Calling all Numismatists

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » October 8th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:Disney 50p’s been released now I see.


Yes, I saw them. Just a quick word of caution to anyone who may be thinking of buying coins like that. They obviously aren't legal tender as they are not released by the Royal Mint. There are a few compnies selling these types of imitation coin. The Windsor Mint, Hamleys and a few others. There is even a company selling a Peter Pan series for the Isle of Mann. The quality seems to be very good and my cousin has bought a few. I also think they are expensive for what they are.

Saying that, the RM have got in on the act themselves. Similar to Disney, they have the 13 Peter Rabbit series, the Gruffalo and 4 Paddington bear coins. Where will it all end?

For me, unless it comes from the Royal Mint, I will stay away.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » October 12th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Banknote update. The new £20 note will be issued in February. It will have the artist JMW Turner on the design with his Fighting Temeraire featured. It is supposedly the most secure banknote you can get as the current £20 note is the most forged banknote ever.

Security features incude:
Like the £1 coin, it will feature a hologram where the word 'twenty' will change to 'pounds' when tilted
Braille feature for visually impaired
Ultra violet number where under uv the number 20 appears in red and green
See through foil Windows where the front is blue/gold and the back is silver
Polymer based.

The older £20 notes will be phased out in a similar fashion to the older £5 and £10 notes.

The new £50 note is due to be issued in 2021 featuring Alan Turing.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » October 16th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Coin updates for anoraks. If you have some spare cash, get buying now. The Royal Mint have recently released the mintage figures for x4 50p Beatrix Potter coins released into general circulation in 2018.

The Peter Rabbit, Flopsy Bunny and Mrs Tittlemouse coins for 2018 have mintage figures of 1.4 million, 1.4 million, and 1.8 million respectively. This places these coins in joint second and fourth place in rarity behind the famous 2009 Kew Gardens. Good luck if you find one and keep it if you can. Better still, make a set up.

With regards to the A-Z alphabet 10p coins, apparently the Royal Mint have released 220,000 each of those coins. I am a bit sceptical about that as if you go to the Royal Mint, they say themselves that there are five coins that they do not swap due to their so called rarity. Hmm. What I do know is that I haven't found any of these myself in Pembs yet.

The important bit - apart from £1 coin, no new definitive coins were released last year into general circulation from the Royal Mint at all, from the humble 1p up to the £2. The only way that you can get them is in annual sets either brilliant uncirculated or proof. Buy a set if you can as I can guarantee that they will go up in value in future years. Watch their price go up on eBay in the next few days as the news filters out.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

1980

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » October 29th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Evening mate.
Went for a drive yesterday with Mrs Nouble and grand daughter.
We had a wander around the Pump House on Penarth Road (Multiple antique dealers).
The first stall had a load of coins, lots of basic 50p's.
On top of them not boxed, certainly not mint was a Kew Gardens.
I thought gee wizz the woman has no idea what's its worth.
Did my poker face question. "how much for that 50p pointing at the Kew"
Thinking she would say not knowing £2 maybe.
She looked up and said £113.
Whoops.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » October 30th, 2019, 6:19 am

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Evening mate.
Went for a drive yesterday with Mrs Nouble and grand daughter.
We had a wander around the Pump House on Penarth Road (Multiple antique dealers).
The first stall had a load of coins, lots of basic 50p's.
On top of them not boxed, certainly not mint was a Kew Gardens.
I thought gee wizz the woman has no idea what's its worth.
Did my poker face question. "how much for that 50p pointing at the Kew"
Thinking she would say not knowing £2 maybe.
She looked up and said £113.
Whoops.


Morning mate,
Crazy eh? For a 50p coin. She knew what she was doing though because that is the going rate for a Kew in good condition. All because in 2014 the Royal Mint announced the mintage figures for this 2009 coin and the Press picked up on it and demand went in to overdrive.

The RM must take some blame for this. They knew what they were doing with the mintages and it took them 5 years to announce them. Market manipulation by a government agency.
no avatar
User

DeePeeNCAFC

Posts

400

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby DeePeeNCAFC » October 31st, 2019, 10:30 pm

Got a new (different) 50p piece in my change in the pub tonight, a 2018 '1918 Resistance of the People Act'. Not particularly valuable or rare according to Google but that brings my total up to 25 different 50p coins now. Still hoping to get a Kew Gardens coin sometime, I wonder if paying their gardens a visit may reveal one in the gift shop?
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » November 1st, 2019, 6:18 am

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Got a new (different) 50p piece in my change in the pub tonight, a 2018 '1918 Resistance of the People Act'. Not particularly valuable or rare according to Google but that brings my total up to 25 different 50p coins now. Still hoping to get a Kew Gardens coin sometime, I wonder if paying their gardens a visit may reveal one in the gift shop?


Well done. It's addictive isn't it? :grin: If you have 25 of the 50p coins in circulation you have another 34 to go to get the whole set of circulated coins - that includes the x29 2012 Olympic 50p's. There are 59 types out there.

