Calling all Numismatists

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 26th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Yeh I saw that as well. Goes against everything I have heard. The problem with using chemicals to clean coins is that chemicals will have different effects on different types on coins as they are made from different metals. It all depends on the chemical you use and the coin metal being cleaned. Glad it worked out for you this time though.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 31st, 2020, 7:19 pm

Hearing reports of serious cash flow problems in the US. For several years, they, like us have been moving towards a cashless society. As the Covid crisis developed this pattern increased significantly as people moved to online shopping etc with a view to avoid handling cash because of the possibility of virus transfer. We see that here.

The US authorities have now urged people and retailers to start using cash again as stores start to reopen. They have even given incentives to do so. I wonder if we will see the same situation here.

There is much less cash about than a few years ago. You only have to see the Royal Mint mintage figures to see that. No 20p or £2 coin released since 2017. I think this has significance.
I suspect that coins with a relatively low mintage (not at the bottom, but near the bottom) will see their value increase significantly due to a shortage because of hoarding etc. These coins are not particularly valuable yet, but have potential.

If people are interested, I would look out for the other three £2 Commonwealth games as well as the Britannia £2 from 2015. Also look for 2012 football, wresting and judo 50p’s. a quick look at the change checker price tracker indicates that for some of these coins there has been a 30% increase in price recently. Good luck.
Previous