Current affairs ie Politics etc

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby Corpaboy » October 18th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Triangle wrote:
JonD wrote:You were in the shower with Donald Trump?

When I got caned by the teachers (it happened a lot, gobshyte that I am) they'd say "Make sure you tell your mother what's gone on". As if!! She'd have bloody battered me
She used to batter me regularly as it was but that's another story.

Did she think you were a nice piece of fish or a sausage ?

I remember the spatula making an occasional appearance, got cane at Primary school, dapper at high school (only once in each case) .... wise to not be caught from then on !

Wooden rule over the knuckles once !! Saw 2 older kids have the cane in Assembly once . It was banned shortly afterwards .
Not sure if a teacher using violence on a pupil really solved anything ?? I did witness a woodwork teacher tighten my mates school tie in a vice until his face went blue ...... Didn't stop him being a disruption in the classroom though ?? :shock:
no avatar
User

Triangle

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » October 20th, 2016, 8:10 pm

Corpaboy wrote:
Triangle wrote:

When I got caned by the teachers (it happened a lot, gobshyte that I am) they'd say "Make sure you tell your mother what's gone on". As if!! She'd have bloody battered me

I remember the spatula making an occasional appearance, got cane at Primary school, dapper at high school (only once in each case) .... wise to not be caught from then on !

Wooden rule over the knuckles once !! Saw 2 older kids have the cane in Assembly once . It was banned shortly afterwards .
Not sure if a teacher using violence on a pupil really solved anything ?? I did witness a woodwork teacher tighten my mates school tie in a vice until his face went blue ...... Didn't stop him being a disruption in the classroom though ?? :shock:

Your post made me think. Perhaps the people hearing about or witnessing the punishment were impacted and not so much the offender. The deterrent effect.

Maybe today there is not enough of a deterrent, or it is not close enough to bear any impact on the bystanders.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » October 21st, 2016, 6:46 am

Triangle wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
Triangle wrote:

Your post made me think. Perhaps the people hearing about or witnessing the punishment were impacted and not so much the offender. The deterrent effect.

Maybe today there is not enough of a deterrent, or it is not close enough to bear any impact on the bystanders.

Triangle, you make a valid point. The deterrent effect indeed. Several times in the 1970s I witnessed an ex County player 'give the dap' to some boys after he taught French lessons at Hartridge. It frightened the life out of me as an 11 year old and thank goodness I left that school two years later.

It was nothing other than a violent, vicious assault that was allowed at the time. It certainly would not be allowed today, thank **ck. Don't know what the deterrent answer is though, I have no idea.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » October 21st, 2016, 5:15 pm

A "mini" riot down Pill last night apparently ?
That place is gonna blow completely before long . A total "no-go zone"
(No disrespect to all of the decent residents there , obviously !)
no avatar
User

Triangle

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » October 21st, 2016, 8:51 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Triangle wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
Triangle wrote:

Triangle, you make a valid point. The deterrent effect indeed. Several times in the 1970s I witnessed an ex County player 'give the dap' to some boys after he taught French lessons at Hartridge. It frightened the life out of me as an 11 year old and thank goodness I left that school two years later.

It was nothing other than a violent, vicious assault that was allowed at the time. It certainly would not be allowed today, thank **ck. Don't know what the deterrent answer is though, I have no idea.

I think the current teenage generation would be deterred by seeing peers losing all access to video games, internet and phone.
Problem is, how to enforce it. It may be described as mental cruelty or being ostracized so maybe that would be off limits.

What is left? To encourage good behavior and reward good behavior!!?? Society isn't doing that very well...perhaps we are in a transition and eventually society will get better at rewarding good behaviour so that bad behavior seems absolutely pathetic to the human mindset.....I know it is reaching to imagine it.

Today it is impossible as the media sensationalizes bad behavior...80%+ of news is about bad behavior or things done badly. Perhaps the news needs to change and ignore it and report on things done well and the great stuff ! Who knows ??!
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » October 21st, 2016, 10:43 pm

What the fu@k is happening in Pill?
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Postby Corpaboy » October 22nd, 2016, 7:33 am

mad norm wrote:What the fu@k is happening in Pill?

Just about everything by the look of things , Norm ! Dunno what the answer is , but somebody's gonna get killed with all these fires being started outside houses and shop premises . A friend of mine has always had an interesting theory for a solution to inner city problems . He says "round up all the scum and low-life , and dump em all on the Isle of Wight !! Make it a huge Alcatraz and let them fend for themselves"
It could work ?? :shock:
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » October 22nd, 2016, 8:06 am

Corpaboy wrote:
mad norm wrote:What the fu@k is happening in Pill?

Just about everything by the look of things , Norm ! Dunno what the answer is , but somebody's gonna get killed with all these fires being started outside houses and shop premises . A friend of mine has always had an interesting theory for a solution to inner city problems . He says "round up all the scum and low-life , and dump em all on the Isle of Wight !! Make it a huge Alcatraz and let them fend for themselves"
It could work ?? :shock:

Why the Isle of Wight? Far too near me!!! The Falklands a better bet?
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 22nd, 2016, 11:48 am

There was an articul in Argus few weeks back the rise of the independent in local politics

Think people are getting feed up of party politics and looking for something different
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » October 22nd, 2016, 12:14 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:There was an articul in Argus few weeks back the rise of the independent in local politics

Think people are getting feed up of party politics and looking for something different

I think you are right Jim. Some people are fed up with party politics. He let me down in the Grand National once!

Seriously though, party politics in this country (like the Law) is of an adversarial nature. In a democracy it is deemed vital that an opposition party challenge the elected government. That is right of course, but can a party be right/wrong all the time. The government says they are right, the opposition says they are wrong. Ridiculous. There must be another way.

However, what we must be wary of is the rise of extreme fundamental parties/politicians seeking the 'populist' vote a la Trump, Le Pen, and Wilders.

We do need strong government but it I don't think that it needs necessarily to come from one party. Consensus, via multi party government is a better way in my opinion (for what it is worth).

Ok, rant over, back to the footie. Plymouth this afters, Cmon the County :grin:
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 22nd, 2016, 12:18 pm

Talking Trump im surprised the Third Party candidates in the US haven't been pushing themselves more

I dont know how it works out there but do they stand in every state
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 22nd, 2016, 12:20 pm

User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Postby Marky » October 22nd, 2016, 1:01 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:Talking Trump im surprised the Third Party candidates in the US haven't been pushing themselves more

You need to be polling 15% to get on the TV debates.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » October 24th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Marky wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Talking Trump im surprised the Third Party candidates in the US haven't been pushing themselves more

Ahh right they should do something like that over here
User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Postby Marky » October 25th, 2016, 10:17 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Marky wrote:

Ahh right they should do something like that over here

15% could be struggle for Corbyn.
PreviousNext