William Dunlop

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

William Dunlop

Postby Stan A. Einstein » July 8th, 2018, 6:30 pm

I would be interested in your views.

Yesterday William Dunlop a 32 year old motor bike racer from Northern Ireland was killed in practice for a race in Co Dublin. He leaves behind a partner, a child and another on the way.

He was in the motorcycle racing circuit very well known, as indeed was his father and uncle. Both of whom were also killed in pursuit of this sport.

As a libertarian I believe that all people should be free to pursue their lives in whatever way they please. Once an adult you should be allowed to do anything you please unless it violates another person. So whilst I would never race a motorbike I have always believed that if people wish to do so, that is a matter for them.

However I can't help but feel that the woman who has lost her brother in law, husband and son, long before their time has had her life torn to shreds. I am beginning to wonder if some sports are so dangerous that the misery they inflict is so high, that perhaps they ought to be banned.

As ever I would be interested in your views.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Re: William Dunlop

Postby rncfc » July 9th, 2018, 9:00 am

Stan A. Einstein wrote:I would be interested in your views.

Yesterday William Dunlop a 32 year old motor bike racer from Northern Ireland was killed in practice for a race in Co Dublin. He leaves behind a partner, a child and another on the way.

He was in the motorcycle racing circuit very well known, as indeed was his father and uncle. Both of whom were also killed in pursuit of this sport.

As a libertarian I believe that all people should be free to pursue their lives in whatever way they please. Once an adult you should be allowed to do anything you please unless it violates another person. So whilst I would never race a motorbike I have always believed that if people wish to do so, that is a matter for them.

However I can't help but feel that the woman who has lost her brother in law, husband and son, long before their time has had her life torn to shreds. I am beginning to wonder if some sports are so dangerous that the misery they inflict is so high, that perhaps they ought to be banned.

As ever I would be interested in your views.

You're probably right. I'd start with football.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » July 9th, 2018, 9:14 am

Back in the 90s I was branch sec of the Coke ovens I Llanwern and every three years we had British Coal come in to X-ray all the Boys that worked on the Coke batteries because we where working with coal

Anyway one guy was sent to Occ health because his chest X-ray came back abnormal it turned out they found out he had a heart condition one similar to the Cricketer James Taylor and was told the only exercise he could do was walking nothing more strenuous than that

Anyway this lad was a very talented Rugby player so was devastated he had to quit playing and turned his attention to coaching and coached his local side all was going well until about a season later they had an injury crisis on the day of a match they where down to 13 men so he said he would play all his team mates tried to stop him but he insisted and after 8 minutes get dropped Dead

I then went to visit his widow and young family because ISTC his Union wanted to pay for his funeral which we did when I went to settle the bill some weeks later I got talking to his wife and she was very bitter and had started a relationship with another man

Anyway the valley community where she lived where shunning her but as she said her husband didn't think about her or his children when he ignored doctors advice

A very sad story
no avatar
User

newgroundrodney

Postby newgroundrodney » July 9th, 2018, 10:35 am

I think there's the point that he knew the risks, accepted the risks, yet chose to engage in the hazardous pursuit in any event. He is therefore partly responsible for his own death. Having the knowledge that other people in his family had died from the same pursuit (and let's remember this isn't an illness, he chose to do it) the risk lies solely and squarely with the participant.
I don't know to what extent his wife will have been aware of his choice of pursuit, but "if you marry a train driver......" as my old mum used to say.
Yes, it's all about choice, and the freedom to make that choice. Consequences have to be balanced against risk. That's a matter for the individual.
Did anyone see that woman standing on the chalk cliffs somewhere in southern England?.... Those cliffs are prone to disintegrate at any time. Yet there she was, standing on one leg, in what I can only assume was some sort of yoga/spiritual/religious pose, right on the end of some very dangerous cliffs..... a hazardous pursuit indeed!
I'd like to think if she has any Life Assurance policies, they'd be made invalid or at least some sort of exclusion attached regarding, "hazardous pursuits, such as, but not limited to, aviation other than as a fare paying passenger, extreme sports or any other activity deemed hazardous to life, or that could reasonably be assumed to be hazardous"......or whatever the exact wording is.

That's not to say that standing on the edge of chalk cliffs should be banned, but risk accepted, people should be free to explore that pursuit, as long as the CONSEQUENCES are also realised and accepted.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » July 25th, 2018, 12:49 pm

As I get older everything seems like a big risk now ! I think twice about crossing the road !