Calling all Numismatists

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » September 24th, 2020, 5:55 pm

The Royal Mint are at it again. News today that the first in a 3 year, 9 coin series of Winnie the Pooh 50p has been released. Not content with Beatrix Potter, the Gruffalo and Paddington Bear later this year will see the release of Christopher Robin and Piglet for 2020.

I am not sure if they will be available for general circulation but they are certainly available in brilliant uncirculated and proof. Ah well....
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » September 25th, 2020, 6:57 am

That £2 coin I spoke about is a genuine coin and the mistaken pressing has been confirmed , now to find its value :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » September 25th, 2020, 7:13 am

neilcork68 wrote:That £2 coin I spoke about is a genuine coin and the mistaken pressing has been confirmed , now to find its value :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nice one. Well done. Keep the confirmation that you have from the Royal Mint as proof when you go to sell it.

I heard reports a few months ago that they were valued at over a grand. However, the recent figures are for several hundred pounds. Go on eBay and you can see. Just remember that people there are trying it on. Fake photos, fake coins etc, but it will give you an idea of a ball park figure for the coin. My suggestion, unless you want the cash straight away, hold on to it. When all the dust has settled, these types of coin go up in value. Look at the mule 20p no date coin to see what I mean.

The one to really look out for is the new £1 coin with different dates on each side of the coin. Now they are really worth something :grin:

Glad you are enjoying your new hobby. :cheers:
no avatar
User

jonescmj1

Rozelle Sydney

Postby jonescmj1 » September 27th, 2020, 11:57 am

pembsexile wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:Does any body know the odds on getting sequential 2's, 3's and 4's of different bank notes?

Colin

No, sorry, don’t know what the odds are but some smart Alec could work it out (not me). I think if it is a seven figure number it is 1x2x3x4 etc to give you the individual odds. May be wrong though.

I can tell you though that sequential ladder notes in the UK, 11,22,33 etc sell for hundreds of pounds. If I found one I would sell it straight away, they have no collecting significance for me.

I have two consecutive $100 bills, two consecutive $50.00 bills,times two sets and three consecutive $20 biils, not all from the same cash machine! I thought I was going nuts.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » October 4th, 2020, 9:13 am

Apart from the long term issues with the new alphabet 10p coins, is anyone else experiencing a shortage of particular types of coins?

Apparently there was a 71% fall in the demand for coins at the start of the pandemic. This has now rebounded to coin demand at approx 77% of pre pandemic levels. Estimates are that now two thirds of coins that have been issued are out of circulation. I had heard figures similar to this for the Olympic 50p coins released in 2012, but for all coins? Surely it can’t be coin collectors that have got the rest?

The mind boggles, there is an awful lot of cash missing somewhere.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » October 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Pretty decent article on the change checker website today regarding the ‘History of coin collecting’. Very informative. There is also a good link there to a blog they have created giving the 5 best tips to buying coins off eBay.

If you do buy there, be careful, all is not what it seems. The blog gives good examples. One example is the Battle oh Hastings 1066 coin recently sold there. I think I mentioned it previously on here. It allegedly went for £k60. Totally bonkers if it did.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » October 10th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Popped into Guildford this afternoon.. And got some beer tokens out from Metro Bank (my reserve supply).. On off chance, in search of a Kew Garden I asked for a tenners worth of fifty pence coins....It contained 11.Peoples Act 1918 coins and 9 "50p" coins... Suspect a hoarder was having a clear out...
Spooky :bounce:
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » October 23rd, 2020, 5:51 pm

News this week from the Royal Mint of a new series of coin issues. They are;

David Bowie £5 for 2020
Walter Scott £2 for 2021
HG Wells £2 for 2021
John Logie Baird 50p for 2021
50 years of decimalisation 50p for 2021
2021 Olympic Games 50p for 2021

The £2 coins mentioned here will be issued in commemorative sets only. There will be no new £2 coins issued for general circulation for the next 10 years as announced by the RM a while ago.

Get the 2020 Olympic Games coin whilst you still can. It will be very valuable in future years for obvious reasons.
Previous