Joey Barton

How to get the best out of your players..... I somehow don't expect Barton to be in charge next season.

Bristol Rovers boss Joey Barton says some of his side should be embarrassed after being all but relegated from League One "with a whimper".

"There's no way I'd have allowed that group to be built, it just wouldn't have happened," said Barton.

Barton has promised big changes over the summer if he is to lead the club into next season.

"I think a few of the players should be embarrassed that we've gone down with a whimper," he told BBC Radio Bristol.

".......and we come in, albeit a side that's struggling, we can turn it around' and then you get in and you peel the layers of the onion and you realise 'God, what have we got ourselves into?'.

"How many of those in that dressing room will be in this building I'm not sure, but I reckon it'll be single figures, not double figures.

"There are a few of them in there who are fortunate to be professional footballers. In 12 months time I think there will be a few of them who'll be very, very fortunate to still be in the professional game."