Mr Stokes

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Mr Stokes

Postby mad norm » August 14th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Well...... there's a surprise
Aquitted.
I wonder if the same scenario with Joey Barton ( e.g.) would have had the same outcome .
:roll:
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Re: Mr Stokes

Postby penycwm county » August 14th, 2018, 9:24 pm

the video doesn't lie...FIX
no avatar
User

mad norm

Postby mad norm » August 14th, 2018, 11:20 pm

As the old saying goes....the camera never lies,only the photographer
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 14th, 2018, 11:33 pm

penycwm county wrote:the video doesn't lie...FIX

He was running self defence. If the jury concluded that he was or might be telling the truth that he or another were threatened he is entitled to use reasonable force.

Now you might say that the video shows he carried on using that force to a degree that was no longer reasonable. Indeed that was the Crown case against him. However as a matter of law the judge would have had to tell the jury to judge Mr Stokes' action in light of the circumstances prevailing at the time. In short not what seems reasonable to them, sat in a warm, safe court on a Tuesday, but reasonable to a person who was under attack on a dark street at one o'clock in the morning.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 15th, 2018, 10:41 am

I for one am pleased :)

He was defending two Gay chaps :wink:
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » August 15th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

He was running self defence. If the jury concluded that he was or might be telling the truth that he or another were threatened he is entitled to use reasonable force.

Now you might say that the video shows he carried on using that force to a degree that was no longer reasonable. Indeed that was the Crown case against him. However as a matter of law the judge would have had to tell the jury to judge Mr Stokes' action in light of the circumstances prevailing at the time. In short not what seems reasonable to them, sat in a warm, safe court on a Tuesday, but reasonable to a person who was under attack on a dark street at one o'clock in the morning.

Stan, not guilty of affray, but would he have been more likely to have been found guilty of a lesser charge e.g assault?
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 15th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Cornish Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Stan, not guilty of affray, but would he have been more likely to have been found guilty of a lesser charge e.g assault?

An approach was made to the judge to put in lesser charge he told them where to go
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 15th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Cornish Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

No.

His defence was he used reasonable force to defend himself or others. The jury concluded that they were not satisfied so that they were sure that the violence he used was out of proportion to the threat posed.

In my view, and I stress it is only my view, in all circumstances I can see why you think he should perhaps have been charged with a section 47 assault occasioning actual bodily harm, rather than with the public order offence of affray. However it would have been impossible then to have accused both he and the co defendants as both would have run the same defence and the Crown would have to have accused Mr Ali of attacking Mr Stokes and Mr Stokes of attacking Mr Ali. Which would have led to the Crown arguing against itself.

My view, and I stress only my view again. Young men getting involved in alcohol fuelled punch ups should be taken out to a country road, soaked in water, told that they are total pillocks and informed it's a twenty mile walk back to the nearest town. The tens of thousands of pounds that this trial cost would have been far better spent pursuing really bad people as opposed to making an example, or at least trying to make an example, of a couple of complete dickheads.
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » August 15th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Irrespective of his acquittal, I'm hoping the cricketing authorities punish him severely, although I'm not holding my breath.

The cctv coverage appears to shows him to be a drunken thug unable to control his temper.

International sports personalities are paid huge salaries and with that comes responsibilities, one of which is to behave as role models to the millions of young fans who adore them
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » August 16th, 2018, 6:36 am

Cornish Exile wrote:Irrespective of his acquittal, I'm hoping the cricketing authorities punish him severely, although I'm not holding my breath.

The cctv coverage appears to shows him to be a drunken thug unable to control his temper.

International sports personalities are paid huge salaries and with that comes responsibilities, one of which is to behave as role models to the millions of young fans who adore them

I disagree with your last paragraph. If you are a politician or any other prominent person who promotes family values, and other such 'social justice' issues then you can be seen as a role model.

To the best of my knowledge the man mentioned has not promoted any social values at all. He is a man who is highly paid to do a job that he loves and millions watch and pay to see him do it, along with thousands of other sportsmen and women. Unless they make a comment about social values etc we should treat them as just highly paid sports people. Role model, no.
no avatar
User

rncfc

Caerphilly

Postby rncfc » August 17th, 2018, 11:55 am

I'm glad. If you threaten to go at someone with a broken bottle you deserve everything that's coming to you.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » August 17th, 2018, 5:17 pm

but they required not to bring the game into disrepute.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » August 17th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Curran must be gutted
no avatar
User

mad norm

Postby mad norm » August 17th, 2018, 11:08 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:Curran must be gutted

Just about to say similar
I hope Sam Curran wins the Euromillions and tells the sad sycophants in charge of English cricket to F@ck off