BBC being too politically correct again?

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: BBC being too politically correct again?

Postby mad norm » November 27th, 2020, 10:43 am

Interesting read that Jond
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » November 27th, 2020, 6:40 pm

JonD wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Dammed if they do Dammed if they don't

Homosexuals will be offended but will say similar things themselves

If you're interested, UTP, here's quite a good piece that goes some way to explaining the contradictory response to use of "faggot".

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle ... ot-meaning

Your point is actually addressed
But as with rappers who use the n-word, we need to be aware that those who want to harm us will see our empowerment as an excuse to feel free to use those words willy-nilly and claim that we’re attacking their freedom of speech when we challenge them.

Thanks Jon

They seem to have taken words my nanas used who where born in the 1890s Queer was " How Queer " with something strange happening

Gay was "what a gay day " they where having a lovely day

Faggot was what we had for tea!

All nice terms I now feel taken away
no avatar
User

Percy plunkett

Postby Percy plunkett » November 27th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Watching Tranmere v Brackley tonight,my partner said why is there a woman commentating,it doesn’t sound right,she should just do women’s football.She said the same about the cricket earlier in the year so, she can’t be accused of being sexist,yet the Beeb will still do it.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » November 27th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Percy plunkett wrote:Watching Tranmere v Brackley tonight,my partner said why is there a woman commentating,it doesn’t sound right,she should just do women’s football.She said the same about the cricket earlier in the year so, she can’t be accused of being sexist,yet the Beeb will still do it.

It is mainly seen in employment law but holds good throughout jurisrudence that a woman who discriminates against a woman of the grounds of gender is guilty of sexism. Just as is a black person who discriminates against a person who is black is guilty of racism.

Still it is terrible that the BBC allow women to read the news let alone comment on sport. I blame David Lloyd George for giving women the vote. Let's face it, women are pretty and are good with children and if they simply concentrated on being home makers I'm sure we would all be a lot happier.

Stan 'sarcastic' Einstein. :lol:
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » November 28th, 2020, 6:58 am

Percy plunkett wrote:Watching Tranmere v Brackley tonight,my partner said why is there a woman commentating,it doesn’t sound right,she should just do women’s football.She said the same about the cricket earlier in the year so, she can’t be accused of being sexist,yet the Beeb will still do it.

I think it does take some getting used to. I felt exactly the same when I first heard female commentators, but nowadays I judge them on their commentating merit not their gender. The ex-Arsenal player Alex Scott is streets ahead of most male pundits. She's done an incredible job of breaking down stereotypes.

Having said all that, if I see a hetero couple snogging it embarrasses me, but not as much as if it were a gay couple.
no avatar
User

DT1892

Postby DT1892 » November 28th, 2020, 1:10 pm

UPTHEPORT wrote:Thanks Jon

They seem to have taken words my nanas used who where born in the 1890s Queer was " How Queer " with something strange happening

Gay was "what a gay day " they where having a lovely day

Faggot was what we had for tea!

All nice terms I now feel taken away

I'm fairly sure each of those were used to insult the gay community before they ever adopted them.
Previous