Mayweather v McGregor

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Mayweather v McGregor

Postby penycwm county » August 26th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Mayweather has to be favourite but a gambling man might put 50p on McGregor for a KO.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Mayweather v McGregor

Postby pembsexile » August 26th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Got no interest of in it either way. Was asking my daughters boyfriend last night where he was watching it as he is a massive UFC fan. He said 'in your house' I said 'no you're not', my daughter said ' yes we are dad, we booked it on your Sky earlier today'. Cheeky gits. Just as well they got engaged yesterday or there would be trouble :grin:
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » August 26th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Ha, and they didn't even invite you ! mind you with a 5am start I'm sure that I would make it.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » August 26th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Not happy about it at all. Makes a mockery of the sport of boxing.
Boxing is in a no win situation, Mayweather wins? well that's what was supposed to happen when one of the sports greatest fighters fights a person who hasn't had one single pro boxing bout. Mayweather loses? then one of their all time greats has been beaten by an MMA guy making his professional boxing debut.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » August 26th, 2017, 11:15 pm

i think its a win for both sports, more people are now aware of UFC and when was the last time people were excited by a boxing match.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » August 27th, 2017, 7:08 am

Joshua v Klitschko 90,000 at Wembley? This fight couldn't sell out a 20,000 seat arena in Vegas ffs!

The problem being that it wasn't boxing fans getting excited about this fight, it was the MMA fans, the McGregor fans, people who don't really know much about or watch boxing and taken in by McGregor's undoubted microphone skills.

Decent fight in fairness, Mayweather executed his game plan perfectly, McGregor comes away with a lot of credit and $100m in his skyrocket.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 27th, 2017, 12:10 pm

I thought boxers had to be clean shaven to stop cutting their opo
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » August 27th, 2017, 12:15 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:I thought boxers had to be clean shaven to stop cutting their opo

No mate, only in the Olympics and the ABA. Should be able to see the jaw line though but its not enforced really anymore
no avatar
User

Triangle

Rank

Forum Patron!

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » August 28th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Enjoyed the spectacle.

I am a UFC follower rather than a boxing follower...used to follow boxing too, but the defensive tactics of Mayweather put me off the sport.

McGregor did better than I expected. The additional volume of thrown shots vs MMA wore him out...He would have been better off holding and leaning weight on as the taller man, something he failed to utilize ...He wasted many shots on the gloves of Mayweather when Mayweather tightened his defense and moved forward. He needed to slip sideward more than head backwards with a leading left hanging out there. McGregor didn't pace himself well and it showed as he was exhausted. Shame the ref didn't let McGregor get knocked down or choose to take a knee. Both champions, there was no need to step in..... although a guy who hasn't professionally boxed taking on the best and most experienced of his time....of course McGregor was going to lose at some point, but I give him credit, he lasted 10 rounds and was competitive in there for most of them.

I give Mayweather huge credit for looking to fight rather than evade, slip and attempt to win rounds with only a few punches.

What a buzz for McGregor.....He fought against the most successful boxer in history and took him to the 10th.

I think despite attempts of people to discredit them, they both came out of it with more credibility beyond fighting than when they went in....

Thought prelim fight with the wild swinging furry shorted Davis was entertaining too. Sadly Cleverly was outclassed, looked flatfooted and let his opponent take over the fight.

I wonder if both fighters are now done.....what is left for McGregor to get excited about? He likes a knock but is it enough.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 30th, 2017, 7:42 pm

pembsexile wrote:Got no interest of in it either way. Was asking my daughters boyfriend last night where he was watching it as he is a massive UFC fan. He said 'in your house' I said 'no you're not', my daughter said ' yes we are dad, we booked it on your Sky earlier today'. Cheeky gits. Just as well they got engaged yesterday or there would be trouble :grin:

Hi Mike,

My fiancee's son told us he was booking the fight on cable. Yvonne said no and he took the bus to Dublin to watch it with his mates there. He spent the last week telling me that McGregor would be too tough for Mayweather. I told him that Mayweather had no great punch but would box McGregor's head off and stop him late on.

Kinda looking forward to the young mans return. 8)
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » August 30th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Got no interest of in it either way. Was asking my daughters boyfriend last night where he was watching it as he is a massive UFC fan. He said 'in your house' I said 'no you're not', my daughter said ' yes we are dad, we booked it on your Sky earlier today'. Cheeky gits. Just as well they got engaged yesterday or there would be trouble :grin:

Hi Mike,

My fiancee's son told us he was booking the fight on cable. Yvonne said no and he took the bus to Dublin to watch it with his mates there. He spent the last week telling me that McGregor would be too tough for Mayweather. I told him that Mayweather had no great punch but would box McGregor's head off and stop him late on.

Kinda looking forward to the young mans return. 8)

Hi Brendan,

Kids eh, what do they know. Daughters boyfriend was adamant that McGregor would tear Mayweather's head off. Most of his mates seemed to agree with him. What I saw apart from the first two rounds was a total annihilation.

