Beggars in Town

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Beggars in Town

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 10th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Anyone else noticed there are loads more in past few weeks

Its all very sad

Have to say that i won't give them money but brought one on Saturday night a sandwich and drink
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Re: Beggars in Town

Postby JonD » October 10th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Yeah thanks for that. I swapped them for a bit of weed.

Now I've got the inappropriate levity out of the way, I was in central Manchester a week ago and in the space of around ten minutes I saw at least a hundred panhandlers. Amazing.

It was a balmy evening so maybe that had summat to do with it.
no avatar
User

Bodger

Postby Bodger » October 11th, 2016, 1:19 pm

:lol: There are no what is termed beggars in the great City of Newport only people in need.
User

newgroundrodney

Rank

Forum Patron!

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » October 12th, 2016, 7:28 pm

In Cardiff, there's a homeless fella called Jason, who reminds me of the old saying, "you can be poor without being common". He's so well spoken and usually comes over as genuinely grateful for any help he gets.
I usually only give food & non-alcoholic drink, though I do often hand Jason money as I go by.

Temporary homes made out of storage containers may be an answer.

of course, not all beggars are actually homeless, and some are actually professional beggars who do very well out of it too.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » October 12th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Several years ago there was a big issue seller in Godalming called Nick..lived in a tent by the Wey river...Great guy who was thrilled to tell me he'd got a roof and a good lady..
Now it's hop on a boat from Eastern Europe,,,learn three words "Big Issue Please"and screw all those in our vicinity who may have fallen on hard times
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 13th, 2016, 11:55 am

newgroundrodney wrote:In Cardiff, there's a homeless fella called Jason, who reminds me of the old saying, "you can be poor without being common". He's so well spoken and usually comes over as genuinely grateful for any help he gets.
I usually only give food & non-alcoholic drink, though I do often hand Jason money as I go by.

Temporary homes made out of storage containers may be an answer.

of course, not all beggars are actually homeless, and some are actually professional beggars who do very well out of it too.

They are looking at that in Newport
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 7th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Week on week its getting worse and as of today with more crack downs on Benefits more single men will become homeless as they are bottom of all housing lists

There is even someone "living" under the pavement on Stow Hill right where the Baths where there is a hole in the wall and they climb inside it is terrible really
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » November 15th, 2016, 3:24 pm

we seem to be heading back towards the Victorian era but without the clever engineers.
no avatar
User

owlsabout

Postby owlsabout » November 29th, 2016, 11:50 am

I was reading in one of the Sunday papers a few months back that in Gloucestershire one begger earned 43 k last year and local government were telling people not to give money to them
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 29th, 2016, 2:46 pm

owlsabout wrote:I was reading in one of the Sunday papers a few months back that in Gloucestershire one begger earned 43 k last year and local government were telling people not to give money to them

I never give them money on the weekend I made some sandwiches and gave them out and a bottle of water each before I went for a pint, Its easy to do and they where all grateful
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » December 1st, 2016, 7:33 pm

SHELTER said today that there were 250,000 homeless people in England, that is a serious big number.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » December 1st, 2016, 10:34 pm

Who ARE the genuine article??

As a resident caretaker until I retired ,the last few months were frightening......not knowing where I was going to be living after 25yrs of work was not pleasant...
Homelessness to the GENUINE is indeed a BIG issue
User

newgroundrodney

Rank

Forum Patron!

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » December 2nd, 2016, 12:43 pm

It's awful to think about in this day and age. Jim's idea of handing out food & water is a good one. I recently took a young lady into Greggs and told her to "choose pretty much whatever you like"... her bill came to £4.70 after I had to keep coaxing her to pick something more. She was younger than my daughter. Heartbreaking really.
To think that one comes to such a low ebb, that all you have left is the last right of every person, that is, to beg alms from their fellow man.......... and it's very sad that some councils want to remove even that right. All they have left then is crime.
Some Big Issue sellers wear vests saying "working not begging"....... some people need a sign saying "Begging, not stealing"
no avatar
User

Bodger

Postby Bodger » December 2nd, 2016, 9:55 pm

It is not something new is it what's the big hoo ha
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » December 15th, 2016, 10:51 am

Bodger wrote:It is not something new is it what's the big hoo ha

Foreign aid is raising another £1 billion over the next two years, and we still have people sleeping on the streets.
Next