Re: European Super League ....

If this Super League goes ahead I can see a select number of lower league clubs benefiting. Take Tranmere for example: The people of Liverpool don’t tend to take kindly to the type of naked profiteering behind this proposed League. If it comes to fruition I can see quite a few ex-Liverpool fans taking a ferry over to the Wirral to watch Rovers. We could see Tranmere with 10K+ crowds from next season.

The same 6 teams guaranteed entry and the associated huge payments will further increase the gap between them and everyone else in the football league. This cash and the need for bigger squads will lead to them hoovering up even more talent. How long before the prospect of B teams in the football league is mentioned again?

The owners of the big teams were very reluctant to contribute to a rescue package last year and won't want to contribute anything going forward. Can't see much of this Super League cash trickling down to League two. The owners of the big six don't care about fans, traditions of their clubs or the football pyramid. All they care about is money. The super league guarantees a bigger cut of the pie and removes the inconvenience of actually having to qualify.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote:If this Super League goes ahead I can see a select number of lower league clubs benefiting. Take Tranmere for example: The people of Liverpool don’t tend to take kindly to the type of naked profiteering behind this proposed League. If it comes to fruition I can see quite a few ex-Liverpool fans taking a ferry over to the Wirral to watch Rovers. We could see Tranmere with 10K+ crowds from next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if they set up new clubs is FC United FC Liverpool still going

Ugo. wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:The Champions League (CL) was going to be expanded anyway which would mean more games.

The Big 6 (B6) would still be playing in the Premier League (PL) - which I think would be reduced in numbers - with any other clubs who do well still being allowed to play in the European Super League (ESL), as they currently do with the CL.

The FA Cup would stay the same, no replays. The League Cup may lose those clubs playing in the ESL and could evolve into a mini-league status first round, as we see in the EFL Trophy.

The only thing that gets me is that they are already moaning about the fixture schedule yet want more games.
Have you missed the bit where UEFA and Fifa want to stop them playing in the Premier league?
Yeah right!! i can see that happening, it would mean they have to stop barca and real madrid competing in la liga also, not gonna happen.

What I don't like about these so called and proposed super leagues is that there is no promotion and relegation.
The very fact that the current football leagues gives every club the potential prospect of either climbing from the bottom to the top or vice versa.
It's not that many seasons ago that both MC and MU were not in the top flight.
Teams like Norwich WBA and West Ham have yo-yoed in and out of the top tier.
Again the beauty of promotion and relegation is that from supporting the County we get scares of relegation and recently the frustration and joy of trying to get in the playoffs for promotion.
These so called isolated leagues don't contribute anything meaningful for if you are not fighting to stay in that league.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Kevinmoorefellover wrote:If this Super League goes ahead I can see a select number of lower league clubs benefiting. Take Tranmere for example: The people of Liverpool don’t tend to take kindly to the type of naked profiteering behind this proposed League. If it comes to fruition I can see quite a few ex-Liverpool fans taking a ferry over to the Wirral to watch Rovers. We could see Tranmere with 10K+ crowds from next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if they set up new clubs is FC United FC Liverpool still going
Yes,United got to the National North but got relegated back to Northern Premier,they played Doncaster in the FA Cup this season.Liverpool are newer so further down the pyramid.

It must be remembered that the 12 clubs will have done their research. We see this from a British and European perspective. They are looking further afield. There are wider issues at stake. With the bankers on board their minds will have been filled with the idea of a cash mountain, filled with money coming in from a world wide audience.

Football reflects society. The world is apparently a global village. High finance permeates any structure that they can see where there is profit available for themselves and their members. I think that in this matter the Germans have it right in that the fans of their clubs must own 51% of all shares in the club. That is why Bayern Munich have not got involved. The rot in England started when foreign ownership of clubs became the norm. They are only in it for the profit, as in the American NFL model that they are trying to replicate.

The finance suits are in control now. They can see the pound, dollar and euro signs ahead of them. Greed, greed, greed. The so called ‘average supporter’ of the English super six who try and attend games are deluding themselves if they think they can overturn the wishes of the big finance guys. They can protest as much as they like at the apparent demise of the working man’s (women’s) game. Money talks. The only way to hurt them is to hit them hard, now, in the pocket, and with a points deduction for next season.

It is the little clubs like us that I feel really sorry for. The clubs at the lower end of the football pyramid. How much revenue will we lose. What potential games will we now not have in the League Cup, and the Mickey Mouse efl cup or whatever it is called these days. The whole financial structure of the leagues will be compromised.

In the recent past we have played both Man City and Spurs from these so called super six teams. If this project goes ahead, I doubt very much if those types of games will ever take place again.

pembsexile wrote:
It is the little clubs like us that I feel really sorry for. The clubs at the lower end of the football pyramid. How much revenue will we lose. What potential games will we now not have in the League Cup, and the Mickey Mouse efl cup or whatever it is called these days. The whole financial structure of the leagues will be compromised.

In the recent past we have played both Man City and Spurs from these so called super six teams. If this project goes ahead, I doubt very much if those types of games will ever take place again.
The Big 6 have said that the money will trickle down the whole pyramid.

The League Cup could be the only competition that could change for the smaller clubs; the Big 6 (and those other English teams that qualify for it) would probably be exempt from it. I envisage a League Cup similar to the EFL Trophy format with a group stage at the start - more games and revenue for the smaller clubs.

The FA Cup would remain the same - still no replays. We could still draw the likes of Man City and Spurs again in the competition.

Willthiswork wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

The Big 6 have said that the money will trickle down the whole pyramid.

The League Cup could be the only competition that could change for the smaller clubs; the Big 6 (and those other English teams that qualify for it) would probably be exempt from it. I envisage a League Cup similar to the EFL Trophy format with a group stage at the start - more games and revenue for the smaller clubs.

The FA Cup would remain the same - still no replays. We could still draw the likes of Man City and Spurs again in the competition.
C’mon, do you seriously believe that? There are no fairies at the bottom of the garden you know. The big six will allow money to trickle down the pyramid, they say. Hmmm. They fought tooth and nail against giving the lower league clubs Covid money to keep them going months ago so why should things be different now?

It is a fact of life that if you (or any Company/Organisation) have money, you will fight tooth and nail to keep hold of it unless compelled by regulation or tax to give that money away. Charities excepted of course, but football is not a charity. Promises by them in this instance are BS. Pure and simple.

Legislate for what they have done this week now, big fines and a points deduction for next season. Make it hurt. The way this has been dealt with is just wrong. I did see a European Super League coming in some time in the future, but not like this.