Toxic

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Toxic

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm

JonD wrote:I took a sabbatical from this place for a time last year as there were some regular posters who just wore me down.

They’re still here, but the break from them did me the world of good :)

Throw out an insult, inform us of your moral superiority.

Ever hear the term passive aggressive? Come on Jon you're better than this. :(
no avatar
User

westsider

Postby westsider » March 15th, 2018, 12:57 pm

I am far from morally superior (I'm a bog-standard fan) and am no expert in these matters but I've been involved sufficiently in over 40 years of my working life to have a basic understanding. I know none of you so have no personal axe to grind, neither do I have wish to become involved in some of the bitchiness that is displayed on this forum. It does annoy me that there are numerous posts from those who appear to be 'in the know' and will allude to or allege wrongdoing without taking it to a higher level than the messageboard. If it's known that this takes place then don't wait for a meeting - take it to someone who can investigate properly.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » March 15th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
JonD wrote:I took a sabbatical from this place for a time last year as there were some regular posters who just wore me down.

Oh, that wasn’t intended that way, Stan. My stance is more a survivor’s guide to using the forum. If it gets to you then take a break.

Edit: for clarification. By “you” I don’t mean you, Stan. :)
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 15th, 2018, 1:10 pm

JonD wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Oh, that wasn’t intended that way, Stan. My stance is more a survivor’s guide to using the forum. If it gets to you then take a break.

Edit: for clarification. By “you” I don’t mean you, Stan. :)

Don't get me wrong. If the cap fits as they say. I get far too wound up on occasions. That's the problem with passions. I read once that in the north of England old age pensioners deliberately destroying other people's prize pumpkins and marrows before the town show was far from uncommon.

I kinda understand. :grin:
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 15th, 2018, 1:25 pm

westsider wrote:I am far from morally superior (I'm a bog-standard fan) and am no expert in these matters but I've been involved sufficiently in over 40 years of my working life to have a basic understanding. I know none of you so have no personal axe to grind, neither do I have wish to become involved in some of the bitchiness that is displayed on this forum. It does annoy me that there are numerous posts from those who appear to be 'in the know' and will allude to or allege wrongdoing without taking it to a higher level than the messageboard. If it's known that this takes place then don't wait for a meeting - take it to someone who can investigate properly.

That's interesting.

I agree entirely.

Now my problem is this. It is my view that Newport County is far too secretive in it's dealings with the fans. And remember it is the fans who finance this club. Who own this club. Now I've said this until I am blue in the face, I have no problem with people making mistakes.

Because of an administrative error Paul Hayes could not play for three months. Because of inexperience in management of paid employees, former staff receive large financial settlements. All of that happens and more in every organization of County's size. But where there is a culture of secrecy these mistakes go on and on and lessons are never learned. Where there is a culture of openness and accountability mistakes are learned from.

The airline industry has a culture of accountability. As a consequence flying is unbelievably safe. When I qualified as a lawyer I was told by a senior barrister, now a QC that there was one thing I needed to understand above all else. CYA. Always be thinking cover your arse. As a consequence of this culture prisons contain far too many innocent people, far too many guilty people get away.

Go figure, as our American cousins say. :grin:
no avatar
User

westsider

Postby westsider » March 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm

The only issue I have with the call for accountability is that whatever information is shared with Trust Members, fans or whoever, is also shared with the world and his wife. Surely the club has a duty to its staff to be able to withhold certain sensitive information. It isn't possible to give it to Trust members and tell them it mustn't go further - that won't happen, human nature being what it is. Accountability is, of course, important but so is confidentiality.
no avatar
User

Newportonian

Postby Newportonian » March 15th, 2018, 9:42 pm

What we know about the current position on accountability is not satisfactory and for the most part doesn’t work for our fans/shareholders/owners.
What we don’t know is whether or not a more open and accountable way of working will in fact be a disadvantage to the club as it has never been tried.
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » March 15th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Corpaboy wrote:Somebody , somewhere , sometime , once said that this messageboard is "TOXIC" ....

After the last week or so , and after reading some of the recent threads , I'm beginning to wonder if they were right !!??

I appreciate that this forum is for discussing all things Newport County , and everyone has a different opinion of matters on and off the pitch .

