Welsh Baccalaureate

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Welsh Baccalaureate

Postby JonD » July 3rd, 2018, 9:27 am

Here’s its Wikipedia page. I LOLed at a couple of things on it, and shook my head in disbelief at a couple more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_B ... lification

What are people’s thoughts on this? I’m particularly interested in the thoughts of those studying for it / parents of those studying.

My view of anything I consider overtly parochial is tainted by having lived most of my life outside Wales. I have grown accustomed to things like bilingual tannoy announcements in Lidl but I’m opposed to anything that might materially disadvantage our kids v English kids. And right now I feel the WBQ occupies learning time that might otherwise be spent studying something more academically useful.

Has anyone got a pro-WBQ argument? I’m interested in hearing it, so I can at least evaluate my current opinion.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Re: Welsh Baccalaureate

Postby penycwm county » July 3rd, 2018, 6:21 pm

Welsh students are put at a disadvantage compared to their counterparts in England who can take four A-levels in relevant subjects, increasing their chances of getting the more competitive university places.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » July 4th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Blimey, that’s a pro-WBQ argument? Things must be worse than I first realised :)
User

Jack - Admin

Rank

Administrator

Postby Jack - Admin » July 5th, 2018, 10:51 pm

I did it in its inaugural year and to any parents who's children are about to undertake it; I would vehemently argue that you insist that they drop it at first chance.

It's distracting, irrelevant and unrecognised by employers / some universities.
User

BASSALEG EXILE

Newport

Postby BASSALEG EXILE » July 10th, 2018, 11:21 am

I did it as well bit it's a load of crap and schools walk students through it so it is basically an easy pass and most universities accept it. Pointless qualification but I don't doubt that the UCAS points gained from it have helped many kids get into university who previously had no hope.