The coin you have - 'Representation of the People's act' is 30 out of 59 on the scarcity index. If you ignore the Olympic 50p (29 in all) which are becoming even harder to find it is number 4 in the scarcity index so you have done well to spot that one.

There are some Kew Gardens about - good luck in your search.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » December 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

Coin update. The Royal Mint have announced the release of some new 50p coins for the festive season. The Isle of Man has released one and there is the second of the 'snowman' series. Personally, I think it is becoming just a bit too commercialised. Just my opinion.

Recently they have released a Wallace and Grommit set as well. They have also released the third and fourth of the Paddington Bear set as well. They are all good quality, but......Hmm. Next year sees the release of the first three coins in a dinosaur set. I hear that there could eventually be as many in this set as there are in the Beatrix Potter (14) or even the popular Olympic (29) set.

No idea what is happening with the alphabet 10 coins. I have been given a few by family and friends but I still don't think I have picked one up myself.

Coins definitely seem to be going out of fashion as we move on towards a cashless society. I think the RM are trying to keep their profits up by releasing these festive coins. Still no news of any £2 coins being released at all since 2016 as there is already enough of other coins in circulation. Happy days. :grin:
Last edited by pembsexile on December 10th, 2019, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Frank Nouble 3

Posts

1980

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby Frank Nouble 3 » December 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Evening mate.
Get nothing of interest in my change these days.
Amazed they do not release more £2 coins just due to the value.
Never had a 10p yet either.

Cheers
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Posts

6898

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby neilcork68 » December 12th, 2019, 1:14 pm

pembsexile wrote:Coin update. The Royal Mint have announced the release of some new 50p coins for the festive season. The Isle of Man has released one and there is the second of the 'snowman' series. Personally, I think it is becoming just a bit too commercialised. Just my opinion.

Recently they have released a Wallace and Grommit set as well. They have also released the third and fourth of the Paddington Bear set as well. They are all good quality, but......Hmm. Next year sees the release of the first three coins in a dinosaur set. I hear that there could eventually be as many in this set as there are in the Beatrix Potter (14) or even the popular Olympic (29) set.

No idea what is happening with the alphabet 10 coins. I have been given a few by family and friends but I still don't think I have picked one up myself.

Coins definitely seem to be going out of fashion as we move on towards a cashless society. I think the RM are trying to keep their profits up by releasing these festive coins. Still no news of any £2 coins being released at all since 2016 as there is already enough of other coins in circulation. Happy days. :grin:




i have just put 500 £2 coins back into circulation that I have been saving for three years
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » December 12th, 2019, 6:28 pm

neilcork68 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Coin update. The Royal Mint have announced the release of some new 50p coins for the festive season. The Isle of Man has released one and there is the second of the 'snowman' series. Personally, I think it is becoming just a bit too commercialised. Just my opinion.

Recently they have released a Wallace and Grommit set as well. They have also released the third and fourth of the Paddington Bear set as well. They are all good quality, but......Hmm. Next year sees the release of the first three coins in a dinosaur set. I hear that there could eventually be as many in this set as there are in the Beatrix Potter (14) or even the popular Olympic (29) set.

No idea what is happening with the alphabet 10 coins. I have been given a few by family and friends but I still don't think I have picked one up myself.

Coins definitely seem to be going out of fashion as we move on towards a cashless society. I think the RM are trying to keep their profits up by releasing these festive coins. Still no news of any £2 coins being released at all since 2016 as there is already enough of other coins in circulation. Happy days. :grin:




i have just put 500 £2 coins back into circulation that I have been saving for three years


Aaaargh!!! Neil, if you had PM'd me I could have told you what to look for and would have made you an offer. The odds dictate that you would have had some 'collectable' coins amongst such a large amount.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

6715

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » December 14th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Some absurd coin price news for you. If anyone was in any doubt that there is money to be made is selling coins, how about this. At a recent auction in London one of only 2 commercially available Edward V11 pennies from 1937 sold for £130,000 (the other 5 are in private collections). A unique penny from 1808 at the same auction sold for £90,000 whilst a George 1V half crown from 1822 went for £31,200. At the same auction house in 1922 this very same coin sold for £12.

A specialist market, yes, but still spectacular. Bloody daft, some people have too much money! I will stick mainly with my modern coins and keep looking for a bargain.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Posts

6898

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby neilcork68 » December 14th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Pembroke..dont worry , I am an avid follower of this thread, I still have the ones of any value, the ones I got rid of are the more popular ones worth the face value only..I made a point of checking :wink:
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

5912

Location

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby mad norm » December 15th, 2019, 8:12 am

I've got a Kew Gardens 50p with Paddington Bear waving a flag on top.
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

5912

Location

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby mad norm » December 15th, 2019, 8:14 am

I've got a Kew Gardens 50p with Paddington Bear waving a flag from the top of the pagoda.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB ®