66.1%

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

frostyjohn

66.1%

Postby frostyjohn » June 16th, 2018, 10:08 am

I know there was a majority of 2.7% for leaving the EC in the officially "advisory referendum". A referendum with no specific proposals on how departure should be conducted or on what replaces EC membership. But it still remains that 66.1% of the electorate did not vote to leave the EC. Who is representing them in the debate?
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Re: 66.1%

Postby newgroundrodney » June 16th, 2018, 12:02 pm

frostyjohn wrote:I know there was a majority of 2.7% for leaving the EC in the officially "advisory referendum". A referendum with no specific proposals on how departure should be conducted or on what replaces EC membership. But it still remains that 66.1% of the electorate did not vote to leave the EC. Who is representing them in the debate?

We live under an elected dictatorship. We almost always have a party in power that most of the total electorate did not vote for.
IIRC the number of people who didn't vote was bigger than the eventual winning margin......so blame them for not voting I reckon.
I think the non-voting younger generation had a huge impact on the result too.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Postby Willthiswork » June 16th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Sorry but if you didn't vote you 'missed the bus!'
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 17th, 2018, 1:01 pm

frostyjohn wrote:I know there was a majority of 2.7% for leaving the EC in the officially "advisory referendum". A referendum with no specific proposals on how departure should be conducted or on what replaces EC membership. But it still remains that 66.1% of the electorate did not vote to leave the EC. Who is representing them in the debate?

The Swiss who hold a lot of referendums take a pragmatic approach. If you don't vote you are saying "I don't care either way."

Now a question. Those of you who voted, how many of you know the difference between the single market and the customs union?
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » June 17th, 2018, 9:56 pm

2.7% majority of the people who bothered to vote is pretty meaningless.

Trade Unions need over 50% of those members entitled to vote to agree to industrial action.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » June 17th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

The Swiss who hold a lot of referendums take a pragmatic approach. If you don't vote you are saying "I don't care either way."

Now a question. Those of you who voted, how many of you know the difference between the single market and the customs union?

I consider myself one of "those of you" and I must say I'm an ignorant tw@t
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » June 18th, 2018, 4:24 pm

mad norm wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I consider myself one of "those of you" and I must say I'm an ignorant tw@t

Rather makes the point. We live in a parliamentary democracy. Referendums are neither a good way of governing a country nor in a technical sense democratic. (Sorry to be a bore but referendum equate to the brutality of mob rule.)
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » June 18th, 2018, 9:48 pm

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Benjamin Disraeli