Re: Calling all Numismatists

SULLY34 wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
mad norm wrote:Manager of my local Coral gave me a Brexit 50p.. He collects and has a good collection ...he still only has about 7 Alphabet 10p coins. I've not got any yet
If he has any A, B, F, N or T tell home to keep them. They are the rarest. Even the Royal Mint swap shop doesn’t have any of them.

I have not had one at all in my change either.
I've got a T and an A Pembs !

Excellent mate, well done. I still haven’t had any in my change although like most people I have been using the plastic most times lately. Hold on to them though particularly the T.

Things change and obviously the Royal Mint hasn’t been open for me to check their swap change facility to get those 5 coins I need.

However, I have just checked the Change checker scarcity index to see which 10p coins are at the top. The top 5 are now in order, N, T, R, W and F. The A is now 20th and the B is 12th.

In the long term it will all be down to the mintage figures although I heard that they released a similar amount of each coin. Don’t quite get that as if that is the case, why are some coins more scarce than others. Also, if you believe the news, the N is top because people are after that coin because it represents the NHS and has a stethoscope on it. It probably won’t last long as number 1.

Happy coin hunting. Keep checking those coins.

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Evening

Just read Battle of Hastings 50p sold for £63,000.

That’s ridiculous!

It also says they are available for £2.

I really don’t understand that, surely something isn’t right there.

Phil in Northampton
Hi Phil,

Hope you enjoyed your day at Epsom. 25/1 Derby winner, bloody hell, unprecedented.

Anyway, you are quite correct about something not being quite right about the BoH coin selling on eBay for £64k.

It is reported that a BoH proof coin sold on eBay for £64k. Here is a possible scenario:
I have an account with eBay. Every couple of months I get an email from them saying that the sellers fee is only £1 for the next few days. When you pay for something there you have to pay eBay a commission. If the buyer and seller are connected then the money will go back to its original owner. No money really lost. If you then start selling other similar coins at a lower price, people may be tempted to go for it at a much lower price and then there they make their money.

I may be completely wrong with my assumption. I don’t really care. My concern is that I wouldn’t want anyone paying more then £3/4 (or even less) for an uncirculated Battle of Hastings 50p coin, maybe a few pounds more for a proof version. I despise the idea of scammers and profiteers making any money out of people so my advice would be - don’t buy any Battle of Hastings 50p coins at all for a few weeks until the dust settles and even then don’t pay silly money. The Battle of Hastings coin is NOT another Kew Gardens 50p. Even that coin after 12 years is only selling for £135. The BoH coin was only released in 2016.

mad norm wrote:Hello Pembs fount of all numismitiacaulical things
Is the old style £2.00 coin commemorating the tercentenary of act of right worth more than face value? Seems to be unclear on eBay Ta
Hi Norm,
These coins come in different grades;
Circulated
Brilliant uncirculated
Proof

You will pay more as you go to a higher grade.

There are also two types of these coins;
Trecentenary of the claim of rights
Trecentenary of the Bill of rights

The first has a mintage of 346,000 and the second a mintage of 4,432,000. Naturally you will pay more for the lower mintage coin. These are for circulating coins, not BU or proof.

The first goes for about £9/10 on eBay and the second no more than £3/4. Circulating coins only.

However if you buy them in a set you will pay more. The proof set of these coins can go for upwards of £40. They were all produced by the Royal Mint in 1989.

Hope that helps.

Nice one and thanks for your time
It's a long story that involves my bowls club ,ducks,being near the river selling cups of grain
But someone paid for the cup of grain (30p) with a Claim of rights coin.....until you informed me there was Bill as well .So hopefully with a bit of asking around we'll make a few extra pennies for our club
Thanks again
Norm

Norm, the timing of your post is absolutely spot on. If you go to the change checker website, you will see that today, July 7th, they have put up a blog to talk about the pre 1997 £2 coins of which your Claim of rights is one. It is one of seven pre 1997 £2 coins that were issued. You don’t need to log on to see the blog, it is on the first page, under ‘pre 1997 £2 coins explained’.

In a nutshell, with its extremely low mintage, (346,000, lowest mintage ever for a £2 coin) your coin is the most collectible of the lot. It is still legal tender but Banks and Post Offices can refuse to take it if they wish.

Since 1997, the most collectible £2 coin is the Northern Ireland Commonwealth games coin with a mintage of over 440,000. Your coin has less mintage than this. The Northern Ireland commonwealth games coin goes for nearly £40 on eBay. If I were you I would hold on to this coin as it will only increase in value. Well done for noticing it in your change. I would have a look on eBay and see for how much similar coins to this have previously sold. They normally keep a record.

According to change checker, there will be a new 50p coin released later this year commemorating the British Innovators of Science series. Following on from Stephen Hawking last year, this year is said to feature Rosalind Franklin one of the co discoverers of DNA in the 1950’s.

It will feature her name and the words photo 51 which was her X-ray photo that led to the discovery of DNA as a doubly helix by Crick and Wilson.

Black holes and DNA. What will be next? Penicillin or the www I reckon. Maybe even Colossus at Bentley Park in WW2.

At least it beats the crappy 3 dinosaur coins released earlier this year. Wtf was that about? Each to their own but they weren’t for me.

pembsexile wrote:According to change checker, there will be a new 50p coin released later this year commemorating the British Innovators of Science series. Following on from Stephen Hawking last year, this year is said to feature Rosalind Franklin one of the co discoverers of DNA in the 1950’s.

It will feature her name and the words photo 51 which was her X-ray photo that led to the discovery of DNA as a doubly helix by Crick and Wilson.

