Re: Happy Brexit Day

penycwm county wrote:I was celebrating by drinking my cheap Italian fizzy wine bought at my cheap German supermarket.
To be British.

You wake up in your IKEA Swedish bed. Putting on a shirt of Egyptian cotton, an Italian suit, not to mention shoes of Spanish leather, you drive to work in a German car to the American multinational.

On the way home you stop and have a single Czech lager in an Irish pub. After thinking long and hard about whether to get an Indian or Chinese meal you eventually compromise and get a Thai green curry.

Before going to bed, and you know you shouldn't you smoke a French cigarette and have a cup of Columbian coffee.

The coffee keeps you awake and you spend a couple of hours thinking how much you hate foreigners.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
penycwm county wrote:I was celebrating by drinking my cheap Italian fizzy wine bought at my cheap German supermarket.
To be British.

You wake up in your IKEA Swedish bed. Putting on a shirt of Egyptian cotton, an Italian suit, not to mention shoes of Spanish leather, you drive to work in a German car to the American multinational.

On the way home you stop and have a single Czech lager in an Irish pub. After thinking long and hard about whether to get an Indian or Chinese meal you eventually compromise and get a Thai green curry.

Before going to bed, and you know you shouldn't you smoke a French cigarette and have a cup of Columbian coffee.

The coffee keeps you awake and you spend a couple of hours thinking how much you hate foreigners.
Alternatively your golden generation stand up to a monstrous modern tyranny never before seen on an industrial scale in this world. The morale courage of these people allowed them to do this when every single country in the world (including Ireland) was either allied, conquered or neutral to these monsters. Only Britain and our fabulous Commonwealth allies opposed this monstrosity between June 20 1940 and June 22nd 1941.

Apart from the fact that the world still owes us a debt of gratitude for what this golden generation of ours did, I would suggest that this fabulous act entitles their descendants to eat our Indian curry, drink our Czech lager and drive our German cars with a degree of satisfaction that no other country in the world could possibly match.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
To be British.

You wake up in your IKEA Swedish bed. Putting on a shirt of Egyptian cotton, an Italian suit, not to mention shoeus of Spanish leather, you drive to work in a German car to the American multinational.

Alternatively your golden generation stand up to a monstrous modern tyranny never before seen on an industrial scale in this world. The morale courage of these people allowed them to do this when every single country in the world (including Ireland) was either allied, conquered or neutral to these monsters. Only Britain and our fabulous Commonwealth allies opposed this monstrosity between June 20 1940 and June 22nd 1941.

Apart from the fact that the world still owes us a debt of gratitude for what this golden generation of ours did, I would suggest that this fabulous act entitles their descendants to eat our Indian curry, drink our Czech lager and drive our German cars with a degree of satisfaction that no other country in the world could possibly match.

Evening Mike,

Go to a website called ATI all that's interesting. Look up the photographs on there taken in British concentration camps during the Boar War.

You may then reflect that as human beings our record on inhumanity wherever we're from or whatever allegiance we hold, is not something with which any of us can take pride.

Hi Brendan,

Believe me, I do not need to go on any website to see the appalling acts that happened in the lager’s of South Africa during the Boer War.

I am also not some jingoistic nationalist who closes his eyes to the atrocities committed by the government of this country in the past. I also know all about Drogheda and Wexford and the ‘curse of Cromwell’. Crimes against humanity in my book.

I am merely trying to balance the comment you made about the people of Britain now. There is nothing to be gained from tit for tat in this respect, everything that you can say negatively about the British, I will give you a positive one.

pembsexile wrote:Hi Brendan,

Believe me, I do not need to go on any website to see the appalling acts that happened in the lager’s of South Africa during the Boer War.

I am also not some jingoistic nationalist who closes his eyes to the atrocities committed by the government of this country in the past. I also know all about Drogheda and Wexford and the ‘curse of Cromwell’. Crimes against humanity in my book.

I am merely trying to balance the comment you made about the people of Britain now. There is nothing to be gained from tit for tat in this respect, everything that you can say negatively about the British, I will give you a positive one.
I wasn't being entirely serious. I have a fundamental dislike of all forms of Nationalism. There is a great folk song by Ralph McTell called Red and Gold. He was sings of the love of cause, and religion and land, the irony being we love the land but that the land is only ever anxious to confine us.