Re: Calling all Numismatists

Hi DeePee
Keep it mate. Along with judo and football it has the lowest Olympic mintage therefore the highest value. Selling for approx £5 on eBay now.
I’d make a set of 29 Olympic coins with it but that gets harder as coin collectors take them out of circulation to make their own sets. Bloody coin collectors!

Coin update. It was announced this week that last year the Royal Mint did not release any 1p or 2p coins into general circulation at all. They are very clever in how and when they release the mintage figures for a particular coin. Sometimes it can take up to 18 months from the end of the year before the mintage figures are released. They have been quite quick this time - 7 months. This is deliberate.

However, the coins are available in Annual commemorative sets both proof and brilliant uncirculated versions. As I have mentioned previously, if you have any spare cash, invest in the annual commemorative sets as when the mintage figures are released in the future, the coins (and therefore the set) will increase significantly in value. I'll bet that pretty soon the commemorative sets for 2018 will be selling for much more than their previous face value - £150 and £45 respectively.

Further update. Just been announced that no £2 coins were released in 2018 either. That means no £2 coins have been released into general circulation since 2016. There is money (no pun intended) to be made there.

Also it looks like the Royal Mint will be producing a 50p to commemorate Brexit in October. Buy one and watch out for the mintage figures. When we joined the Common market in the 70's the Royal Mint released a coin then that is now one of the most valuable 50p that you can get.

If you are in it for the money (pun intended) there is profit to be made in coins. Medium to long term profit though, not short term.

Great blog on the change checker website yesterday (can’t do the link sorry) explaining about the 1983 two pence coins. In that year the coin wording changed from ‘new pence’ to ‘two pence’. There are a lot out there and they change hands for hundreds of pounds. Good luck if you look for them. The ones to look for are 1983 2p, saying ‘new pence’. They are the valuable ones.

I had mentioned previously about the lack of the alphabet 10p coins in Pembrokeshire. Last week my wife showed me 3 she had found in one day. Like buses, wait ages and then 3 turn up at once. Note of interest - the Royal Mint have started selling these circulating coins at their shop, in containers, not packaged. Never seen anything like that before. Great way to get kids interested I suppose.

Morning mate
Got thousands of 2p coins in a huge jar.
What are they worth ie 1983 new pence.
Just don't get anything 50p or £2 anymore in change with different designs.
Still got my Royal mint folders to put them in but still loads missing after years looking.
Daughter has left the mint (engraver), appears seriously going down hill with no demand for coin currency.
Very Artistic so she is going to do a masters starting September.
Might of told you she designed the VC 50p

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Morning mate
Got thousands of 2p coins in a huge jar.
What are they worth ie 1983 new pence.
Just don't get anything 50p or £2 anymore in change with different designs.
Still got my Royal mint folders to put them in but still loads missing after years looking.
Daughter has left the mint (engraver), appears seriously going down hill with no demand for coin currency.
Very Artistic so she is going to do a masters starting September.
Might of told you she designed the VC 50p
The 1983 'new pence' coin sells for about £500 - £700 on the secondary coin market! If you can get one as part of a 1983 set, they go for £1000. Crazy.

You are right about the Royal Mint mate, less and less coins produced there as we move to a cashless society. No £2 coins issued since 2016, no 20p in 2017 and no 1's or 2's last year. They are trying to make money in their shop by selling T towels, cups and the like. It's the Royal Mint ffs.

Hope your daughter gets her Masters OK. Hard work that. Took me 3 years part time.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Stupid question, but can you actually get a Royal Mint folder to put 50ps etc in? I've got about 16 different designs now, including a couple of the so-called 'less common' designs. Did once have most of the Olympics set until I left them lying around and the pesky kids mistook them for pocket money!
Got one for 50p & £2 coins.
Probably order from the Mint direct.
They did old £1 coins and Beatrix Potters as well.

Cheers

Good Morning!

DeePee, I have a folder, the kids got it for me last Christmas. It’s from “Change Checker”
Available from Amazon at different prices around a tenner.
I was inspired by Mikes ramblings a few years ago, it’s a nice bit of fun and conversation topic. It’s good to come across a new one for the collection but doesn’t happen often. Probably got about forty or so now including some rarer ones. (Football offside?)

