Re: European Super League ....

Willthiswork wrote:Is it not just an extended Champions League? The EPL will still go on with the big 6. The only thing that may disappear for the big 6 is the League Cup???
How is it an extended champions league? Only 20 teams and 12-15 of them will be the same every year matter what they do in their own league. The other 5 qualify via a method chosen by the 12 founding clubs. Currently only 3 countries involved. How is that an extended champions league?

The Champions League (CL) was going to be expanded anyway which would mean more games.

The Big 6 (B6) would still be playing in the Premier League (PL) - which I think would be reduced in numbers - with any other clubs who do well still being allowed to play in the European Super League (ESL), as they currently do with the CL.

The FA Cup would stay the same, no replays. The League Cup may lose those clubs playing in the ESL and could evolve into a mini-league status first round, as we see in the EFL Trophy.

The only thing that gets me is that they are already moaning about the fixture schedule yet want more games.

Ugo. wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Is it not just an extended Champions League? The EPL will still go on with the big 6. The only thing that may disappear for the big 6 is the League Cup???
How is it an extended champions league? Only 20 teams and 12-15 of them will be the same every year matter what they do in their own league. The other 5 qualify via a method chosen by the 12 founding clubs. Currently only 3 countries involved. How is that an extended champions league?
Extended in number of games played not teams.

Willthiswork wrote:The Champions League (CL) was going to be expanded anyway which would mean more games.

The Big 6 (B6) would still be playing in the Premier League (PL) - which I think would be reduced in numbers - with any other clubs who do well still being allowed to play in the European Super League (ESL), as they currently do with the CL.

The FA Cup would stay the same, no replays. The League Cup may lose those clubs playing in the ESL and could evolve into a mini-league status first round, as we see in the EFL Trophy.

The only thing that gets me is that they are already moaning about the fixture schedule yet want more games.
Have you missed the bit where UEFA and Fifa want to stop them playing in the Premier league?

Willthiswork wrote:
Ugo. wrote:
Extended in number of games played not teams.
Not sure it is an extended amount of games with the proposed change to champions league. Just a monopoly by the top 12 to keep playing each other. Sterile.

Ugo. wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:The Champions League (CL) was going to be expanded anyway which would mean more games.

Have you missed the bit where UEFA and Fifa want to stop them playing in the Premier league?
Nope, this is what the big 6 want.

From everything I’ve heard and read, the English clubs joining would be excluded from being involved in all other forms of UK football, so out of the PL, cups, Champions League etc.

Players wouldn’t be eligible to play for their international teams either.

This could be the time to invite Rangers and Celtic into a UK revamped league, presumably with 2 top tiers and 2 feeder leagues (currently League 1&2).

But I fully expect this breakaway plan to be shelved for a few more years and it will be used as a drive to reform UEFA and domestic leagues with, maybe, a winter break when these 12 teams can play each other in an unofficial friendly league.

G Guest wrote:The greed behind the breakaway by the Premier League is coming home to roost.

A fundamental root and branch review is needed to re-establish the principle of mutual support on which the football league was founded.
This, exactly this.

It all comes back to a basic principle that should be obvious to everyone: clubs should compete on a level playing field and be rewarded equally by TV deals in recognition of the fact that football needs its Barrows, Harrogates and Newports every bit as much as it needs its Man Cities, Chelseas and Liverpools. Distributing TV money equally means that even the smallest club can live sustainably and have the occasional season in the sun. Rigging the system in favour of the top-flight teams damages the game as a whole. What a shame it has taken thirty years for some people to realise it.