Re: Calling all Numismatists

Right then Pembs, how much (other than their face value) are my coins worth?

£2 - 2006 ‘Brunel’
- ‘1707-2007’
- ‘2016 ‘first world war’

50p - 2016 ‘Beatrix Potter’
- 2017 ‘Benjamin Bunny’
- 2017 ‘The Tale of Peter Rabbit’
- 2017 ‘Mr Jeremy Fisher’
- 2016 ‘Squirrel Nutkin’
- 2016 ‘Mrs Tiggy-Winkle’
- 2016 ‘Peter Rabbit’
- 2014 ‘Commonwealth Games’
- 2010 ‘100 years of girl guiding’
- 2006 a soldier carrying a wounded soldier
- 2019 ‘Paddington Bear’
- 2019 ‘Sherlock Holmes’
- 2015 ‘Battle of Britain’
- 2017 ‘Isaac Newton’
- 2005 ‘Johnson’s Dictionary’

Anything there, or is the lot simply worth £13.50? :lol:

Exile 1976 wrote:Right then Pembs, how much (other than their face value) are my coins worth?

£2 - 2006 ‘Brunel’
- ‘1707-2007’
- ‘2016 ‘first world war’

50p - 2016 ‘Beatrix Potter’
- 2017 ‘Benjamin Bunny’
- 2017 ‘The Tale of Peter Rabbit’
- 2017 ‘Mr Jeremy Fisher’
- 2016 ‘Squirrel Nutkin’
- 2016 ‘Mrs Tiggy-Winkle’
- 2016 ‘Peter Rabbit’
- 2014 ‘Commonwealth Games’
- 2010 ‘100 years of girl guiding’
- 2006 a soldier carrying a wounded soldier
- 2019 ‘Paddington Bear’
- 2019 ‘Sherlock Holmes’
- 2015 ‘Battle of Britain’
- 2017 ‘Isaac Newton’
- 2005 ‘Johnson’s Dictionary’

Anything there, or is the lot simply worth £13.50? :lol:
Hi mate, been doing a bit of digging on the secondary market and unfortunately most of your coins (as you suspect) are face value. However, there are a few that are slightly more valuable;

£2 Brunel £2.50 - £3.00
WW1 - £3.00
2017 - tale of Peter Rabbit - £1-50
2017 Jeremy Fisher - £1.50
2016 Squirrel Nutkin - £2.00
2010 Girl guides - £1.00
2017 Isaac Newton -£3.00

A point of note. Keep the Isaac Newton coin. It has a low mintage and I suspect it will go up in value in future years.

The 2006 soldier coin that you mention is actually the VC. Lots of them about and they were designed by Frank Nouble daughter Claire Aldridge who was a designer at the Royal Mint at the time. The RM are currently running a competition to see what is the Nations favourite coin and the VC is currently in second place behind a Beatrix Potter coin.

So, you aren't going to get rich mate, but my advice is to keep plugging away and make up a set of both £2 and 50p's. When you have the full set, particularly in an album, they are worth far more than the sum of the individual coins. Besides that, it is good fun. Happy hunting. :grin:

A rather sad coin story with a Newpôrt connection. In 2015, two men, one from Newport discovered some coins and jewellery in a Shropshire field. (There is a Newpôrt in Shropshire but I think it is the 'port). They had the landowners permission to use their metal detectors. Prior to the find, they had done some research so they were aware that there was a possibility of a 'find'. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, when they found the coins and jewellery, they did not declare it as 'treasure'. The Law states that this treasure should be declared to the authorities within 14 days. They didn't do so. Unfortunately they decided to contact some coin dealers and antique dealers from Cardiff to try and sell on the coins. Somewhere along the line the British Museum, and the local Coroner we're made aware that a significant coin hoard had been discovered and that persons were trying to sell some of these coins. This hoard became know as the Viking hoard and estimates say that the whole hoard of 300 coins (only 30 have been recovered) would have been worth £2.9 million.

Consequently, in November this year, at trial, the two finders were found guilty and given sentences of 10 and 8 years. Even the dealers didn't get off, the 4th defendant became ill and will be sentenced soon.

A note of caution to all 'treasure hunters' and 'metal detectorists'. If you find treasure when you are out looking, there are rules that govern what you must declare as treasure. I suggest that you read up on the rules before you go looking so that you know what you have to do if you find anything of significance. If anyone is interested I can post up the rules here, but it is a bit long winded.

Exile 1976 wrote:Amazing that you can get sentenced to 10years for not declaring ‘treasure’ but less for killing someone whilst drink driving.
I agree.

When it comes to drink driving my view is that nobody means to kill, so the offence is in the action of driving under the influence. And my solution would be to give everyone caught drink driving 3 months.

I doubt many would risk it and the result would be next Christmas in a fair few homes in these islands more mothers would be cooking turkey for their sons and fewer mothers would be visiting their children in the cemetery.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Thanks for all your help and advice on here Pembs.

I'm looking forward to collecting one of the soon-to-be-issued Brexit 50p coins, although as with everything Brexit related it'll probably be delayed or argued down in Parliament.

Wishing you and everyone on this board a Happy Christmas, and a healthy, prosperous 2020.
Keep a sharp lookout DeePeeNCAFC. There were apparently 10 million of the Brexit coins that were minted this year for both the first Brexit date of 31 March 2019 and then 31 October 2019. When Brexit stalled, the plan was that they would all be melted down and used for the new Brexit coin dated 31 January 2020. It remains to be seen whether they were all melted down or if indeed some have escaped into circulation. They will be valuable if they did.

The new coin has the words 'Peace, prosperity and friendship to all Nations'. It is not pleasing on the eye to me.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Got a new (different) 50p piece in my change in the pub tonight, a 2018 '1918 Resistance of the People Act'. Not particularly valuable or rare according to Google but that brings my total up to 25 different 50p coins now. Still hoping to get a Kew Gardens coin sometime, I wonder if paying their gardens a visit may reveal one in the gift shop?
Good Morning

Just counted mine up, just a year since kids got me the file to keep them in, got 29 so far, no 10p’s but I thought I had one somewhere!
Recently got a Sherlock Holmes one? Is that a new one as can’t find on my files.

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Got a new (different) 50p piece in my change in the pub tonight, a 2018 '1918 Resistance of the People Act'. Not particularly valuable or rare according to Google but that brings my total up to 25 different 50p coins now. Still hoping to get a Kew Gardens coin sometime, I wonder if paying their gardens a visit may reveal one in the gift shop?
Good Morning

Just counted mine up, just a year since kids got me the file to keep them in, got 29 so far, no 10p’s but I thought I had one somewhere!
Recently got a Sherlock Holmes one? Is that a new one as can’t find on my files.

Phil in Northampton
Morning Phil,
The Sherlock Holmes 50p is new and was only released in 2019. It is so new it is not even on the Change checker scarcity index yet and the mintage figures for the coin will probably not be released until the middle of next year. It does seem popular though.

As I have mentioned previously, if you have some spare cash, invest in the 2019 annual set, proof or brilliant uncirculated. Then, when the mintage figures are released next year, you might find you have a valuable coin in there. Good luck.