Re: Calling all Numismatists

mad norm wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Just got hold of a Kew Gardens 50pence piece. That now completes my collection of 50p's. It's genuine as well. Absolutely delighted. Be careful if you are after one - there are lots of copies out there.
So. Be brave enough to tell us what it cost

Hi Norm. It didn't cost me anything. I am in the 'port at the moment and my brother in law gave the coin to me last night. He had been 'saving' it for years and he no longer wanted it.

A quick check on eBay this morning sees a comparable coin with 36 offers against it going for £112 with a few hours to go. Totally ridiculous (pathetic actually) and I would not pay more than a fiver for it, but I'm glad I have it. My new coin has been kept safe in a drawer for about 10 years so it is in a far better condition than the one on eBay. I have no idea how much it is worth and I don't care. It will be added to my collection for eventual transfer to my grandkids via my safe deposit box that I rent.

Calling in to the Royal Mint on my way back to see whatever else is available. The new Stephen Hawking 50p looks good. Need some more albums as well. Coin collecting is so bloody addictive. :grin:

Coin update. It would appear that the Royal Mint appears to want to promote the Paddington Bear series of 50p coins in the same way that they have promoted the Beatrix Potter 50p range.

We already have Paddington Bear at the Station and the Palace. Later this year the RM will be issuing Paddington Bear at St Pauls and at the White Tower at the Tower of London.

There seems to be a concerted effort to get the lower value coins 'out there' as there are £2 coins manufactured from 2017 that have still not appeared in general circulation. This is deliberate on the part of the Banks, Clearing houses and the Post Office. Less coins needed, less coins issued. However, even though the RM have issued millions of the new alphabet 10p coins, I still have not seen one in circulation. Has anyone else seen many? Perhaps they have not made it to remote Pembrokeshire yet!

pembsexile wrote:Coin update. It would appear that the Royal Mint appears to want to promote the Paddington Bear series of 50p coins in the same way that they have promoted the Beatrix Potter 50p range.

We already have Paddington Bear at the Station and the Palace. Later this year the RM will be issuing Paddington Bear at St Pauls and at the White Tower at the Tower of London.

There seems to be a concerted effort to get the lower value coins 'out there' as there are £2 coins manufactured from 2017 that have still not appeared in general circulation. This is deliberate on the part of the Banks, Clearing houses and the Post Office. Less coins needed, less coins issued. However, even though the RM have issued millions of the new alphabet 10p coins, I still have not seen one in circulation. Has anyone else seen many? Perhaps they have not made it to remote Pembrokeshire yet!
None in deepest commuter land either

News from the Royal Mint last week that they are not now going to stop production of one penny and two penny coins. That Chancellor has agreed that we still need them. There had been speculation that the coins were not needed so much as we move towards a cashless society.

Keep a look out for the 1983 two pence piece with the word 'new pence' on it instead of 'two pence'. They are out there. Also, there are silver two pence pieces out there. They had been struck from a 10p silver roll instead of the 2p nickel alloy. Good luck.

A tip for everyone if you have any spare cash. Buy some 2017 proof, or brilliant uncirculated commemorative coin sets if you can get them. Why?

It was announced recently that the Royal Mint released no 20p or £2 coins for general circulation at all. Zilch. The only way you can get them is via commemorative sets sold previously by the Royal Mint. You will not find them in your change unless some numpty has broken into a commemorative set - very unlikely.

The proof set used to cost £145, but unfortunately you cannot get it there anymore. They will be available at selling sites such as eBay etc.

To give you an idea of what I mean, in 2009 the Royal Mint released the Kew Gardens 50p. What they didn't say at the time were the mintage figures. When these were announced a few years later, because of the low mintage, their value rocketed. They are now selling for approx £100. This is for a 'general issue' coin, not a proof or brilliant uncirculated coin such as the 2017 £2 or 20p.

I have no idea how much a proof or brilliant uncirculated 20p or £2 coin from 2017 will be worth in the future. What I can say is that it's value will increase significantly. You may have to wait a few years for the value to leap skywards but I say, go for it.

Coin update. I posted some time ago that the Royal Mint had not issued any 20p or £2 coins for general circulation in 2017 at all. The only way you can get them is via commemorative sets. The brilliant uncirculated set initially cost £35 in 2017. The proof set cost £145 in 2017. These prices were bound to go up because none were issued for general circulation that year.

On eBay at the moment the BU set has a bid against it of £70. The proof set is going for £249. With eBay, you take your chances but, a 100% increase and a 66% increase over 2 years. Crikey! I don't have that sort of spare cash and I don't think the prices are worthy of the product, but who am I to query it. I would certainly get some more if they were from a different source and a lower price. The price is upwards though.

penycwm county wrote:As a youngster I was given commemorative coins such as the 1953 five shilling Coronation coin and 1977 Jubilee coins but they very much seem worthless now.
According to my coin yearbook, your 1953 5/- Coronation coin is worth £6. The 1977 Jubilee 25p (crown) is worth £2. If it is in a presentation pack it is worth £3. Don't plan to retire on their value just yet!

Banknote update. There was speculation some time ago that Margaret Thatcher was to be the new face on the next issue of the £50 note. Rest assured, the Bank of England announced a few days ago that the new face on the banknote will be Alan Turing, World War 2 hero and mathematician. No need to be concerned about carrying a photo of Maggie around with you if you were ever lucky enough to own a fifty.

pembsexile wrote:
penycwm county wrote:As a youngster I was given commemorative coins such as the 1953 five shilling Coronation coin and 1977 Jubilee coins but they very much seem worthless now.
According to my coin yearbook, your 1953 5/- Coronation coin is worth £6. The 1977 Jubilee 25p (crown) is worth £2. If it is in a presentation pack it is worth £3. Don't plan to retire on their value just yet!
In 1977 the Jubilee Crown at 25 pence face value would have bought you a pint and a packet of crisps. £2 won't do that nowadays. :grin:

pembsexile wrote:Banknote update. There was speculation some time ago that Margaret Thatcher was to be the new face on the next issue of the £50 note. Rest assured, the Bank of England announced a few days ago that the new face on the banknote will be Alan Turing, World War 2 hero and mathematician. No need to be concerned about carrying a photo of Maggie around with you if you were ever lucky enough to own a fifty.

Alan Turing was pardoned by the Queen, no apology for having him castrated though !