Billy Graham Dies

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Billy Graham Dies

Postby Blackandamber » February 21st, 2018, 11:29 pm

A tremendous man of God. Probably the most influential evangelist of the 20th century. Now in the presence of the Lord and Saviour he loved so much. He reached more for Christ than anyone else.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Billy Graham Dies

Postby mad norm » February 22nd, 2018, 12:08 am

My Mum And Dad were Methodists and could not get the hang of him
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » February 23rd, 2018, 9:45 am

mad norm wrote:My Mum And Dad were Methodists and could not get the hang of him

There will be no Methodists, Anglicans, Catholics, Pentecostals, Presbyterians or any other denominations in heaven or hell.

There's only one way to be saved and go to heaven.
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

MT

Postby Exile 1976 » February 23rd, 2018, 11:35 am

If you believe that , good on you.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » February 23rd, 2018, 4:01 pm

I have no idea whether there is oblivion or another life awaiting us when we die. Unlike the Pope or Richard Dawkins I lack anything approaching certainty. However if there is a loving God I somehow doubt he is as petty as most Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus and would thus condemn the unsure to the fires of Hell for eternity. :grin:
User

Jackorias

Rank

Administrator

Postby Jackorias » February 23rd, 2018, 10:06 pm

Blackandamber wrote:

There will be no Methodists, Anglicans, Catholics, Pentecostals, Presbyterians or any other denominations in heaven or hell.

I'm genuinely curious and I in no terms putting this forward maliciously but if I may, could I ask some questions?

Have you considered that sociologists have estimated that there are approximately 4,200 belief systems in the world we know today and followers of each one believe just as strongly in their convictions as you do in yours. What makes yours truer than 4,199 others?

Would you sacrifice your child for God if he asked?

Why do you hold privilege and enjoy the comfort and spoils of living in a western world built on the back of scientific advancement in infrastructure, medicine and technology whilst vast swathes of people in the third world die eating mud-pies and malaria, all under an ever-watching, all knowing Lord and savior? Are they not equal?

What's your stance on atheism?

Just curious.
User

newgroundrodney

Cardiff, UK

Postby newgroundrodney » February 24th, 2018, 2:09 pm

I hope the heaven he believed in is there for him. Doesn't he have to wait for the 'resurrection of the righteous' to happen first though, or has he ALREADY gone to heaven? That's what I misunderstand about 'the churches', is what they say happens to the dead, and when it's meant to happen.
So an elderly man with his firm beliefs, has died, having persuaded a great multitude that his beliefs are real. If he's right, he's amazing....if he's wrong, he has deceived a great many people.
To answer the point made about people being unsure, I know that in Islam for example, it's very definite that people will be sent to a fiery hell (called Jahanam) and punished for an indefinite time, simply for not believing. In Islam, to die in unbelief is just about the worst state you can leave this world, similar to dying in an 'unsaved' state in Christianity.

Rest in Peace Billy Graham, for you did your bit to do what you felt was right. May your deeds go before you.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2018, 10:54 am

IMHO opinion Billy Graham was the best preacher of the 20th century because he didn't talk about himself and he didn't ask people for money. His simple message was that every person is separated from God by sin but Jesus Christ has bridged the gap between humanity and God by dying on the cross to forgive sin. Each person must then decide whether to accept Christ (and his forgiveness) or reject Christ, and then to submit to him and follow him thereafter.

Each person will stand before God after death, and based on their acceptance or rejection of Christ will go either to heaven or hell. If a person rejects God all his life, then he will be without God for eternity. It's a free choice.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2018, 11:01 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I have no idea whether there is oblivion or another life awaiting us when we die. Unlike the Pope or Richard Dawkins I lack anything approaching certainty. However if there is a loving God I somehow doubt he is as petty as most Christians, Jews, Muslims and Hindus and would thus condemn the unsure to the fires of Hell for eternity. :grin:

Do you think it was petty when God sent Jesus Christ to die in agony for your sins Brendan? It is precisely because he is a loving God that he wants everyone to be saved from the fires of hell. But he is a just God as well as a loving God, so he sent Jesus, the sinless Lamb of God, to pay the price for sin and take the punishment we deserve. Not petty!
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2018, 11:24 am

Jackorias wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:

I'm genuinely curious and I in no terms putting this forward maliciously but if I may, could I ask some questions?

Have you considered that sociologists have estimated that there are approximately 4,200 belief systems in the world we know today and followers of each one believe just as strongly in their convictions as you do in yours. What makes yours truer than 4,199 others?

Would you sacrifice your child for God if he asked?

Why do you hold privilege and enjoy the comfort and spoils of living in a western world built on the back of scientific advancement in infrastructure, medicine and technology whilst vast swathes of people in the third world die eating mud-pies and malaria, all under an ever-watching, all knowing Lord and savior? Are they not equal?

What's your stance on atheism?

Just curious.

Jack, I've no idea about the 4199 belief systems. What I do know that when I was born again in 1981 by accepting Christ, my whole life was changed for the better. I saw the promises of the Bible come true before my eyes. My own wife was miraculously healed of rheumatoid arthritis. I witnessed blind eyes being opened and the deaf being able to hear. I read the Bible from cover to cover, and it came alive for me for the first time. I recognised how God's plan for salvation developed in the Old Testament and came to fruition in the New Testament. I recognised prophesies being fulfilled in biblical times and in my own life time. Israel was reborn in 1948. Many countries released the captive Jews to populate their homeland. The EU was formed etc etc.

God is not going to ask me to sacrifice my own child. He sacrificed his own son as the ultimate sacrifice for sin. I live under the New Covenant not the Old.

God has given humanity free will. The western world is affluent and the third world is poor because of the greed of the western world. There is enough food in the world to feed the whole world. Many charities and hospitals were set up by Christians to help the poor, hungry and sick. One day we will all have to answer to God for what we did with the resources we had been given.

Jesus summarised the commandments by saying we must love God and love our neighbour. It doesn't make any difference if my neighbour is an atheist. In fact Jesus went further by saying to love our enemies. All people are equal, and we have a lifetime to decide whether to accept or reject God's gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » March 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Blackandamber wrote:A tremendous man of God. Probably the most influential evangelist of the 20th century. Now in the presence of the Lord and Saviour he loved so much. He reached more for Christ than anyone else.

Reached more than anyone else? A bit absolute that I reckon. You have written that as a statement of fact when you cannot prove it. Religion is a matter of faith, it's what some people 'believe'. Me included.

You may believe that Mr Graham saved more than anyone else but it is most certainly not a fact. You could have written that last sentence much better if you had started it with 'I believe'.
no avatar
User

Blackandamber

Cwmbran

Postby Blackandamber » March 4th, 2018, 2:27 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:A tremendous man of God. Probably the most influential evangelist of the 20th century. Now in the presence of the Lord and Saviour he loved so much. He reached more for Christ than anyone else.

Reached more than anyone else? A bit absolute that I reckon. You have written that as a statement of fact when you cannot prove it. Religion is a matter of faith, it's what some people 'believe'. Me included.

You may believe that Mr Graham saved more than anyone else but it is most certainly not a fact. You could have written that last sentence much better if you had started it with 'I believe'.

Yes I could have written that last sentence much better if I had started it with 'I believe'. It can't be proved. Also I should have added in the 20th century.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » March 4th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Blackandamber wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Yes I could have written that last sentence much better if I had started it with 'I believe'. It can't be proved. Also I should have added in the 20th century.

:thumbup:
For what it is worth, I do believe that he was a very good man. He had an absolute conviction in what he was doing was right. Good on him. I sincerely hope that he has now achieved what he spent his whole life working for.