isn't ours to offer a contract to.
And Amond I believe

For me....

Townsend
Lewis
Haynes
Farky
Dolan
Demetriou
Labs
Amond
Ellison
Gambin
Bennett
I don’t think I’d disagree with offering any of those players, individually, a new contract but - collectively - if we re-sign the whole lot, plus retain MF as manager we’re in for another season of dire, unentertaining football again aren’t we?

Sheehan - I’d offer him a 10% wage rise and 2yr deal but, deep down, I genuinely hope the lad moves on because he’ll become a better player at a different club, probably in league one.

Kind will probably end up at Swindon as no player on the fringes of an international squad will want to play second fiddle to a rival.

From your list, the only players I’d welcome back next season and who I feel could push the club on are Micky, Haynes and Dolan.