Simple idea

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Simple idea

Postby Stan A. Einstein » August 4th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I am aware that I get accused of living in a utopian paradise and that my simplistic ideas wouldn't work in the real world. Listening to a Republican senator on the news just now I heard him say 'What can we do?' With respect to the latest mass murders in the US.

Here's a simple idea. I think not giving easy access to semiautomatic assault rifles to troubled and unstable young men might be a f@cking good start.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Re: Simple idea

Postby pembsexile » August 5th, 2019, 4:59 am

What can we do? How about the media stop giving these people the coverage they enjoy. Why do we have news stories about their past lives. That is for the Police and the courts. They thrive on publicity. In their warped view of the world, their anger is more important than other people's lives.

This man was apparently inspired by the Christchurch shootings and said so, (via a document) online, 20 minutes before he went on his shooting spree.

I know you cannot gag the media, but it is immediate attention for what they have done that they crave, don't give it to them, deny them their platform. Closing down the extremist websites would also be a good start.

There is no point in trying to get guns outlawed in the US. The NRA is too powerful. Money and business in the US is far more important than people's lives. It will be people power, people taking direct action that will end this madness. An initiative from the media would be a great start.