Water Rates & Water Meters (info/advice?)......

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Water Rates & Water Meters (info/advice?)......

Postby newgroundrodney » June 26th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Living in my 3-bedroomed semi-detached house with a driveway and large garden, I would guess my house is probably worth £120k on the market.
I was wondering about having a water meter installed.
Currently, my Water Rates stand at £644 per year, payable monthly over 12 months.

If Martyn Lewis, the money saving guy is to be believed, I'd maybe be better of on a meter, paying only for what I use. He gives the rule of thumb as: "If you have more bedrooms than people, you're probably better off on a meter"........

Have any of you guys had any experiences of water meters, both good and bad?
Particularly, I'd like to know about cost reductions for people who have TRANSFERRED from rates to meter.
Please feel free to express it in percentage terms if you don't wish to state any monetary amounts.

Thanks in advance for any info that may be forthcoming.
User

Catford Richard

South London

Re: Water Rates & Water Meters (info/advice?)......

Postby Catford Richard » June 26th, 2017, 1:15 pm

newgroundrodney wrote:Living in my 3-bedroomed semi-detached house with a driveway and large garden, I would guess my house is probably worth £120k on the market.
Currently, my Water Rates stand at £644 per year, payable monthly over 12 months.

If Martyn Lewis, the money saving guy is to be believed, I'd maybe be better of on a meter, paying only for what I use. He gives the rule of thumb as: "If you have more bedrooms than people, you're probably better off on a meter"........

Particularly, I'd like to know about cost reductions for people who have TRANSFERRED from rates to meter.
Please feel free to express it in percentage terms if you don't wish to state any monetary amounts.

Now I looked at this and it boiled down largely to my garden. I have extensive plants and veggies both front and back along with the usual modern conveniences so that was a large concern for me. However in our area there was the deal that allowed you to switch back to the flat rates after having a meter installed if you changed your mind, i believe it was a 12month window of opportunity for that. I'd read the small print on it very carefully though as for our area it then meant that if you sold the house then whoever brought it would automatically have to go onto the meter no right of appeal. Something to consider the last part I'd suggest.

In the end the tangled up nature of the water supply in our property meant we couldn't have one after all!!
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » June 26th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Catford Richard wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:Living in my 3-bedroomed semi-detached house with a driveway and large garden, I would guess my house is probably worth £120k on the market.

Now I looked at this and it boiled down largely to my garden. I have extensive plants and veggies both front and back along with the usual modern conveniences so that was a large concern for me. However in our area there was the deal that allowed you to switch back to the flat rates after having a meter installed if you changed your mind, i believe it was a 12month window of opportunity for that. I'd read the small print on it very carefully though as for our area it then meant that if you sold the house then whoever brought it would automatically have to go onto the meter no right of appeal. Something to consider the last part I'd suggest.

In the end the tangled up nature of the water supply in our property meant we couldn't have one after all!!

How do you fit in with the "rule of thumb" as stated by Martyn Lewis, and did it prove accurate?... did you get quoted a price?
User

Catford Richard

South London

Postby Catford Richard » June 26th, 2017, 1:24 pm

we never managed to have one installed. But my fear was that as an enthusiastic gardener my water usage would blow out any rule of thumb ideas of it saving me money. As it came to it never became an issue, but it was a concern. Of more concern was that as meters haven't yet become the norm it might potentially put off a buyer if they knew they had to be on a meter. (edwardian period property v's it being more standard in a flat built last 10 years say)

If you're not planning to sell up within a short time frame then i'd suggest checking the small print to see if the 'switch back' option is on the table for you because then to some degree you can have your cake and eat it.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » June 26th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Catford Richard wrote:we never managed to have one installed. But my fear was that as an enthusiastic gardener my water usage would blow out any rule of thumb ideas of it saving me money. As it came to it never became an issue, but it was a concern. Of more concern was that as meters haven't yet become the norm it might potentially put off a buyer if they knew they had to be on a meter. (edwardian period property v's it being more standard in a flat built last 10 years say)

If you're not planning to sell up within a short time frame then i'd suggest checking the small print to see if the 'switch back' option is on the table for you because then to some degree you can have your cake and eat it.

Sorry, I forgot to say, it's a Council house.... I believe they're planning to make it compulsory in Wales?
User

Catford Richard

South London

Postby Catford Richard » June 26th, 2017, 1:32 pm

newgroundrodney wrote:
Catford Richard wrote:we never managed to have one installed. But my fear was that as an enthusiastic gardener my water usage would blow out any rule of thumb ideas of it saving me money. As it came to it never became an issue, but it was a concern. Of more concern was that as meters haven't yet become the norm it might potentially put off a buyer if they knew they had to be on a meter. (edwardian period property v's it being more standard in a flat built last 10 years say)

Sorry, I forgot to say, it's a Council house.... I believe they're planning to make it compulsory in Wales?

Oh if that's the case then ask them about if they have the switch back option, they might of course not necessarily offer it up front. If they do then you can have the meter put in, if it doesn't save you any money then change it back within the time frame. If not then selling the place on then the problem isn't there really.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » June 26th, 2017, 4:32 pm

£644 seems a lot to me but it depends on how many living at the house,how much you use watering the garden,washing the car,showering and bathing.They normally more than cover themselves so if there were two people they charge for three plus a bit more so I would say get a metre unless you do use loads.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » June 26th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Catford Richard wrote:

Rich if you're that keen a Gardner wouldn't it be worth setting up your own water supply via water butts etc
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » June 26th, 2017, 4:43 pm

My old man lives on his own in two bedroom house and saves fortune mate with meter
User

Catford Richard

South London

Postby Catford Richard » June 26th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Run off from my summer house is minimal as it's a green roof. Sadly as it's a maisonette the two down pipes from the main roof don't come down onto my property. So no access. I'd have to rely on direct rainfall and that would take an age to fill.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » June 26th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Catford Richard wrote:Run off from my summer house is minimal as it's a green roof. Sadly as it's a maisonette the two down pipes from the main roof don't come down onto my property. So no access. I'd have to rely on direct rainfall and that would take an age to fill.

Have empty buckets in your garden.I'm not a gardener but rainwater is better than tap water so that would help your garden and you'd be surprised how quickly those buckets fill up reducing your water metre use age.Every little helps as they say.
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » June 26th, 2017, 9:10 pm

I did Welsh Water's online calculator, answering as honestly as possible, over-estimating where necessary, and it came out as an annual saving of £14.00....... so with 3 bedrooms and 3 people, we're right on the borderline of the rule of thumb, which is why there's little difference between the two I guess.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » June 26th, 2017, 10:10 pm

I'd be surprised if you only saved £14 a year.They always add on one adult using average to high amounts in their calculations to cover themselves.Having a meter would also make you more water conscious giving you more savings.