But ...... so many times now this group is turning into a forum for certain posters to fight their personal differences in public , all in the name of Newport County , on an open forum for all to read if they want to !!!

Can we all call a truce please and have a big group hug and concentrate on backing Flynny and the boys to "fight til the end" for a good finish to an already superb season ???

PLEASE !!!!!!
CTID

I find it frankly unbelievable that with the season the club has had compared to last year, and the minimal problems encountered despite a variety of challenges, that there are people absolutely obsessed with digs at the board, the manager and anything else that they decide is somehow lacking.

The last week has been entirely off-putting, and I'm glad I've had better things to do than read most of the petty sniping.
User

SJG99

The End of the Hedge

Postby SJG99 » March 15th, 2018, 9:56 pm

westsider wrote:I am far from morally superior (I'm a bog-standard fan) and am no expert in these matters but I've been involved sufficiently in over 40 years of my working life to have a basic understanding. I know none of you so have no personal axe to grind, neither do I have wish to become involved in some of the bitchiness that is displayed on this forum. It does annoy me that there are numerous posts from those who appear to be 'in the know' and will allude to or allege wrongdoing without taking it to a higher level than the messageboard. If it's known that this takes place then don't wait for a meeting - take it to someone who can investigate properly.

Also this.
User

Jack - Admin

Rank

Administrator

Postby Jack - Admin » March 16th, 2018, 2:08 am

We don't want names and phone numbers.

For example, when someone posts something egregious, do I then phone them up and give them a telling off for being such a naughty boy?

This is just silly.

There's a basic set of rules and I think they're fairly easy to follow. We ask members to adhere to them and use the report button if they see something infringe on our guidelines.

Stating your true identity does not inherently mean that your views hold more weight and truth than those who remain anonymous.

I place trust in the wider community on here to recognise a troll when they see one and call them out accordingly.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 16th, 2018, 9:47 am

Jackorias wrote:We don't want names and phone numbers.

Stating your true identity does not inherently mean that your views hold more weight and truth than those who remain anonymous.

I place trust in the wider community on here to recognise a troll when they see one and call them out accordingly.

I have long had my suspicions. Further I am informed by more than one source including Mr Redwood of the following.

The board of directors of Newport County follow this board with great interest. When they don't like what is being posted any number of posters will appear and act in concert to insure that any critical poster will immediately be 'attacked' by a much larger number.

I wouldn't suggest having to register with phone number and name for the purpose of outing or that moderators should call them. It would avoid multiple personalities. StefanKuntz dies and AlanBriant rises from the ashes..
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 16th, 2018, 10:07 am

Jackorias wrote:We don't want names and phone numbers.

For example, when someone posts something egregious, do I then phone them up and give them a telling off for being such a naughty boy?

This is just silly.

There's a basic set of rules and I think they're fairly easy to follow. We ask members to adhere to them and use the report button if they see something infringe on our guidelines.

As I have said many times you can stop throw away emails registering on here look at Red passion for example that stops double triple accounts straight away
User

Taffweigan

Postby Taffweigan » March 16th, 2018, 10:08 am

Toxic yes!! Smearing our board constantly. Running people down for doing good for the club. I personally feel this site should get a full reset and new guidelines so allegations, rumours, potentially damaging posts should be rejected
no avatar
User

excessbee

Postby excessbee » March 16th, 2018, 10:21 am

Or maybe we all take a deep breath and realise that there is a world beyond this message board. The views posted represent a tiny minority of the football going public. Some who post are passionate about the club, others are just passionate about posting messages.

Edit: Of course a few will be in both camps.
Last edited by excessbee on March 16th, 2018, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

The NCFC Hippy

Postby The NCFC Hippy » March 16th, 2018, 10:23 am

Shame it has come to this , but I couldn't agree more with those expressing dismay at this site and some of the posters. This site was once a great lively place to be. All sorts of posters, all sorts of opinions. But I think more and more people got sick of the negativity, sniping, posturing and agendas, I for one took a near two year break to come back to see the same old but amplified..This has driven more and more people from the page so it's just become a near ghetto to pain in the asses. No easy answer really, but real shame the site's been ruined.
PreviousNext