Current affairs ie Politics etc

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

11069

Location

MT

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby Exile 1976 » November 6th, 2016, 7:29 pm

FIFA allow the unofficial anthem of Scotland to be played, yet a lot of my English mates see this as inflammatory and anti-English.
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

3504

Location

NEAR WOKING,SUTTON AND ALDERSHOT

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby mad norm » November 6th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Hear hear. God Save Doris Bunions and send her Victoriarse :cheers:
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

4225

Location

Windy and grey Pembrokeshire

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby pembsexile » November 6th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:FIFA allow the unofficial anthem of Scotland to be played, yet a lot of my English mates see this as inflammatory and anti-English.



Anti English! It doesn't normally get played, but your English mates need to take a look at the last verse of God save the Queen. It doesn't get more anti Scottish than that.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

11069

Location

MT

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby Exile 1976 » November 6th, 2016, 9:13 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:FIFA allow the unofficial anthem of Scotland to be played, yet a lot of my English mates see this as inflammatory and anti-English.



Anti English! It doesn't normally get played, but your English mates need to take a look at the last verse of God save the Queen. It doesn't get more anti Scottish than that.



They feel it is anti-English & confrontational though
In fairness they never play more than the first verse of GSTQ though let alone the sixth (?) do they? I can't recall the last time I heard more than the first verse at any sporting event.. The point remains though.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

4225

Location

Windy and grey Pembrokeshire

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby pembsexile » November 7th, 2016, 7:32 am

Exile 1976 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:FIFA allow the unofficial anthem of Scotland to be played, yet a lot of my English mates see this as inflammatory and anti-English.



Anti English! It doesn't normally get played, but your English mates need to take a look at the last verse of God save the Queen. It doesn't get more anti Scottish than that.



They feel it is anti-English & confrontational though
In fairness they never play more than the first verse of GSTQ though let alone the sixth (?) do they? I can't recall the last time I heard more than the first verse at any sporting event.. The point remains though.


Quite right. I think it reinforces the point that England should have their own 'official' national anthem. God save the Queen is not theirs. This was raised as an early day motion in Parliament over 10 years ago but didn't get anywhere. My feeling is that there should be an official precedent that England are not actually allowed to use God save the Queen at any event where the whole of the country is not represented.
User avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Posts

15572

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 7th, 2016, 6:07 pm

I got a horrible feeling Trump is going to do it tomorrow night
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

11069

Location

MT

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby Exile 1976 » November 7th, 2016, 7:16 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:I got a horrible feeling Trump is going to do it tomorrow night



The most worrying thing for me is that out of a country that size the best two people they could offer up to lead their nation is Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Now I know Americans are a bit daft but I honestly think when it comes down to it, actually faced with the vote at the booth, Clinton will win by a landslide
User avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Posts

15572

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 8th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:I got a horrible feeling Trump is going to do it tomorrow night



The most worrying thing for me is that out of a country that size the best two people they could offer up to lead their nation is Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Now I know Americans are a bit daft but I honestly think when it comes down to it, actually faced with the vote at the booth, Clinton will win by a landslide



Yep both bent candidates him with his Tax returns and her well she knew what her old man was up to and the way she treated the women after :evil:

But lesser of two evils Clinton for me
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

4225

Location

Windy and grey Pembrokeshire

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby pembsexile » November 9th, 2016, 7:35 am

It is 6.30 on the morning of 9 November 2016 and I have just woken up to the bloody awful news that Trump appears to be on line or be the next President of the USA. Heaven help us all.
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

3504

Location

NEAR WOKING,SUTTON AND ALDERSHOT

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby mad norm » November 9th, 2016, 8:59 am

A bit like Boris Johnson becoming Foreign Secretary.....err..hang on :roll:
User avatar
User

Marky

Posts

2607

Location

Mazeglaas

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby Marky » November 9th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Bernie Sanders is a great man, instead the left chose a mediocre woman and got what they deserved.
no avatar
User

Ref 22

Rank

Forum Patron!

Posts

11125

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby Ref 22 » November 10th, 2016, 12:03 pm

pembsexile wrote:It is 6.30 on the morning of 9 November 2016 and I have just woken up to the bloody awful news that Trump appears to be on line or be the next President of the USA. Heaven help us all.


I was thinking the same.

Till I watch the election during the night.

Listens to people in America, it seemed what we were seeing on our British TV, was not the why he is portrayed in America
User avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Posts

15572

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 10th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Its a disgrace big time ! :evil:
User avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

Posts

15572

Location

The Republic of Malpas

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 12th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Trump this Trump that :evil: :evil:
no avatar
User

mad norm

Posts

3504

Location

NEAR WOKING,SUTTON AND ALDERSHOT

Re: Current affairs ie Politics etc

Postby mad norm » November 17th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Hope Pembsexile has avoided the tornadoes today and his leeks weren't sucked skywards :bounce:
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ®