Re: How is it

I agree but reality is snooker fans are likely to be 100% compliant and alcohol free - regrettably football fans would not be expected to behave in the same way. As with a lot of things in life you reap what you sow - football will be back end of relaxation of rules.

UPTHEPORT wrote:They allow snooker fan's indoors but football fans can't attend outdoors totally pathetic

Much more chance In indoors of getting covid out side is far safer
In my view it is wrong to jeopardise the slow progress this country has made battling the virus, to allow fans in indoor or outdoor sporting events at this time. Despite progress the virus is still widespread throughout the country, and sporting events are nowhere near important enough to risk an increase.

County ranger wrote:I agree but reality is snooker fans are likely to be 100% compliant and alcohol free - regrettably football fans would not be expected to behave in the same way. As with a lot of things in life you reap what you sow - football will be back end of relaxation of rules.
If they were so worried about the behaviour of people drinking, why is the WG opening the pubs in a week or so?

Good Evening

I think you will find these are only trial events. We are hoping they go well to enable sport in general to get crowds back across the board.
Fans are at the Cup semis tomorrow so it’s small steps, as it should be.

Phil in Northampton

DT1892 wrote:
County ranger wrote:I agree but reality is snooker fans are likely to be 100% compliant and alcohol free - regrettably football fans would not be expected to behave in the same way. As with a lot of things in life you reap what you sow - football will be back end of relaxation of rules.
If they were so worried about the behaviour of people drinking, why is the WG opening the pubs in a week or so?
Probably because of the disgraceful scenes witnessed recently in Cardiff bay and elsewhere in Wales of people drinking and not socially distancing. The thinking being that if pubs are open outside it is more likely to better controlled. Lesser of 2 risks IMO.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
DT1892 wrote:
Probably because of the disgraceful scenes witnessed recently in Cardiff bay and elsewhere in Wales of people drinking and not socially distancing. The thinking being that if pubs are open outside it is more likely to better controlled. Lesser of 2 risks IMO.
The potential date of the pubs opening was given before that happened though.

My point is, if the WG is concerned about football fans drinking and going the game, why have they opened the pubs - where alcohol is more accessible.

I think by the time pre-season comes around fans should be allowed back in, perhaps not at full capacity. But it's crazy to me that games in the Cymru Premier are still behind closed doors. If anything they should be using them as test events.

It seems likely to me that by the start of next season everyone will have had (or been offered) both doses of the vaccine, so a return to normality should be possible provided there are no variants. Caution in the meantime seems reasonable. Personally, I don’t think reopening pubs yet is sensible, but there’s such a clamour from the usual suspects in the media and political spheres that god help any government who doesn’t respond positively (especially in the middle of an election campaign). Rules + alcohol = no rules.

Why is it ok for people to be allowed to attend an indoor sporting event (snooker) but not a county championship cricket match? The wide open spaces at cricket grounds, most of which have no roofs, make it very unlikely that covid will be transmitted for a small crowd.

Seemingly not 100% :wink: :lol:

Six-time world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan says he was "harassed" by a "boozed-up" fan while relaxing at a Sheffield restaurant before sealing his first-round win at the Crucible.

O'Sullivan beat qualifier Mark Joyce 10-4 at the World Championship, which has restricted numbers of fans back as part of a pilot scheme.

Defending champion O'Sullivan said: "About 99% of people have been fine.

"It is the odd one. He was boozed up, having a mental one. It is what it is."

Blackandamber wrote:Why is it ok for people to be allowed to attend an indoor sporting event (snooker) but not a county championship cricket match? The wide open spaces at cricket grounds, most of which have no roofs, make it very unlikely that covid will be transmitted for a small crowd.
Think that's a good observation. Cricket matches seems to be the ideal events to hold a trial run.
Have recently read a survey's findings conducted in Ireland that concludes you are 1.000 times less likely to catch Covid outdoors than indoors if social distancing is maintained.