Mother's Day... our Mums.

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
User

newgroundrodney

Mother's Day... our Mums.

Postby newgroundrodney » March 31st, 2019, 2:01 pm

Anyone wanna share thoughts and / or memories?
I'll kick off:
My mother was called Audrey. She was from Bolsover nr Chesterfield. She was in service during WWII where she met my dad.
I was youngest of her 9 kids. Two bits of advice she gave me were: "Never use a word you don't understand the meaning of ".... and "Write neatly. Even if what you write is rubbish, still write it neatly"....
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Mother's Day... our Mums.

Postby mad norm » March 31st, 2019, 4:27 pm

Yes,dear Mum...did so much for you with not much return...and didn't pick you up from school wearing ludicrous jogging pants and florescent pink trainers
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » March 31st, 2019, 5:31 pm

Lost my Mam 13 years ago to bowel cancer 13 years ago now

Mothers day is always hard
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » April 3rd, 2019, 8:10 am

My mum was born in Hertfordshire in 1920. My grandad, who’d been a butler (almost all my great aunts and uncles worked “in service”) landed a job in a bank in Newport so the family moved to Graig Park Villas in Malpas.

My mum never liked Newport, but spent a considerable proportion of her life there.

One thing I’ll say for my mum - she was a hard bstard, regularly offering out neighbours during disputes. Not just neighbours actually. She’d square up to all sorts. She had a heart of gold but something inside her head was utterly broken.

As she plodded into her 90’s the thought began to cross my mind that perhaps, somehow, she’d become immortal, and would forever more be landing punches on unsuspecting blokes at bus stops who she accused of eyeing her up. Even she must’ve had her doubts, offering family treasures to my sister and me “assuming that I die”.

Fast forward to 2015. Aged 96, she was ambling around Pill (presumably still offering out passers-by) and tripped on a raised kerb. She got taken to casualty for a checkup. The duty doctor suspected she had dementia so wouldn’t be safe living independently.

Top tip. As soon as Social Services get involved in preparing a care package for your hospitalised parent you need to elbow them firmly out of the way. I didn’t. They utterly finished her. She was kept in the Gwent for three months, and I watched a feisty old lady waste away to a bag of bones who’s mind had utterly shut down. She died aged 96. I could and should have done more, but assumed they knew better (they don’t, they’re governed by regulations and are shyte scared of being sued), and the end result in cases like my mum’s is months of hospital bed-hogging, delerium and death.

But yeah, like UTP, I’d like to opt out of Mothers Day. All these bleeding Mothers Day emails offering me shyte to eat or stick in vases - aaargh.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » April 3rd, 2019, 5:04 pm

JonD wrote:My mum was born in Hertfordshire in 1920. My grandad, who’d been a butler (almost all my great aunts and uncles worked “in service”) landed a job in a bank in Newport so the family moved to Graig Park Villas in Malpas.

My mum never liked Newport, but spent a considerable proportion of her life there.

One thing I’ll say for my mum - she was a hard bstard, regularly offering out neighbours during disputes. Not just neighbours actually. She’d square up to all sorts. She had a heart of gold but something inside her head was utterly broken.

As she plodded into her 90’s the thought began to cross my mind that perhaps, somehow, she’d become immortal, and would forever more be landing punches on unsuspecting blokes at bus stops who she accused of eyeing her up. Even she must’ve had her doubts, offering family treasures to my sister and me “assuming that I die”.

Fast forward to 2015. Aged 96, she was ambling around Pill (presumably still offering out passers-by) and tripped on a raised kerb. She got taken to casualty for a checkup. The duty doctor suspected she had dementia so wouldn’t be safe living independently.

Top tip. As soon as Social Services get involved in preparing a care package for your hospitalised parent you need to elbow them firmly out of the way. I didn’t. They utterly finished her. She was kept in the Gwent for three months, and I watched a feisty old lady waste away to a bag of bones who’s mind had utterly shut down. She died aged 96. I could and should have done more, but assumed they knew better (they don’t, they’re governed by regulations and are shyte scared of being sued), and the end result in cases like my mum’s is months of hospital bed-hogging, delerium and death.

But yeah, like UTP, I’d like to opt out of Mothers Day. All these bleeding Mothers Day emails offering me shyte to eat or stick in vases - aaargh.

I spent an enjoyable few minutes reading this post, I even reread it to my wife.

Really refreshing to read about people as they were, not the image of perfection that is not only inaccurate but does not do justice to those we have loved and who have gone on ahead.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » April 3rd, 2019, 11:18 pm

jond
That was a delightful and humorous post and also a wonderful tribute to one of life's characters...
RESPECT