Re: On petty arguments and off topic discussions

pembsexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:What the moderators should do, is be, erm, moderate....and just delete the OFFENDING comments, and leave the thread itself where it belongs, and let it develop along its intended subject.
Unfortunately that is the path towards censorship.

However, I agree with your sentiment. As has been said many times on here, I see no reason to delete a post unless it is racist, sexist or promotes violence.
What about blatant lies ?

whoareya wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:What the moderators should do, is be, erm, moderate....and just delete the OFFENDING comments, and leave the thread itself where it belongs, and let it develop along its intended subject.

However, I agree with your sentiment. As has been said many times on here, I see no reason to delete a post unless it is racist, sexist or promotes violence.
Well, you’re in a legal minefield there. One persons lie is another persons truth. He said, she said etc. Lies cannot be justified of course, proving one is another matter. I’m not clever enough to give you more advice than that.

However, I’m pretty sure there is someone on here who could give you some good legal advice.

pembsexile wrote:
whoareya wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Well, you’re in a legal minefield there. One persons lie is another persons truth. He said, she said etc. Lies cannot be justified of course, proving one is another matter. I’m not clever enough to give you more advice than that.

However, I’m pretty sure there is someone on here who could give you some good legal advice.
Interesting things legally are lies.

Now I would argue that a lie is any statement made with the intention of misleading. Which paradoxically can mean that a statement which may be factually true can in some circumstances be a lie. Further an untrue statement is not a lie, when I stated that Nigel Vaughan scored our first goal v West Ham, I was not lying merely mistaken. Finally I believe a statement which is not a lie, becomes a lie if when the maker of the statement which is untrue becomes aware that the statement is untrue and does not correct it.

Liars are easy to spot. Every single person lies. There are no exceptions.

Now a lie in and of itself is not actionable. Just as well as we all lie we'd all be in prison. The only lies which break the criminal law are those given under oath or where there is a legal obligation to be truthful. So misleading the police might get you into trouble.

As for libel and slander well really it needs to be looked at the other way. Truth is an absolute defence. And it is not the lie which causes the problem but the untruth. So if I genuinely believe X is a thief and say so, it is not a lie. However if X is not a thief I'm still liable to sanction, even though my mistake be an honest one.

Hope that helps.