Calling all Numismatists

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

1784

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby Willthiswork » June 26th, 2018, 8:05 am

pembsexile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:I don't see the point of buying them or getting them direct from the Mint. The fun of collecting them is getting them in your change for me!


I see your point but you will have a very long wait if you try and get all the coins that way. The following coins are very, very difficult to get that way as most have been taken out of circulation by collectors;

50p Wrestling Olympic coin
50p Football offside Olympic coin
£2 Commonwealth games, Northern Ireland
50p Kew Gardens

Good luck.


I do have them ones! It helps with family running a pub - lots of drunk change! :D
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » June 29th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Willthiswork wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:I don't see the point of buying them or getting them direct from the Mint. The fun of collecting them is getting them in your change for me!


I see your point but you will have a very long wait if you try and get all the coins that way. The following coins are very, very difficult to get that way as most have been taken out of circulation by collectors;

50p Wrestling Olympic coin
50p Football offside Olympic coin
£2 Commonwealth games, Northern Ireland
50p Kew Gardens

Good luck.


I do have them ones! It helps with family running a pub - lots of drunk change! :D


Ah nice one, that does give you a distinct advantage. It's not the G in Christchurch is it? I know the Landord there is a big coin collector. (Other pubs are available).
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 1st, 2018, 8:51 am

Coin update. First in a three coin series (1 each year) of Captain Cook anniversary £2 coins has just been released.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10062

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 3rd, 2018, 11:03 pm

My house was built in 1897. Doing a little bit of renovation work I found a penny, no doubt dropped by a builder, the penny is dated 1896. I have no doubt it is of very little value, nonetheless it was interesting to think that someone long gone had dropped it and in a way a little sad.
no avatar
User

The Newport

Posts

231

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby The Newport » July 4th, 2018, 1:57 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:My house was built in 1897. Doing a little bit of renovation work I found a penny, no doubt dropped by a builder, the penny is dated 1896. I have no doubt it is of very little value, nonetheless it was interesting to think that someone long gone had dropped it and in a way a little sad.



Here's something for you to look at Stan.

1. https://www.google.com/search?q=one%20p ... =firefox-b

2. http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Past ... archtype=1

3. https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-ki ... toria.html

4. https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/1896-penny

5. http://british-coin-price-guide.homelin ... ge1083.htm

6. https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/82255

7. https://www.coins-auctioned.com/auction ... -j-39-1022

8. https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/5ke ... -1896.html

9. https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/wor ... id-1324906

I hope the links help you in some way.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10062

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 4th, 2018, 7:27 am

The Newport wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My house was built in 1897. Doing a little bit of renovation work I found a penny, no doubt dropped by a builder, the penny is dated 1896. I have no doubt it is of very little value, nonetheless it was interesting to think that someone long gone had dropped it and in a way a little sad.



Here's something for you to look at Stan.

1. https://www.google.com/search?q=one%20p ... =firefox-b

2. http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Past ... archtype=1

3. https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-ki ... toria.html

4. https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/1896-penny

5. http://british-coin-price-guide.homelin ... ge1083.htm

6. https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/82255

7. https://www.coins-auctioned.com/auction ... -j-39-1022

8. https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/5ke ... -1896.html

9. https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/wor ... id-1324906

I hope the links help you in some way.



Wow, booking the flights to Rio as we speak!!!!
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 4th, 2018, 9:09 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:My house was built in 1897. Doing a little bit of renovation work I found a penny, no doubt dropped by a builder, the penny is dated 1896. I have no doubt it is of very little value, nonetheless it was interesting to think that someone long gone had dropped it and in a way a little sad.


Morning Brendan,
Just checked my British coins market value yearbook for this coin. In extremely fine condition it is worth £12. If it is in Brilliant uncirculated condition (very doubtful given the location of the find), it would have been worth £70. Don't spend all your retirement fund just yet! :grin:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10062

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 4th, 2018, 12:21 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:My house was built in 1897. Doing a little bit of renovation work I found a penny, no doubt dropped by a builder, the penny is dated 1896. I have no doubt it is of very little value, nonetheless it was interesting to think that someone long gone had dropped it and in a way a little sad.


Morning Brendan,
Just checked my British coins market value yearbook for this coin. In extremely fine condition it is worth £12. If it is in Brilliant uncirculated condition (very doubtful given the location of the find), it would have been worth £70. Don't spend all your retirement fund just yet! :grin:



Morning Mike,

Sod it. I was planning to have a couple of weeks in Rio, planning County's new 20,000 all seater stadium.

Joking aside I found it quite moving. I couldn't help but wonder whether the person who dropped it was some old craftsman or some young bright eyed apprentice. Whether they lived a long happy life, or whatever.

I suppose that for those who collect old coins that touching of history is part of the attraction?

Brendan
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 4th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Interesting Brendan. I have never really thought of it that way. A lot of the coins I buy are still in the original packaging so there has been no human contact at all. A lot of other coins that I have obtained are via eBay so they could have been touched by hundreds. So, I was going to say that 'touching of history' is not part of the attraction for me.

Then I remembered that I have two special sets of coins. One of these is a 1885 sovereign and the other is a series of old £1 coins kept in a plastic disc of the type taxi drivers used to use. Their monetary value is only face value. Both of these have been given to me by my late father. There is no way they will leave my possession and so will be passed to the next generation. Sentimentality eh?
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Posts

1609

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby phil_in_npton » July 21st, 2018, 8:57 am

Good Morning!

