Re: Coronavirus - Elderly should avoid LARGE Crowds

Blackandamber wrote:Following our heavy defeats at Grimsby and Oldham, it would seem that Rodney Parade will be a safe place for our elderly supporters (me included) on Saturday. We should all be able to sit at least 6 feet apart. Thanks Mike and the boys for being so considerate by performing so badly to ensure our personal safety at home games :lol: .
I'm not entirely convinced that gates will fall very dramatically, but I shall be watching it closely.
Prior to our recent run of 10 games of poor form, the average number of County fans at home EFL games stood at 3679....
For the home games played DURING the ten game poor run, the highest was 3984 (Orient) and the lowest was 3036 (Crawley), the reduction in attendees being 106 per game, or 2.89%, nothing more or less than natural fluctuation.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:Following our heavy defeats at Grimsby and Oldham, it would seem that Rodney Parade will be a safe place for our elderly supporters (me included) on Saturday. We should all be able to sit at least 6 feet apart. Thanks Mike and the boys for being so considerate by performing so badly to ensure our personal safety at home games :lol: .
I'm not entirely convinced that gates will fall very dramatically, but I shall be watching it closely.
Prior to our recent run of 10 games of poor form, the average number of County fans at home EFL games stood at 3679....
For the home games played DURING the ten game poor run, the highest was 3984 (Orient) and the lowest was 3036 (Crawley), the reduction in attendees being 106 per game, or 2.89%, nothing more or less than natural fluctuation.
I think we would get a more accurate picture with numbers for Saturday and midweek games separated out. We always seem to get lower crowds midweek.

pembsexile wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Some people are saying that this scare is much ado about nothing but some aspects make coronavirus a bit different. It appears to be twice as transmissible as ‘flu and ten times as lethal. So as ‘flu causes death in 0.1% of the population then it should be expected that approx 2% would die from covid19. For old sods like me with every risk factor under the sun, then we’d better keep our heads down for a bit. I think Phil in Northampton made a sensible call.
Thanks for the stats. I am very interested in factual information on this issue and reading your previous posts I know you have some expertise in this area.

Question. I know that maths is not my strongpoint but regarding the death rate you quote, if the Covid 19 is ten times as lethal, shouldn’t that make the expected fatality rate 1%. Unless of course you are counting the *2 transmissible factor as well. How does that work? All statistical information gratefully received.
Hi Pembs, yes I was more or less doing that calculation from figures quoted by a doctor on an online source that I’m afraid I have now forgotten . Others though have quoted a higher rate of between 3 and 4 per cent . Obviously the mortality rate will alter depending on the quality of the medical care in the respective countries involved. I fear though that a substantial epidemic would soon swamp our limited intensive care facilities and the rate will therefore rise. The policy of delaying the peak of the pandemic here is a reasonable one for several aspects, time to develop a vaccine, time to improve IT services and there’s always the probability that the virus will become attenuated over time. As I stoically say to one of my fellow oldies though, the thing is you just have to die of something. :shock:
Meanwhile though I’ll take what precautions I can since I have every risk factor going.
Ps hand washing after any public contact is the important thing, as well as before eating etc etc . Incidentally, face masks won’t do much good except they may help to stop someone with an infection coughing their infection over somebody else!

G Guest wrote:I think that I posted that there are 11 small towns in quarantine in the Veneto. Actually, 10 are in the neighbouring region of Lombardy and only one is in Veneto. However, the Treviso players and officials could live over a wide area of northern Italy. It is irresponsible to bring them to Newport.
I agree. Hopefully they won't be bringing any fans to RP with them. As I understand it in rugby away fans are not segregated so they could be mixing with home fans. That's why I said in an earlier post I hope the stands and terraces are deep cleaned after tonight's match, and of course the dressing rooms and bars. I know this may sound alarmist but why take this unnecessary risk of inviting over personnel from the coronavirus hotspot in Europe?

lowandhard wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
lowandhard wrote:Some people are saying that this scare is much ado about nothing but some aspects make coronavirus a bit different. It appears to be twice as transmissible as ‘flu and ten times as lethal. So as ‘flu causes death in 0.1% of the population then it should be expected that approx 2% would die from covid19. For old sods like me with every risk factor under the sun, then we’d better keep our heads down for a bit. I think Phil in Northampton made a sensible call.
Thanks for the stats. I am very interested in factual information on this issue and reading your previous posts I know you have some expertise in this area.

Question. I know that maths is not my strongpoint but regarding the death rate you quote, if the Covid 19 is ten times as lethal, shouldn’t that make the expected fatality rate 1%. Unless of course you are counting the *2 transmissible factor as well. How does that work? All statistical information gratefully received.
Hi Pembs, yes I was more or less doing that calculation from figures quoted by a doctor on an online source that I’m afraid I have now forgotten . Others though have quoted a higher rate of between 3 and 4 per cent . Obviously the mortality rate will alter depending on the quality of the medical care in the respective countries involved. I fear though that a substantial epidemic would soon swamp our limited intensive care facilities and the rate will therefore rise. The policy of delaying the peak of the pandemic here is a reasonable one for several aspects, time to develop a vaccine, time to improve IT services and there’s always the probability that the virus will become attenuated over time. As I stoically say to one of my fellow oldies though, the thing is you just have to die of something. :shock:
Meanwhile though I’ll take what precautions I can since I have every risk factor going.
Ps hand washing after any public contact is the important thing, as well as before eating etc etc . Incidentally, face masks won’t do much good except they may help to stop someone with an infection coughing their infection over somebody else!
Thanks mate. You are spot on. Latest figures from the WHO website show a mortality rate of 3.46%. Of those, 21.49% are over 80 years old. (That last figure is from a different website).

We are right to be concerned and the government are right in having contingency plans in place.

Blackandamber wrote:
G Guest wrote:I think that I posted that there are 11 small towns in quarantine in the Veneto. Actually, 10 are in the neighbouring region of Lombardy and only one is in Veneto. However, the Treviso players and officials could live over a wide area of northern Italy. It is irresponsible to bring them to Newport.
I agree. Hopefully they won't be bringing any fans to RP with them. As I understand it in rugby away fans are not segregated so they could be mixing with home fans. That's why I said in an earlier post I hope the stands and terraces are deep cleaned after tonight's match, and of course the dressing rooms and bars. I know this may sound alarmist but why take this unnecessary risk of inviting over personnel from the coronavirus hotspot in Europe?
Morning mate.
Looking forward to tonight.
Got to rely on the medical experts here.
To be honest what you are wishing for here wont happen.
They will bring very few supporters though.
Tongue in cheek but feel free to move tomorrow if you want. :wink:

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
Morning mate.
Yeah make sure you keep your tongue in your cheek :wink:. I will have my mask and handgel ready. :grin:

Blackandamber wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:
Morning mate.
Yeah make sure you keep your tongue in your cheek :wink:. I will have my mask and handgel ready. :grin:
Mrs Nouble cannot find anywhere that has handgel at all.
Imagine deep cleaning the Hazel stand and bogs, doubt if it would make much difference.
Anyway hoping for a win tomorrow to stop the rot.
Cheers