Re: Calling all Numismatists

Happy New Year everyone. Not too many sore heads around hopefully. Some news as promised on Gold Sovereigns.

If there is one coin that has been handed down within families over the generations it is the Sovereign. I have one and I’m sure lots of others do. If you have any, check them out as soon as you can. Gold prices have risen significantly recently so for the base content alone the coin will be worth approx £300. You may have something of worth.

At a London auction recently, a George 3rd Gold Sovereign from 1819 went for £100,000, minus the sellers fee. That is crazy but shows that some people are willing to pay for low mintage coins.

There are lots of years that the Sovereign had a low mintage, so check yours if you have any. PM me, or post on here if you have a coin, let me know they year and I will give you an approximate value of it’s worth. Good luck.

An excellent article on the change checker website published today.They have their own eBay price tracker which monitors the prices of the most valuable decimal coins. Here are the latest values:

Undated 20p. £45
Isaac Newton 50p. £36
92/93 EEC 50p. £46
N Ireland Commonwealth games £2. £40
Kew Gardens 50p. £120!
Olympic football 50p. £15.50
2015 Britannia £2. £3.50
Jemmima Puddleduck. 50p. £12.50

Some absolutely crazy prices there. Now may be the time to sell if you have any.

pembsexile wrote:An excellent article on the change checker website published today.They have their own eBay price tracker which monitors the prices of the most valuable decimal coins. Here are the latest values:

Undated 20p. £45
Isaac Newton 50p. £36
92/93 EEC 50p. £46
Kew Gardens 50p. £120!
2015 Britannia £2. £3.50

Some absolutely crazy prices there. Now may be the time to sell if you have any.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Just found that I have 2 x KewGardens 50p coins...

neilcork68 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:An excellent article on the change checker website published today.They have their own eBay price tracker which monitors the prices of the most valuable decimal coins. Here are the latest values:

Undated 20p. £45
Isaac Newton 50p. £36
92/93 EEC 50p. £46
Kew Gardens 50p. £120!
2015 Britannia £2. £3.50

Did you have to queue for them?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Just found that I have 2 x KewGardens 50p coins...

On the BBC news website this morning is a story that a collector has just paid £1 million pounds for a 1937 Edward 8th UK Sovereign. There were only 6 ever minted.

Some people seem to have more money than sense! Great news for the coin collection industry but really, £1 million pounds :?

If nothing else, it proves that there is money (no pun intended) to be made in coin collecting if you know what to look for and have the money to make a bid. I just hope that there is room left for amateur collectors because there are a lot of us about.

There is a rather happier story in the news at the moment regarding the find of coins in a field by metal detectorists than the last story I mentioned.

In 2017 an enthusiast found a hoard of 81 Anglo Saxon silver pennies and 18 cut half pennies in a field in East Anglia. He did the right thing and declared them to the local finds liaison officer. The hoard recently sold at auction for £90,000, three times the auction estimate. The coins come from the reign of Aethelred the second, AD 978 - 1016.

During the valuation process the experts at the auction house found that the sterling silver content of some of the coins were sub standard made from silver below the sterling fineness. Historians suggest that the coins were used to pay off the Danes at the time - Danegeld. Alternatively of course, the Danes could have had the standard coins and the local population were left with sub standard coins. I hope not.

Either way, the recent finder became relatively rich after the auction. Well done that man. That is the way to do it.

Trivia note*. The hoard contained some coins from a well known English market town. Melton Mowbray is known for is pork pies, but it also had an Anglo Saxon mint. Remember that next time you enter a quiz and they ask you what else Melton Mowbray is famous for! :grin:

As most people know, the Brexit 50p coin was released by the Royal Mint on 31 January. 3 million of them will be going in to circulation. Next to the Wallace and Grommit 50p, for me it is the most underwhelming coin that the Mint has released recently.

They have definitely turned in to a marketing juggernaut. They are selling a Brilliant uncirculated 50p version of this coin for £10, which is the same amount that they charge for £2 coins. I was at the Mint last week but I certainly didn’t buy any for myself. Just for info’ exactly the same coin can be bought from another reputable coin seller site for £4.50. If I was getting one, I would get it from there.

I think I will carry on getting just my annual coin sets and silver Britannia’s from the Mint. I’ll get the rest elsewhere. It’s marketing gone bonkers.

njbh86 wrote:Other half got a Navy WWI Centenary £2 coin in her change the other day. Allegedly quite low volume, but not sure on value. Anyone got the skinny for someone with bad google skillz?
As you suggest, it is a relatively rare £2 coin - 8th on the scarcity index of £2 coins that are currently in circulation. There were 650,000 of the coins released into circulation in 2015. It retails for approx £4.00 - £5.50 on eBay at the moment. If I were you I would hold on to it as it’s value will only increase in future years. It won’t make you a rich man but it will slowly (very slowly) increase in value with time.

For those who are interested, today the Royal Mint released the first coin in a 3 coin dinosaur set - a Megalasaurus. The other two will follow in the coming months. They have released them in brilliant uncirculated and proof condition so they won’t be going into general circulation.

Already, the gold proof version has sold out on their website - each to their own I suppose. Gone are the days when the Royal Mint just used to produce coins for the general public to use. Ah well.....

pembsexile wrote:
njbh86 wrote:Other half got a Navy WWI Centenary £2 coin in her change the other day. Allegedly quite low volume, but not sure on value. Anyone got the skinny for someone with bad google skillz?
As you suggest, it is a relatively rare £2 coin - 8th on the scarcity index of £2 coins that are currently in circulation. There were 650,000 of the coins released into circulation in 2015. It retails for approx £4.00 - £5.50 on eBay at the moment. If I were you I would hold on to it as it’s value will only increase in future years. It won’t make you a rich man but it will slowly (very slowly) increase in value with time.
cheers pembs :)

The new polymer £20 note is released on Thursday. The artist JMW Turner is featured on it. Nothing unusual about the new note, but for those who may be interested in these sort of things, here are two notes to look out for:

Look for serial number 23041771 - that is his date of birth
Serial number 19121851 - the date of his death

These could go for thousands. Good luck but I won’t be looking.

Point of note, the Bank Of England say they will make an announcement as to how long you can keep using the old notes but there will be at least a 6 month period.

Craziest coin story of the week, true as well. Switzerland has just issued a gold coin so small that you need a magnifying glass to see it! It weighs only 1/500th of an ounce, is 2.96mm in diameter and has a nominal value equivalent to 20p.

The Swiss have a sense of humour because the obverse side has an image of Albert Einstein sticking his tongue out. Only 999 have been minted and when you purchase one it comes with a magnifying glass! No, it is not April 1st.

There was I thinking that a coin was something that (apart from numismatic value) you kept in your pocket to spend later. Hmm.