Black holes and DNA. What will be next? Penicillin or the www I reckon. Maybe even Colossus at Bentley Park in WW2.

At least it beats the crappy 3 dinosaur coins released earlier this year. Wtf was that about? Each to their own but they weren’t for me.
How about transporter bridges?

Just found out that dual dated £1 coins are selling on eBay for £2,500. Absolutely ridiculous. However, they are out there so good luck if you are looking for them. I think the most common ones are the ones with 2016 on the Queens head side and 2017 on the reverse.

Also, crazy money changing hands for some of the new £20 polymer notes. If you find one with solid numbers eg 111111, or 777777 they have gone for £450. Also look out for ladder numbers, I,e. 001122 or 223344 etc. They have been selling for approx £400. Surprisingly the AK47 serial numbers are going for approx £30. Given the popularity of the AK47 fivers I thought they would go for more than this.

Hows this for luck...
Went for my weekly treat of chip shop 2 Cod Dips and Small chips in Brynmawr last Thursday ...(don't tell the wife as I am supposed to be dieting :lol: )
Anyway...
I gave the lady behind the counter a £10 note to pay for the food which came to £4.80..... In my change which I put into my pocket without even checking it she gave me 2 x £2 coins , 2 x 50p coins and a 20p coin.......
I didnt think anything of it

Came home from work , did the usual thing when taking your trousers off....shrapnel all over the floor :lol: On closer examination I noticed that both the £2 coins were Issac Newton coins ( the ones with a Man and Ape on them) and one of my 50p coins was a KEW GARDEN .
All were dirty and obviously been in circulation for a while so I put them in a cup of vinegar and salt for a few minutes and then rinsed them under the tap..They have come up a treat

neilcork68 wrote:Hows this for luck...
Went for my weekly treat of chip shop 2 Cod Dips and Small chips in Brynmawr last Thursday ...(don't tell the wife as I am supposed to be dieting :lol: )
Anyway...
I gave the lady behind the counter a £10 note to pay for the food which came to £4.80..... In my change which I put into my pocket without even checking it she gave me 2 x £2 coins , 2 x 50p coins and a 20p coin.......

Came home from work , did the usual thing when taking your trousers off....shrapnel all over the floor :lol: On closer examination I noticed that both the £2 coins were Issac Newton coins ( the ones with a Man and Ape on them) and one of my 50p coins was a KEW GARDEN .
All were dirty and obviously been in circulation for a while so I put them in a cup of vinegar and salt for a few minutes and then rinsed them under the tap..They have come up a treat
It’s great to read someone else’s enthusiasm about finding valuable coins. Bloody nice to read. However, I don’t want to appear pedantic, but, the £2 coins you described are Charles Darwin, not Isaac Newton :grin: They are probably worth double face value each at the moment.

The Isaac Newton coin is actually a 50p. If you have some of those they are worth about £10/£12 each on eBay at the moment.

Now the good news :cheers: . The Kew Gardens 50p that you have is a winner. If you are looking to sell, they are going on eBay at the moment for approx £180/£190. Crazy, crazy money. The price will probably crash slightly in the future but whilst lockdown is on the only way is up as people at home turn to sedentary hobbies.

Oops again, now back to the bad news. Sorry, but I don’t recommend your cleaning method of coins. For circulated coins only, warm water, a soft toothbrush and a minuscule, minuscule amount of fairy liquid, with delicate hands is the only way to clean them. This is for circulated coins only. For Brilliant uncirculated and proof coins do not attempt under any circumstances to clean them.

If you try to sell them to collectors, one of the first things they do is check under a strong magnifying lens for scratches and blemishes. They will spot any amateur attempt at cleaning and the value will go down significantly.

I know that you have explained that your coin is circulated, but I’m just looking to get the overall message out to anyone who is interested in general coin cleaning.

Keep looking for those coins - a tidy profit there. Well done. :cheers:

Anyone else found something valuable lately?

pembsexile wrote:
Anyway...

It’s great to read someone else’s enthusiasm about finding valuable coins. Bloody nice to read. However, I don’t want to appear pedantic, but, the £2 coins you described are Charles Darwin, not Isaac Newton :grin: They are probably worth double face value each at the moment.

The Isaac Newton coin is actually a 50p. If you have some of those they are worth about £10/£12 each on eBay at the moment.

Now the good news :cheers: . The Kew Gardens 50p that you have is a winner. If you are looking to sell, they are going on eBay at the moment for approx £180/£190. Crazy, crazy money. The price will probably crash slightly in the future but whilst lockdown is on the only way is up as people at home turn to sedentary hobbies.

Oops again, now back to the bad news. Sorry, but I don’t recommend your cleaning method of coins. For circulated coins only, warm water, a soft toothbrush and a minuscule, minuscule amount of fairy liquid, with delicate hands is the only way to clean them. This is for circulated coins only. For Brilliant uncirculated and proof coins do not attempt under any circumstances to clean them.

If you try to sell them to collectors, one of the first things they do is check under a strong magnifying lens for scratches and blemishes. They will spot any amateur attempt at cleaning and the value will go down significantly.

I know that you have explained that your coin is circulated, but I’m just looking to get the overall message out to anyone who is interested in general coin cleaning.

I found the Sistene Chapels ceiling in my back garden. but I think it maybe a fake

pembsexile wrote:
Anyway...

I dont know why I thought they were Issac Newton...I should have known better to know it was Charles Darwin :oops:
As for the cleaning I put ''How to best clean circulated coins'' into Google and that came up as the best method