Wow! 6 pages on coin collecting!
I have just read through it all and I am fascinated and inspired. I never realised the complexity of the stuff we handle every day!
Some may say what a lot of saddo’s but that applies to any hobby or pastime from the outside.
A few questions first, we have a big jar of 1, 2, 5,10 and 20p’s. Is it worth trawling through them for anything special!
If I wanted to start collecting at a low level, not purchasing over the odds, would the 50p’s be a good idea?
I never realised there were so many different designs in sets.
Mike, do you mainly deal in decimal currency or go back to all the “half a crown” and “tanner” days?
On an aside, a board game I enjoyed playing as a youngster (and now if anyone can be persuaded) was a game called “GO”. Travelling the world and exchanging money for all the different currencies as you went. It fascinated me to see all the different notes, Dollars, Francs, Marks, Yen, Pesos etc etc.

A fascinating subject and a new avenue to explore!

Phil in Northampton
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 21st, 2018, 11:02 am

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning!

Wow! 6 pages on coin collecting!
I have just read through it all and I am fascinated and inspired. I never realised the complexity of the stuff we handle every day!
Some may say what a lot of saddo’s but that applies to any hobby or pastime from the outside.
A few questions first, we have a big jar of 1, 2, 5,10 and 20p’s. Is it worth trawling through them for anything special!
If I wanted to start collecting at a low level, not purchasing over the odds, would the 50p’s be a good idea?
I never realised there were so many different designs in sets.
Mike, do you mainly deal in decimal currency or go back to all the “half a crown” and “tanner” days?
On an aside, a board game I enjoyed playing as a youngster (and now if anyone can be persuaded) was a game called “GO”. Travelling the world and exchanging money for all the different currencies as you went. It fascinated me to see all the different notes, Dollars, Francs, Marks, Yen, Pesos etc etc.

A fascinating subject and a new avenue to explore!

Phil in Northampton


Good morning Phil,

Welcome aboard mate, it is a fascinating hobby for those interested. A word of warning - it can become very addictive if you let it. It is so easy to get involved.

You have the right idea Phil, yes, 50p's would be an excellent starting point. Might I suggest the Peter Rabbit collection, there are 13 of those in circulation at the moment. Lots more to collect along the way. There are lots of other 50p as well. Apart from the Olympic type there are probably 25 other different types. I can let you know them all if you are interested.

You could also go for the new 10p. They have issued 26 of those, one for every letter of the alphabet. They are all available, some easier to get than others.

My favourite are the £2 coins. 40 have been 'issued' but only 38 are in circulation. I can explain in more detail but it is complicated. They are great fun but very frustrating waiting for the Royal Mint to issue the other two.

Don't bother with the new £1 coins. At the moment there is only one type design although the there are seven different variations. Much more fun were the old type £1. There were 26 of them and I have a few sets for my grandkids when I'm gone.

Yes, don't just get rid of your jar of coins. Look out for;

20p without a date on it. Worth about £40
£2 Northen Ireland Commonwealth games, £35
50p Kew Gardens, £70
50p Jemima Puddleduck, £8

If you are really interested, go to the change checker website. All the info for new startrs will be there. They can give you much more info than I. They even have a collection and swap page, it's very good.

If you go on eBay, be warned. Lots of fakes there and people selling coins with the 'edge lettering' the wrong way up. This is nonsense, it is a random process during the minting.

If you need any specific info on your coins just PM or txt me, no problem at all, I will be glad to help. I have a few reference books and can always get the info on UK coins. I collect all UK coins going as far back as the 'hammered' variety from hundreds of years ago. Don't have many of them though, but have info on them. I have a few foreign coins but not much other than holiday money from the US, Hungary and Poland. Hope this all helps mate.
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Posts

1609

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby phil_in_npton » July 21st, 2018, 8:32 pm

Thanks a lot!

Regarding the value, while owning a “rare” one must be great, would you ever actually sell it to get the money?

Phil in Npton
User avatar
User

phil_in_npton

Posts

1609

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby phil_in_npton » July 21st, 2018, 8:36 pm

whoareya wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:I've been in the Vulcan!


Yeh, but have you ever cabbed a Deltic?


Good Evening Whoareya

Think your comment went above everyone’s head!

Don’t worry, I have, along with Peaks, Westerns and Hymeks, but your sordid secret is safe with me!

Phil, spotted in Npton
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 22nd, 2018, 9:25 am

phil_in_npton wrote:Thanks a lot!

Regarding the value, while owning a “rare” one must be great, would you ever actually sell it to get the money?

Phil in Npton


Never have Phil. Still building up my collection. I just like to know that it has value.

Edit. There is one coin that I would sell actually. I have no idea how much it is worth at the moment as I can't find out. I have a new £1 coin with the date of 2017 on one side and 2016 printed on the other. There are some serious collectors who would pay decent money for things like this. I'm not one of them.
Last edited by pembsexile on July 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Posts

5613

Location

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby pembsexile » July 22nd, 2018, 12:14 pm

Note to Exile 1976 - You mentioned that your daughter in the States was looking for the territory state quarters. If she goes on to the UK 'change checker' website they have just published a blog on the coins. They are offering the 6 territory quarters issued in 2009 for £15. She may have to purchase some other coins as well in the future but I didn't look too far into the blog for the specific details on that. Worth a look I reckon.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ®