Re: European Super League ....

I've just read a piece in the BBC by that pundit and sage Danny Murphy, who reckons this idea is all about money. Nice one, Dan.

From the little I've read I don't see the big deal. There's apparently already a Champions League in which the same clubs seem to compete year on year, and a Europa League for the rest. Why not this?

Banning players from international representation could prove interesting. Might that initiate plans for a World Cup Super League where just the top countries compete? It'll almost be like the boxing where new federations get spawned.

Pure greed. Money and power, that is what it is all about. Notwithstanding the politics and opinions of the situation, the Premier League statement against the ESL is pathetic and they need to be very careful what they say.

They state that the ESL will 'attack the principles of open competition'. It may do, however, the Premier League seem to have forgotten that they broke away from the Football League in 1991/1992 and formed their own successful money spinning group. Hypocrites all. Bloody hypocrites. Pure greed, money and power.

JonD wrote:There's apparently already a Champions League in which the same clubs seem to compete year on year, and a Europa League for the rest. Why not this? .
You have to qualify for the champions league and clubs from every European country are involved. With this, there is no qualification. These clubs will be in no matter what they do in their own leagues. 4 of the 6 English teams are currently not in qualification places, but they won't have to worry with this, they will still be raking in the money. The money will be shared around the elite even more than it is now. Currently only 3 countries clubs have committed, how is that European? Leaving the rest of Europe without the chance to play these teams. It will devalue every competition there is and if you think so what, i don't support these teams then beware as it will have ramifications for all football.

It is driven by pure greed by people who have no understanding of football. It needs people from all clubs to stand up to it, all leagues, managers and players need to say this is not what they want. Fifa need to follow through with their threat to ban players from playing for their countries. It beggars belief that the owners of these clubs didn't see or didn't care of what backlash this would cause.

Forgot to add earlier, and this is just my opinion; given the EFL statement last night and what it will possibly lead to, dock the 6 English clubs 25 points each for next season right now.

It’s no point saying it won’t effect the lower league clubs, it will. It will have ramifications across the whole of the tiered structure of English and European football.

In all the scraps I've heard and read this morning, I haven't seen anything about a suggested time line for this. I'm assuming it might be for the 22/23 season. I think it's a half-baked idea that could backfire on the six clubs who have stuck their heads above the parapet. Might there be sanctions imposed for next season?

You could ask where is the money coming from? Presumably they are relying on sales of tv rights. I suspect that the football boom is in decline now and the world is losing interest. Contrived leagues that do not depend on merit for membership may accelerate that process.

With no more tv money in total, anything earned by this new league will be at the expense of support for other competitions. The greed behind the breakaway by the Premier League is coming home to roost.

A fundamental root and branch review is needed to re-establish the principle of mutual support on which the football league was founded.
Last edited by G Guest on April 19th, 2021, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Normally I’d say that anything which removes power from UEFA should be applauded, the clubs seemingly want to cut UEFA out of the equation so they don’t cream off their 20% of sponsorship income.

But this will have knock-on effects for the EFL - the clubs will be banned from the PL, FA Cup etc with the Knick-on result that the domestic game will become stale and fewer ‘plum games’ in cup competitions for the likes of County.

The whole game needs a shake-up so maybe this will be the impetus.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on April 19th, 2021, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote:...... and the structure of this league? Twenty clubs? Sadly many 'supporters' of the six PL teams will not notice the difference because they will still be able to watch 'their team' from the armchair with a six pack. Maybe they will, in time, actually get to a game in their home town.
Well said It does my head in I expect we all know these "fans" I luvs Liverpool butt" oh I, when do you go and watch them butt? I went years ago to the charity shield butt :roll: but you try and get tickets butt . Oh I what site do you go on to get tickets then ? I don't know butt but I know it's hard to get tickets butt :roll: