Re: Calling all Numismatists

Good Morning!

For Christmas the kids got me the “change checker” folder for all the special coins, plastic wallets with separate pockets and card description and pictures for each coin.

Also an assortment of 50p’s they have collected in the last few months.

Certainly adds to the fun when you can see what you have in each category.

Never going to get the sets I suspect on casual collecting but it is a fun thing to do and a joy when you come across one you haven’t got in your change!

I used to be a train spotter in my early life so that explains a lot!

Phil in Npton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning!

For Christmas the kids got me the “change checker” folder for all the special coins, plastic wallets with separate pockets and card description and pictures for each coin.

Never going to get the sets I suspect on casual collecting but it is a fun thing to do and a joy when you come across one you haven’t got in your change!

Phil in Npton
Just for info' Phil, they have a good website. On there you can list all the coins that you have and what ones you still need to get the set. If you are a member (free) they will even send an e-mail to other members (if you agree) saying what swaps you have available and what you need.

Good luck with your collecting.

Coin update for anoraks.
The Royal Mint have recently announced the five commemorative coins that will be issued in 2019. They will form part of a commemorative set and will be 'collectable'. Once the mintage figures are eventually published, it is these coins that will probably be worth some considerable money in the future. They will not be the only new coins issued this year but are the newest coins released. They are;

£5 coin to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the birth of Queen Victoria
£2 coin to celebrate the 260th anniversary of the formation of the Wedgewood potteries.
£2 coin to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the DDay landings
£2 coin to celebrate the 350th anniversary of the last diary entry of Samuel Pepys
50p coin (Sherlock Holmes) to celebrate the 160th anniversary of the birth of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

You can buy these as part of a brilliant uncirculated set from the Royal Mint for £50. A proof set with the other non circulating coins in a set will set you back a cool £155. Ouch.

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning!

Phil in Npton
You mentioned train spotting...Guildford now has Electric buses doing Park and Ride to three different locations...Blimey what an "interesting" array of spotters!!!!

Incidentally didn't realize their were two Paddington's until decent acquaintance gave me one to make the pair...as I said nice to give twin grandaughters in time

On Monday the Royal Mint put on sale a base proof set of x5 50p coins together with a silver and gold set to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the 50pence piece. They all sold out within two hours. There is money to be made there. It can't just be collectors who made it a complete sell out.

The strange thing is, apart from the sets being either proof, silver or gold, none of the coins are new, they have all been issued before. Crazy.

Coin update. The Royal Mint have announced that later this year they will be releasing a Stephen Hawking 50 pence piece. He will be one of only three people who will have a coin in their name issued within a year of their death. Winston Churchill and the Queen mother being the others.

Some info' about banknotes. The Northern Ireland First Trust Bank will soon be stopping production of all their banknotes. They are legal tender in England, Wales and Scotland. You will not be able to purchase any goods with them after 30 June 2022 and after 30 June 2024 you will not be able to exchange them for Bank of England sanctioned notes either. In all probability you may have had trouble spending them on the mainland as shops may not recognise them. Plenty of time to change them though.

Serious question for some of you coin enthusiasts out there. The Royal Mint this week have released 2.6 million of the 2019 10p piece coins. This goes along with what they released last year giving a total amount of over 5 million 10 p coins in circulation. Has anyone actually seen one? I have been looking since they were released and have not seen a single one in my change.

Some serious coin enthusiasts are saying that the RM may have overplayed their hand. They have made a lot of sets available for collectors (I have a set) whilst neglecting circulating coins. Their primary function is to manufacture coins for the country but they seem driven by profit. I would like to hear if anyone has actually seen one in their change even if they don't collect any.

Edit - I am referring to the 'alphabet' type new 10p coins. 26 in a set obviously and it is one of those that I have not seen in circulation.
Last edited by pembsexile on February 28th, 2019, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

pembsexile wrote:Serious question for some of you coin enthusiasts out there. The Royal Mint this week have released 2.6 million of the 2019 10p piece coins. This goes along with what they released last year giving a total amount of over 5 million 10 p coins in circulation. Has anyone actually seen one? I have been looking since they were released and have not seen a single one in my change.

Some serious coin enthusiasts are saying that the RM may have overplayed their hand. They have made a lot of sets available for collectors (I have a set) whilst neglecting circulating coins. Their primary function is to manufacture coins for the country but they seem driven by profit. I would like to hear if anyone has actually seen one in their change even if they don't collect any.

Edit - I am referring to the 'alphabet' type new 10p coins. 26 in a set obviously and it is one of those that I have not seen in circulation.
I have seen some in shops.

Rhys with an H wrote:My Mam has a ten pence, not sure which one it was. But I have 2 big 50 P's depicting D-Day, and they ain't worth shish.....
Unfortunately correct. Their average price on eBay is about £1.50. The mintage figure for this coin was relatively high at 6,700,000. However, it was recently voted the nations favourite ever 50p coin so it might climb in value in future years. I'd keep them if I was you.

Coin update. The Royal Mint is about to launch the new Stephen Hawking 'Black hole' 50 pence piece. It looks quite good. Unfortunately due to demand, the Royal Mint website has currently crashed and is offline. No doubt they will be trying to get the proof and brilliant uncirculated versions before they run out. Bloody coin collectors - a pain in he arse :grin:

Edit - The proof, gold and silver version of this coin had completely sold out within one hour of going on sale via the Royal Mint website. Only the brilliant uncirculated version is available now.

It's crazy and a bit like trying to get a ticket for a big pop concert. People get in early and snaffle up all the available product. It's a disgrace big time.