Re: Equal Pay for Women in Football?

I think your point about pay's link to revenue is where the equal pay argument crashes and burns, though the comparable FA Cup Final figures I found surprising. Do you think that points at a decline in the interest in the men's game? Favourable scheduling of the women's final?

A couple of years ago I was staying at a posh hotel in Cheshire. Chelsea's team coach pulled up outside, and in trooped the ladies team. I admit I was surprised that on the face of it they were getting similar treatment to the men's team, given the obvious disparities in their monetary value to Abramovich. Though I daresay he can afford to chuck a few quid at such projects.

And is it a project? A loss-leader for EPL sides who've been told that maybe in twenty years the women's game will be earning them gazillions? Or have their PR department convinced these clubs that having a ladies team will somehow improve their "brand"?

Given that Arsenal's recent cost-cutting extended to axing their iconic mascot, it's hard to imagine them having too much patience with a loss-making ladies team. If I were working within a loss-making venture, with no viable employment alternatives, regardless of my gender, I'd just be glad to getting paid at all.