People can say what they like about McGregor, one thing is certain, he certainly can 'talk the talk'. He seems to be able to convince a lot of young people that he is invincible. I suppose £90 million gives him the confidence to say that!
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » September 1st, 2017, 1:21 pm

Mayweather won the fight at a canter. Yes he was expected to (despite quite a few people being duped into somehow thinking McGregor stood a chance). He's a 40yr old who hadn't fought in over 2yrs yet stood in front of a so called knock out artist and took everything he had, then systematically took him apart. He knew 100% he would beat CM, he knew CM didn't have enough to trouble him, even agreeing to 8oz gloves being used instead of 10oz such was his confidence.
I thought the stoppage was correct, CM had absolutely nothing left to give and wasn't throwing anything back. For him and others to say the ref should have let him been knocked down is ridiculous, it's the extra punches that do the most damage & if that fight continued much longer CM could have found himself in a serious situation...Sometimes fighters need protection from themselves, this was one of those times.
no avatar
User

Triangle

Rank

Forum Patron!

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » September 3rd, 2017, 3:25 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:Mayweather won the fight at a canter. Yes he was expected to (despite quite a few people being duped into somehow thinking McGregor stood a chance). He's a 40yr old who hadn't fought in over 2yrs yet stood in front of a so called knock out artist and took everything he had, then systematically took him apart. He knew 100% he would beat CM, he knew CM didn't have enough to trouble him, even agreeing to 8oz gloves being used instead of 10oz such was his confidence.
I thought the stoppage was correct, CM had absolutely nothing left to give and wasn't throwing anything back. For him and others to say the ref should have let him been knocked down is ridiculous, it's the extra punches that do the most damage & if that fight continued much longer CM could have found himself in a serious situation...Sometimes fighters need protection from themselves, this was one of those times.

Mayweather used 8oz gloves in the majority of his fights.

As for damage taken, MMA fighters take much more direct damage, but McGregor has only himself to blame...he should have taken a knee himself before the ref had a chance to stop it. Irrelevant really when you think about it, as he was never going to win. It is a different art, and fighting the best at that art when you have not had a professional fight in that art is madness.

It was an exciting event and McGregor did better than I expected. I seem to recall boxer James Toney (ex HW champ) stepping into the octagon and failing to land a single punch against a 40+ year old Randy Couture.. Toney was beaten before the end of the first round.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » September 3rd, 2017, 3:55 pm

Triangle wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Mayweather won the fight at a canter. Yes he was expected to (despite quite a few people being duped into somehow thinking McGregor stood a chance). He's a 40yr old who hadn't fought in over 2yrs yet stood in front of a so called knock out artist and took everything he had, then systematically took him apart. He knew 100% he would beat CM, he knew CM didn't have enough to trouble him, even agreeing to 8oz gloves being used instead of 10oz such was his confidence.

As for damage taken, MMA fighters take much more direct damage, but McGregor has only himself to blame...he should have taken a knee himself before the ref had a chance to stop it. Irrelevant really when you think about it, as he was never going to win. It is a different art, and fighting the best at that art when you have not had a professional fight in that art is madness.

It was an exciting event and McGregor did better than I expected. I seem to recall boxer James Toney (ex HW champ) stepping into the octagon and failing to land a single punch against a 40+ year old Randy Couture.. Toney was beaten before the end of the first round.

He did, that's because he fought at lighter weights, most recent fights were 10oz and you have to remember that fight night CM would have been about 15-20lbs heavier too.
James Toney was a fat waste of space by the time he went into MMA. Toney himself of course was a 42yr old punch-drunk. Of course, boxers don't work on ground techniques whereas MMA fighters work at boxing too.
Look at the history of boxing and you'll see it's littered with fighters that have died or been seriously injured. McGregor was out on his feet and if he had taken a big, clean punch that late in the fight could have put his health at risk. Quite what taking a knee would have done for him is beyond me, just delaying the inevitable as he simply had nothing left. Suggesting that someone should be allowed to take more punches than necessary, just because MMA fighters take more direct damage, is ridiculous.
no avatar
User

Triangle

Rank

Forum Patron!

With the Panthers

Postby Triangle » September 6th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:
Triangle wrote:

He did, that's because he fought at lighter weights, most recent fights were 10oz and you have to remember that fight night CM would have been about 15-20lbs heavier too.
James Toney was a fat waste of space by the time he went into MMA. Toney himself of course was a 42yr old punch-drunk. Of course, boxers don't work on ground techniques whereas MMA fighters work at boxing too.
Look at the history of boxing and you'll see it's littered with fighters that have died or been seriously injured. McGregor was out on his feet and if he had taken a big, clean punch that late in the fight could have put his health at risk. Quite what taking a knee would have done for him is beyond me, just delaying the inevitable as he simply had nothing left. Suggesting that someone should be allowed to take more punches than necessary, just because MMA fighters take more direct damage, is ridiculous.

I was commenting on the fact that if McGregor wanted the fight to go on further, then he should have taken responsibility and taken a knee to gain respite from his exhaustion leading up to the final melee ... or during the final melee not leave it in the hand of the ref. The ref is a boxing ref and acted within in rights as a boxing ref..in MMA they take it to the inevitable, or to when the fighter effectively quits. McGregor is aware of the difference between the refs....if he had wanted it to go on he should have taken a knee. It was his choice not to.