Local beaches

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Local beaches

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 11th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Tried them all Barry Porthcawl but got to say Aberavon is by fair the best if you haven't tried it give it a go

Of course Gower is fantastic but a fair bit more travel involved
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Local beaches

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2019, 1:54 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:Tried them all Barry Porthcawl but got to say Aberavon is by fair the best if you haven't tried it give it a go

Tenby, for lazing, Manorbier for beauty.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 11th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Tried them all Barry Porthcawl but got to say Aberavon is by fair the best if you haven't tried it give it a go

All lovely Bren

Perhaps I should have been more specific less than 45 minute drive then because we have a dog as well
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

How far from the coast are you in Ireland Bren any nice beaches
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » March 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Go just a little further in to Pembs. Barafundle. Broad Haven South, Newgale, Whitesands and Traethllyfn. A bit too far for Jim’s dog probably but all very good.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2019, 2:23 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:How far from the coast are you in Ireland Bren any nice beaches

About forty minutes drive. Mullaghmore, which tragically is where Mountbatten was murdered, is unbelievably beautiful.
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 11th, 2019, 2:26 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Go just a little further in to Pembs. Barafundle. Broad Haven South, Newgale, Whitesands and Traethllyfn. A bit too far for Jim’s dog probably but all very good.

Been camping in Newgale Mike beautiful beach
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2019, 2:29 pm

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Only know Newgale. Years ago I used to take groups of adults with learning difficulties to Sealyham for a week of outdoor pursuits. One day of which was spent on Newgale.

For what is worth we also spent a day orienteering. And yes I did make the jump into the Blue Lagoon. And having done it once not all the tea in China would make me do it a second time.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » March 11th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Good grief Brendan, if you jumped into the Blue Lagoon (Aberreidy) I'm not sure if that makes you brave or foolhardy or both. It's not for me.

What I will say is this - if you follow the Pembrokeshire coastal path north from the Blue Lagoon after an approx 45/50 minute walk you will end up in Porthgain. Maybe not the best walk (in the top five though) but at the end you have a pub - the Sloop right in front of you. Whatever you do, don't do it on a Bank Holiday as you will not get a seat inside or outside for love or money. It will be rammed.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » March 11th, 2019, 8:38 pm

pembsexile wrote:Good grief Brendan, if you jumped into the Blue Lagoon (Aberreidy) I'm not sure if that makes you brave or foolhardy or both. It's not for me.

What I will say is this - if you follow the Pembrokeshire coastal path north from the Blue Lagoon after an approx 45/50 minute walk you will end up in Porthgain. Maybe not the best walk (in the top five though) but at the end you have a pub - the Sloop right in front of you. Whatever you do, don't do it on a Bank Holiday as you will not get a seat inside or outside for love or money. It will be rammed.

We used to do that walk on the last night. The sloop looked so inviting from the cliff top as you looked down on it in the twilight. And they didn't seem to have a closing time when we got there.
no avatar
User

Cornish Exile

Postby Cornish Exile » March 11th, 2019, 10:38 pm

I remember during the war years, trips to Goldcliff and the Lighthouse were real treats.

However, since moving to Cornwall, we're spoilt for choice.
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » March 12th, 2019, 1:04 pm

"Been camping in Newgale Mike beautiful beach"

Dont go camping at the moment..its underwater !
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » March 12th, 2019, 3:02 pm

penycwm county wrote:"Been camping in Newgale Mike beautiful beach"

Dont go camping at the moment..its underwater !

Always is this time of year. Could be worse, instead of a tent it could be a Police car underwater there. Oh, hang on a minute.....
User

penycwm county

Pembrokeshire

Postby penycwm county » March 12th, 2019, 8:54 pm

5 yrs ago it was a bus !
They are developing the site, installing hardstanding's and fitting glamping pods on the hill, should be good.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » March 20th, 2019, 4:24 pm

The first time I went to Aberavon I arrived quite late at night. In the morning I opened the curtains and WOW!!! had this stunning view of this beautiful beach. I was flabbergasted.

Since those days I’ve moved to Swansea. We’re lucky to have a beach at the bottom of the road, and while it’s not the prettiest I love its proximity, size, the fact we can walk along it into town, and that dogs are allowed on it so there’s usually plenty going on.
Next