Re: Where do we stop

UPTHEPORT wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53020335#

FFS!! I tell you what I want Rome coliseum ripped down they killed Christians there

I want the pyramids knocked down slaves where used

Where do we stop !!
I think that whilst I agree with Cleese, in that many don't get Satire, and disappear up their own backsides as a result, there is a difference between the pyramids, which stand as a monument to those that built them, and a statue such as that of Edward Colston, which stands as a monument to a man who made a fortune selling human beings.

I think the word "Discrimination" a far better word than "Racism".
"Racism" is born out of a society that "Discriminates".
I 100% empathise John Cleese stance
Let's do away with history teachers
Let's start from year Zero.
Hang on, where have I heard that before?
I'm on Facebook and am beginning to wonder why.
Social media is becoming a tool for the disenchanted and spread of totally vacuous semi political bilge.
Good day to you all!

Spot on Stan and Norm. John Cleese gave an example in his interview. He really tore in to the BBC and I completely agree with him.

In the 60’s one of the great characters on TV was Alf Garnett. He was a racist, misogynist working class buffoon. It was brilliantly written. Can’t remember who by now. Anyway, the important thing to remember is that nobody was defending him, his ideas were already out of date. We were laughing at him, not with him.

What I don’t understand is why the BBC pulled the German sketch. It is superb and one of my favourite pieces of TV comedy. I nearly know it word for word. If they pulled this sketch surely they should pull Till Death do us Part. I seriously hope they don’t. The BBC have lost the plot on this one. Political correctness gone completely and utterly bonkers.

pembsexile wrote:Spot on Stan and Norm. John Cleese gave an example in his interview. He really tore in to the BBC and I completely agree with him.

In the 60’s one of the great characters on TV was Alf Garnett. He was a racist, misogynist working class buffoon. It was brilliantly written. Can’t remember who by now. Anyway, the important thing to remember is that nobody was defending him, his ideas were already out of date. We were laughing at him, not with him.

What I don’t understand is why the BBC pulled the German sketch. It is superb and one of my favourite pieces of TV comedy. I nearly know it word for word. If they pulled this sketch surely they should pull Till Death do us Part. I seriously hope they don’t. The BBC have lost the plot on this one. Political correctness gone completely and utterly bonkers.

They’ve taken that episode off because of the exchange with the Major and Basil

The Major says: 'The strange thing was that throughout the morning she kept referring to the Indians as n*****s.' He adds: ' 'No, no, no, no,' I said, 'n*****s are West Indians, these people are w**s'.

'No, no, no,' she said, 'all cricketers are n*****s'.'

Fair enough in my opinion

You are quite correct Exile.

It wasn’t pulled for the German bit but for what you just stated. Fair enough. This morning on a BBC news report that I saw, John Cleese himself agreed to this sketch being edited because of that in 2013. That story is still on the BBC news page.

Ballard Berkeley who plays the Major is one of my favourite characters. The sketch where he says ‘strange creatures, women. I knew a woman once, took her to see India’, to which Sybil replies, ‘really Major, all that way’? The Major says, ‘no, at the Oval’. Hilarious. I seriously hope that is not pulled.