I hate Stan Einstein

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

excessbee

Re: I hate Stan Einstein

Postby excessbee » December 12th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:I take it then Pembs that the latter is the answer.Who would he have to argue with without us 99 foe on here.

The answer to that would appear to be...... Me! :lol:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » December 13th, 2017, 12:34 am

pembsexile wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:The author of this post has blocked the majority of posters on here yet he still knows what everyone says.Could this be that the block button is not working properly or has he been economical with the truth.I was sure that GSB was one of the many on his foe list yet he quotes his posts.

The block button not working, hmmmmm
Being economical with the truth. Lovely Churchillian phrase that. Then again, I suspect that you are a modest man....

Percy, has it ever occurred to you that the author of the post has read certain posters comments (even those on their foe list) because other posters (me included) have quoted them?

Percy,

Pembs is quite correct. I have stopped reading the posts of boorish people.

But since I have had the 'pleasure' of reading your latest missive allow me to help you. 'Economical with the truth' was first used by Edmund Burke in the late 18th century. It gained prominence in the 1980's in an exchange between a barrister and the UK cabinet secretary Robert Armstrong in the 'Spycatcher' trial in Australia. To the best of my knowledge Churchill never used it.

Churchill, as is common with those who went to Harrow, referred to his penis as his Percy. 8)
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » December 13th, 2017, 9:05 am

Brendan,
You are quite probably correct about Churchill not using of the phrase 'being economical with the truth'. I can find no record of it either. A mistake on my part there. He used a much better phrase when describing events that were 'inaccurate'. He used the phrase, '...........some risk of terminological inexactitude'. Quite.

I stand by my comment about Percie's modesty though. Mr Welldon at Harrow (Churchill teacher) decided that he was fit for entry even though he only put his name at the top of the entry exam. A very modest offering from Mr Churchill and a very modest effort previously from Percy. People may wish to look the phrase up. He does keep some good company though eh?
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » December 13th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Thank you gents for comparing me to Churchill but my modesty makes it hard to accept your lavish praise.Brendan did refer to me as Prince Myshkin last year and I accept that as being appropriate.In the novel it says of Myshkin,"His purity and guilelessness lead many to the false conclusion that he is an idiot.In fact,he possesses an incisive intellect,deep emotional intelligence and a wisdom that surpasses all others.He has insight,compassion,sincerity,candour,disinclination to judge and lack of normal social egoism".This Pembs,is why Brendan can not bring himself to block my posts,he holds me in such high esteem.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » December 13th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Thank you gents for comparing me to Churchill but my modesty makes it hard to accept your lavish praise.Brendan did refer to me as Prince Myshkin last year and I accept that as being appropriate.In the novel it says of Myshkin,"His purity and guilelessness lead many to the false conclusion that he is an idiot.In fact,he possesses an incisive intellect,deep emotional intelligence and a wisdom that surpasses all others.He has insight,compassion,sincerity,candour,disinclination to judge and lack of normal social egoism".This Pembs,is why Brendan can not bring himself to block my posts,he holds me in such high esteem.

I suggest you check the rest of the Churchill phrase about modesty. It relates to Clement Atlee.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » December 13th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Clem Atlee lead the party for 20 years,introduced the Welfare State,served in the War Cabinet and saw the threat of Stalin before most people.He remained modest and unassuming and hated talking shop,he just got on and did it.The last sentence could apply to me so thanks Pembs,yes I am a doer not a talker,good spot.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » December 13th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Clem Atlee lead the party for 20 years,introduced the Welfare State,served in the War Cabinet and saw the threat of Stalin before most people.He remained modest and unassuming and hated talking shop,he just got on and did it.The last sentence could apply to me so thanks Pembs,yes I am a doer not a talker,good spot.

I think you will find that it was William Beveridge who was responsible for the introduction of the so called Welfare State. Furthermore the NHS as we know it today was mainly the responsibility of Anueryn Bevin.
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » December 13th, 2017, 7:51 pm

The Beverage Report had recommended it but it was Atlee who introduced it.However,let's not argue on this as Brendan has a faulty block button on his iPad and will be forced to read my posts poor thing.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » December 13th, 2017, 8:37 pm

As a forth child dies and twenty year olds are charged with murder,still no comment on my Salford post.... Scary
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » December 13th, 2017, 9:12 pm

mad norm wrote:As a forth child dies and twenty year olds are charged with murder,still no comment on my Salford post.... Scary

Come on Norm, to make a joke of the tragedy of four young people dying is beneath contempt.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » December 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm

If this forum is read without logging in then all threads will show all posts. For some posters it is impossible to create foes whilst still being desperate for attention.
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » December 13th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
mad norm wrote:As a forth child dies and twenty year olds are charged with murder,still no comment on my Salford post.... Scary

Come on Norm, to make a joke of the tragedy of four young people dying is beneath contempt.

In fairness, at what point has Norm made a "joke" of their deaths? His initial post was lamenting the state of society. His comment here was questioning the priorities people have. That's how I read it anyway.
I'm assuming Norm, that nobody wants to comment on it since it's a live case.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » December 13th, 2017, 9:57 pm

newgroundrodney wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

In fairness, at what point has Norm made a "joke" of their deaths. his initial post was lamenting the state of society. His comment here was question the priorities people have. That's how I read it anyway.
I'm assuming Norm, that nobody wants to comment on it since it's a live case.

Fair point, my apologies to Norm.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » December 14th, 2017, 10:22 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

How on earth can you see my comment as a joke is beyond my comprehension

I was purely putting on this thread to ask questions of others
A heinous crime that both frightens me and is a sad reflection of some parts of our society

I repeat Not a "joke" and I cannot figure out it was perceived that way
This post written before I saw Stan's apology.......accepted Mr E
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » December 14th, 2017, 10:54 am

[quote="mad norm
How on earth can you see my comment as a joke is beyond my comprehension

I was purely putting on this thread to ask questions of others
A heinous crime that both frightens me and is a sad reflection of some parts of our society

I repeat Not a "joke" and I cannot figure out it was perceived that way
This post written before I saw Stan's apology.......accepted Mr E[/quote]

Morning Norm,

Thank you and once again my apologies for miss-reading your post.

I am firmly of the belief that when you make an error that it is better to acknowledge and apologize rather than cover it up.

Stan/Bren
Previous