Calling all Numismatists

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby mad norm » November 6th, 2018, 7:15 pm

pembsexile wrote:
mad norm wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Coin update. In the last few days the Royal Mint have finally released the 2018 version of the 12 sided £1 coin. Why has it taken so long? It's only November after all.

The new £1 coin was issued in 2017 but many millions were minted in 2016 but not made available until 2017. For the anoraks - look out for error coins, that is, they have the date of 2017 on one side and 2016 around the rim on the other. They are out there. Would make a great contribution to your retirement fund.

Also, keep a look out for the Isaac Newton 50p. They are very scarce, mintage figures are not yet available but the word on the street is that in a few years they will be worth quite a lot of money. Could be Kew Gardens v2 all over again.

Damned if I can find any dates on £1 coin rim.....do you need a magnifying glass ? Please explain to Dumbo in Milford

You most certainly do Norm. The normal date you will see on the LH underside of the Queen's head, quite clearly. On the 'tails' side the date is impregnated on a line 12 times around the inside of the coin. You will need a magnifying glass (jewellers loupe) to see it. The dates are located immediately under the raised rim approximately 1mm from the edge of the coin. Just to be clear, it is not on the edge but on the flat part. Happy hunting and I hope you find some.

Blimey Pembsexile. I've just found something else that makes you go blind :grin:
Just about make it out
Coincidentally I've just found a pound coin ina puddle. I shall scrutinize it closely
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » November 8th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Coin update - the coin that never was.

News emerged today that the Royal Mint had planned to issue a commemorative coin to mark the centenary of author Roald Dahl birth. The coin would have been issued in September 2016 to celebrate the 100 years.

No comment from me other than reporting what has been said - the Royal Mint executives refused to issue the coin 2 years ago because of his alleged anti Semitic views. Apparently, he was not an author of the highest reputation.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » November 9th, 2018, 5:11 pm

My son's cockerpoo took a shine to my loupe and chewed it up! Bought a new one today and x12 magnification picks up the minute date well
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Postby Willthiswork » November 14th, 2018, 8:07 am

Previous