BBC being too politically correct again?

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

DeePeeNCAFC

BBC being too politically correct again?

Postby DeePeeNCAFC » November 19th, 2020, 2:07 pm

The Beeb have announced they will play an editted version of the Xmas classic 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl this year.

It seems they get inundated with complaints each year about one line which MacColl sang "you cheap lousy fa....".

The 'fa....' word is a nasty slur often aimed at homosexual men and I'm sure if the song was new and released for the first time today, it would be banned or censored. But this is a classic right?

Some years ago, The Pogues' front man Shane MacGowan defended her lyrics, saying they weren't intended as an insult but represented the character MacColl played during the song.

It's one of the better festive songs which we'll hear repeatedly over the next few weeks. I'd prefer the Beeb to leave the song alone, keep playing its original format and to climb down from the PC shelf which they're always on.

What do you think folks?
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Re: BBC being too politically correct again?

Postby Willthiswork » November 19th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Just change it to maggott?

The BBC 'censoring' it may just help it get to number 1!
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » November 19th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Come on then everyone.....
I'll go with "I'm dreaming of a bame Christmas". Far more acceptable
no avatar
User

Fu Ming

Postby Fu Ming » November 19th, 2020, 6:08 pm

The most annoying thing about this sort of BBC carry on is that we are paying for these people to sit around and come up with all this.
I have never heard anyone complain about the lyrics before.
If you don’t like a record or article on the radio then press the off button for 3 mins, the record will have then finished.
The sooner we don’t have to pay for the BBC the better, they forget they are there to serve us, not to dictate to us.
no avatar
User

neilcork68

Postby neilcork68 » November 20th, 2020, 1:37 pm

What about the classic one of you must not call them fishermen any more, it now has to be a Fisher person.... Even thought 99% of Fisherpeople are men. Even one lady (am I allowed to say that?) said she and the other 5 females in the entire British fishing fleet didn t have a problem with being called fishermen, as they always have done
User

Ben-NCFC

Newport

Postby Ben-NCFC » November 20th, 2020, 6:34 pm

neilcork68 wrote:What about the classic one of you must not call them fishermen any more, it now has to be a Fisher person.... Even thought 99% of Fisherpeople are men. Even one lady (am I allowed to say that?) said she and the other 5 females in the entire British fishing fleet didn t have a problem with being called fishermen, as they always have done

These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown in a jail
User

Ben-NCFC

Newport

Postby Ben-NCFC » November 20th, 2020, 6:40 pm

BBC1 are censoring it, BBC2 aren't.

Just listen to BBC2 if you're desperate for your fix of homophobic slurs?

Another storm in a teacup manufactured 'free speech'/'cancel culture' load of nonsense.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 20th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Ben-NCFC wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:What about the classic one of you must not call them fishermen any more, it now has to be a Fisher person.... Even thought 99% of Fisherpeople are men. Even one lady (am I allowed to say that?) said she and the other 5 females in the entire British fishing fleet didn t have a problem with being called fishermen, as they always have done

These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown in a jail

If only............ :grin:
User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Postby Marky » November 20th, 2020, 11:31 pm

This is the sort of thing the government wants you to be mad about while they're destroying the economy, democracy and our global standing and killing tens of thousands of their own citizens.
no avatar
User

DeePeeNCAFC

Postby DeePeeNCAFC » November 21st, 2020, 12:12 am

[quote
These days, if you say you're English, you'll be arrested and thrown in a jail[/quote]

Gulp!
no avatar
User

Dogger

Sunny Spain

Postby Dogger » November 22nd, 2020, 11:05 am

The BBC are censoring this Xmas classic & yet play Cardi B singing about her vagina. (WAP). Hypocrisy at it’s finest.
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » November 22nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

I mean really, who actually cares? It's consistent with Shane McGowan and Kirsty MacColl's position on this, as they changed the lyric themselves. As far back as 92 they were using 'haggard' instead.

Just another thing for the 'Outrage Brigade' to wet themselves over, while ironically calling other people snowflakes.

Dogger wrote:The BBC are censoring this Xmas classic & yet play Cardi B singing about her vagina. (WAP). Hypocrisy at it’s finest.

Which has also been censored for radio.
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 23rd, 2020, 2:14 pm

Dammed if they do Dammed if they don't

Homosexuals will be offended but will say similar things themselves