Just copied the blurb from the selling page, just google “change checker album “

What's Included?
Included are presentation pages and identification cards to hold all coins that are currently in circulation in the UK - the many two pound and 50 pence coin designs, as well as the new 12 sided one pound coin. The album provides the perfect way to discover and collect the treasure in your pocket.

There are now almost 100 designs to find in your change, including all 29 sports in the Olympic 50p series, the Beatrix Potter 50ps and the rarest coin in circulation - the Kew Gardens 50p!

Good Luck with your fascinating new hobby!

Phil in Northampton

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:Stupid question, but can you actually get a Royal Mint folder to put 50ps etc in? I've got about 16 different designs now, including a couple of the so-called 'less common' designs. Did once have most of the Olympics set until I left them lying around and the pesky kids mistook them for pocket money!

Hi mate, as Phil has mentioned, yes, you can get them from both Change checker and the Royal Mint. The difference being the change checker folders don't usually have an imprint of the coin in the space you will put it. The Royal Mint folders do.

However, the Royal Mint have cottoned on to album purchases. Two years ago they sold 50p and £2 folders for £5. Now they sell them in sets, volume1, volume2 etc. They sell for £5 each and only hold about 8 coins. You will need about 4/5 albums for the set for £2 coins. Unfortunately they have stopped selling folders for Olympic coins. If you check on eBay for those they go for upwards of £20. For a bloody folder! Ridiculous. As Phil says, a fascinating hobby though.

Good Afternoon!

Mike, I know you love collecting all sorts of currency but at what point would an item you come across be too valuable to keep and you would sell it?

When if ever, do collectors “cash in” on their lifelong hobbies? For sure the receivers in the will almost certainly do so fairly promptly!

Do you specifically leave the collection to someone sympathetic and likely to keep it intact for posterity?

I sold a boyhood collection of “things” which cost me nothing to acquire nearly fifty years ago. I put them on e-bay a couple of years ago, had great fun for a few months selling them off and made a couple of hundred quid... but what were they? I’ll let you guess for a while!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Afternoon!

Mike, I know you love collecting all sorts of currency but at what point would an item you come across be too valuable to keep and you would sell it?

When if ever, do collectors “cash in” on their lifelong hobbies? For sure the receivers in the will almost certainly do so fairly promptly!

Do you specifically leave the collection to someone sympathetic and likely to keep it intact for posterity?

I sold a boyhood collection of “things” which cost me nothing to acquire nearly fifty years ago. I put them on e-bay a couple of years ago, had great fun for a few months selling them off and made a couple of hundred quid... but what were they? I’ll let you guess for a while!

Phil in Northampton
Hi Phil,

I'm not lucky enough yet to have any coins of really significant value. Apart from swapping, I haven't sold any yet. The most (I think) valuable coin I have is a new £1 coin with 2016 on one side and 2017 on the other. At the moment I have no idea how much it is worth. If it got to silly money I would sell it, no problem. I like a coin to have an aesthetic value and I don't particularly like the new £1.

My aim and delight is making up sets. I have all sorts, 50p, old £'s, Olympic 50p, £2, Beatrix Potter 50p to name a few. Individually the coins may not be worth a lot but because of their low mintage on some, the sets can be worth hundreds. For example, the Kew Gardns 50p can be sold for £100. If it is part of the 50p set in a RM folder, the set can go for 3 times that. The Northern Ireland £2 Commonwealth games coin individually goes for about £30, but as part of the £2 coin set, (37 coins in all)' it can and does go for hundreds. My bugbear with sets is the albums. They cost an incredible amount, absolutely crazy but if you want to show them it is best to put them in an album.

All my coins will eventually go to my grandkids. My 4 year old granddaughter is fascinated by the Beatrix Potter set and loves the Great Fire £2, so those will go to her. Two of my grandsons are a bit interested as well, so the coins will be divided amongst them.

Like you I use the change checker folder for brilliant uncirculated 50p's. I use Royal Mint folders for the £2 coins.

The difficulty I have is in getting my daughter to take an interest so that she can share them out fairly when I am gone. They are all labelled though. Boring old f**t me. Love it though.

As I have said before, buy annual commemorative sets if you can because the RM doesn't release the mintage figure for ages and you might have a valuable coin without knowing about it for some time. Happy coin hunting!! :grin: