In Memoriam

Frank Bough

Synonymous with my childhood was Frank. Saturdays wouldn't have been the same without him. And so what if, honestly, I thought he'd died at least twenty years ago?

For those too young to remember him Frank was a quality TV presenter who did sports, current affairs, and breakfast telly. And he did it all very well, with a twinkle in his eye.

His career came to a sudden and dramatic end following revelations about his private life concerning drug-taking, prostitutes and cross-dressing. Nowadays I think he might have been able to bounce back from these bombshells but back then TV producers dropped him like a hot potato.

Thankfully the revelations that were splashed all over the tabloids never extended to his love of Stoke City. They spared his family that embarrassment.

Rest in peace, Frank Bough. You were alright.

Re: In Memoriam

Totally professional and unflappable broadcaster. The ultimate Mr Cool. He presented Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon and is nearly as much a part of my formative years as the Beatles. I prefer to remember him as a superb sports journalist. RIP Frank Bough.

Re: In Memoriam

JonD wrote:Frank Bough

Synonymous with my childhood was Frank. Saturdays wouldn't have been the same without him. And so what if, honestly, I thought he'd died at least twenty years ago?

For those too young to remember him Frank was a quality TV presenter who did sports, current affairs, and breakfast telly. And he did it all very well, with a twinkle in his eye.

His career came to a sudden and dramatic end following revelations about his private life concerning drug-taking, prostitutes and cross-dressing. Nowadays I think he might have been able to bounce back from these bombshells but back then TV producers dropped him like a hot potato.

Thankfully the revelations that were splashed all over the tabloids never extended to his love of Stoke City. They spared his family that embarrassment.

Rest in peace, Frank Bough. You were alright.
Agreed.

The obsession of the tabloid press with private lives is bordering on evil. And let's face it very few of us are without the odd skeleton rattling away in the wardrobe.

RIP Frank.